Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:36 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,542,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingP View Post
Except the government we live under allows the states, and the towns, the right to make some of their own rules. If the people of a town feel something should be a rule, then they vote on it. As I recall the exhaust law won over 2:1 in favor when it came up. So what you are saying is you enjoy living in a state where the people have the choice, as long as they make they choices you like. North Hampton said "People SHOULD required a quieter exhaust, and 'Big Brother' NEEDS to step in an help us with that."

I was once in an accident where having a seatbelt hurt far more than it would have if I had not worn one. However, I still feel strongly that it should be a law that you need to wear one. Its not about whether it is ALWAYS helpful, as good things in the wrong applications can still be bad things, the same can be said of anything. Helmets and seat belts help far more than they hurt.

You got me there, I grew up in Maine and they have 'Click-it or ticket' in place, and I forgot that NH does not have that.
NH has a choice, as defined by the constitution, this law will eventually struck down as unconstitutional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 08:01 PM

31 posts, read 72,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Customization of vehicles has been a long established part of Americana, no matter how much one tries to tame it, make it the "norm" or the "cool" thing to do. To some people a vehicle is all that they see, a conveyance to get back and forth to some place.
To others it is a base, a platform to build upon, after market pipes are to motorcycles what your hood scoop may have been to you. There are ways for communities to work with riders for reasonable compromises between noise issues. Keep the decibels where they are..
Yes, I am actually chapter president of a car club that encourages modifying your car. However, despite taking out resonators, catalytic converters, and having louder exhaust, we all keep our cars legal. A lot of us skirt the line, but we can say 'Technically legal'. So I guess the question is, why are they able to enforce the laws in place on cars, and not on bikes? I have a subwoofer in my car, and I can tell you that if I turn it up enough, and drive down the street, I will get pulled over for it eventually. However these jackasses on bikes that think its cool to floor it down the road at 3am are never brought to terms.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingP View Post
Yes, I am actually chapter president of a car club that encourages modifying your car. However, despite taking out resonators, catalytic converters, and having louder exhaust, we all keep our cars legal. A lot of us skirt the line, but we can say 'Technically legal'. So I guess the question is, why are they able to enforce the laws in place on cars, and not on bikes? I have a subwoofer in my car, and I can tell you that if I turn it up enough, and drive down the street, I will get pulled over for it eventually. However these jackasses on bikes that think its cool to floor it down the road at 3am are never brought to terms.
Really? Most tuner cars are far beyond legal and they tear down canal street half the night long..no cops in sight, and when they ain't tearing they are sitting at the lights with their annoying rap blasting. There are jackasses in all groups who never seem to get caught.

What about that drunk who does get caught, ticketed, suspended yet keeps driving/riding anyway? Why? The courts have not done THEIR job and ENFORCED the law, but rather have been far too lenient, Law enforcement doe's not stop at the ticket, but at the gavel as it were.

Ask yourself, how would you like it if your technically legal exhaust is only legal is say Portsmouth, Charlestown , and North Conway? How would you feel about paying a $500 dollar fine in each town your exhaust is not technically legal? Or maybe have your car confiscated? Impounded?

There is a reason these laws are supposed to be state ride. The owner of any vehicle has the right to know their vehicle is up to code anywhere in their own state. They should not have to worry about a frivolous local nuisance law. Buckle up in Canaan but not in Errol?

It's just a variation of the old speed limit change game.. and it's just for profit..nothing else. Now instead of actually proving your exhaust fails to meet a set standard, they just change the standard to make profiting easy, I am confident that common sense will however prevail,

Old 06-24-2010, 03:48 AM

497 posts, read 952,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
What about that drunk who does get caught, ticketed, suspended yet keeps driving/riding anyway? Why? The courts have not done THEIR job and ENFORCED the law, but rather have been far too lenient, Law enforcement doe's not stop at the ticket, but at the gavel as it were.
I know we have really gone off topic a wee bit, but what of the drunk driver who does not get caught? He/she makes it home on their blurry trip; and because they have, continues to do so until that fateful time when the least of which is that they get nabbed for the DUI/DWI.
I have no compassion for these folk, becuase if by chance they kill someone, they feel as if they are the victim.
What of the lives taken and families shattered.

but I'm on a soap-box, so I'll step off.

Society today, just as in the past has had laws and rules chance with the times.
New Hampshirites and Americans have adapted and moved on.

Dave said it well, "There are jackasses in all groups who never seem to get caught".

Old 06-24-2010, 05:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
Dave - IIRC the State law allows for town to set more restrictive laws than the state but not less restrictive laws. Thus if the State noise standard is 105 db at 20 ft the towns could set it at 100 db if they desired. I am not certain about this. I also have a loud, but not obnoxious, sounding motorcycle. If it violated some town noise limit I would expect to be stopped and issued a warning for the first offence. Most owners do not have a sound level meter so how can they tell.

OK, somebody with a set of straight pipes on his Harley has to know the thing is obnoxiously loud but they do not know what the sound is on a meter. I think there should be a Federal law, or at least recommendation, that will allow for loud but not earsplitting exhausts so the riders and the manufacturers have a standard to meet. The town cop can always stop some extra loud jackass for disturbing the peace.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:00 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
and for the record, it's not just bikes with loud pipes (although that's more common), but I object just as much to the souped up cars with really loud exhausts, too! (and to the loud kids)

Old 06-24-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
and for the record, it's not just bikes with loud pipes (although that's more common), but I object just as much to the souped up cars with really loud exhausts, too! (and to the loud kids)
Guess what, so do I but at the same time I object to ridiculous lame laws that leave individuals confused as to where they stand depending of which part of the state they live in. Motor vehicle laws should and have been STANDARDIZED they should remain so.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:42 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,954,062 times
Car guys get bagged as do MC heads when they break the law, and removing cats is a no no.. Car guys get away with that, as to bikers, but when they get caught it is the same.

If you ask me there is way too much Big Brother.

As to visable stickers on my stuff, it isn't going to happen. The only visable stickers on my stuff is inspection. I would remove that in a heart beat too.

I remove all the emblems most of the time on trucks cars and bikes. I know my chevy is a chevy and if the chevy logo cane be removed from the fenders and tailgates I do, the same for my Volvo Car. It has no more metalic or plastic Volvo logo, no more turbo logo.

What for? I took them off my Liberty Bike too, but for paint.

I did leave them on my Kawii Nomad so HD guys might tell my Nomad isn't a HD. but all the stickers are off. These stickers were cautions for saddle bag loading, a sticker on the frame for tire psi, another with a vin number no less, but the real vin numbers are stamped into the frame and into the engine, so the plastic sticker was butt ugly, and besides it's my bike no matter what the gov thinks.

If you ask me the gov thinks all my vehicals belong to them. They force me to keep them in tip top shape, while often times the roads are let to go to hell.

I see no need of the new fangle registration for a bike that is a larger paper than need be, and i must fold that up a zillion times to get it in my wallet and then some how protect it from rain! A bike regii should be made of the paper a hunting lic is. Small and water resistant.

Last year i hit a Jeep Cherokee that hit a moose and the cops mocked at my tattered and faded regii.. I just shrugged. That foolish paper gets heated up when I work outside on cars, trucks and bikes and i sweat. That wallet is old and beat up and in rain like last Sunday when I was up in Lost River unable to see 3 feet ahead in rain, my wallet got a little wet again. Maybe the law should state clearly and that I must own and carry a rain suit too? Screw that.

The law works as it wants for gain and greed half the time or my carry permit would be valid in all states, all of them, just like my car drivers lic and mc endorsement are.

There is too much Gov. There is too many laws. I will wear a lid when I see fit and not when BB does. Live free or Die. So far i remain living.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:51 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,659,967 times
Blame yourself. when the idiot gets on the bike at 2am instead of keeping off the throttle, this is what happens. I have no sympathy for those that think it's a great thing to have pipes loud enough to set off car alarms and rattle windows.

Quite frankly, attitudes like that will be the death of the Laconia rally. Support for it is dying. The vast majority of riders use their heads. Few have no regard for anyone and screw us all.

Quote:
fold that up a zillion times to get it in my wallet and then some how protect it from rain
Ziplock sandwich bag...

Old 06-25-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Blame yourself. when the idiot gets on the bike at 2am instead of keeping off the throttle, this is what happens. I have no sympathy for those that think it's a great thing to have pipes loud enough to set off car alarms and rattle windows.

Quite frankly, attitudes like that will be the death of the Laconia rally. Support for it is dying. The vast majority of riders use their heads. Few have no regard for anyone and screw us all.

Ziplock sandwich bag...

I have no sympathy for idiots that use useless car alarms that do nothing but get set off because they are too sensitively adjusted and then stay blaring for twenty minutes while the dumb owner figures out how to turn them off. Who even bothers to check if the car is being tampered with anymore with so many going off because of a whisper?. You are right the vast majority of riders do use their heads , it's time for cops to USE the tools they already have at their disposal. Laconia ain't going anywhere, anytime soon. What has happened actually is a branching out of what used to be the epicenter as visitors find that there is a whole lot more to NH during bike week then Weirs beach.

As to the few who have no regard, as already stated you will find them anywhere, Parents that allow their rug rats to run a muck, hikers who think the trails are their very own litter bag, fishermen and hunters who leave their cans and broken beer bottles everywhere. We already have laws to cover ALL of these things, we do not need more we need enforcement of what we got.

I still have not heard anyone address how they would feel if their own vehicle ( moms minivan perhaps ) had some form of modification on it ( maybe brighter head lights..mmm ) that one town decided was an offense to them and effectively banned them in their jurisdiction. Would you feel all happy and warm about that ticket you got for something that is legal in most of your own state? Standing against this ridiculous law has less to do about support of loud pipes ( which I freely admit that I do under the maximum of the law ) then just plain old common sense, a attribute that is sadly fading fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire