U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:08 AM

5 posts, read 10,397 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
We are currently living in central New Jersey and lately are thinking of relocating to New Hampshire. We have been to the state several times and my husband (and I) love the place and the people.
Some of my husband's relatives live in Dover area and from their story seems like it is cheaper to live up there than here.
We would ike to spend more time raising our kids (we have 4,5 yo and 3 yo) we both working and by the time we get home we are to tired to play with them. The living cost here is so expensive we can not afford for me to stay home
We realize this would be a big decision considering the economic condition, but we would really like to spend more time with our kids.
We are considering Dover and Rochester since the housing is more affordable for us.
Anybody can help us with few questions??
1. How is the job market over there comparing to NJ. We do not mind taking lesser
2. In New Jersey we buy health insurance for our kids which cost significantly less from private insurance do you have that kind of program in NH?
3. We pay aroun 6000 property tax for our 3 bedroom 2 bathroom ranch house and we are looking for about the same size house in NH how much will cost us more or less? Ours was buit 1987
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 08:00 PM

1,771 posts, read 4,785,841 times
I can't even start to give you feedback on 1 & 3 without knowing "about where in NJ" and "about where in NH" you are looking at. The answer is very different between if you are coming from say- Bergen County...vs say somewhere in the middle of the pine barrens. Likewise with where you are looking in NH. Industry is also very important to know.

As for health insurance for children- no idea.

Taxes- it depends as well...but I'd say they sound "comparable". We don't have sales or income tax though, car insurance is cheaper, etc...

Old 06-17-2010, 04:54 AM

497 posts, read 899,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJMom View Post
Hello all,
We are currently living in central New Jersey and lately are thinking of relocating to New Hampshire. We have been to the state several times and my husband (and I) love the place and the people.
Some of my husband's relatives live in Dover area and from their story seems like it is cheaper to live up there than here.
We would ike to spend more time raising our kids (we have 4,5 yo and 3 yo) we both working and by the time we get home we are to tired to play with them. The living cost here is so expensive we can not afford for me to stay home
We realize this would be a big decision considering the economic condition, but we would really like to spend more time with our kids.
We are considering Dover and Rochester since the housing is more affordable for us.
Anybody can help us with few questions??
1. How is the job market over there comparing to NJ. We do not mind taking lesser
2. In New Jersey we buy health insurance for our kids which cost significantly less from private insurance do you have that kind of program in NH?
3. We pay aroun 6000 property tax for our 3 bedroom 2 bathroom ranch house and we are looking for about the same size house in NH how much will cost us more or less? Ours was buit 1987
I recently relocated from NJ to this great state;

1. jobs are out there, you just have to want to work.
2. do not know about the H/I for kids.
3 paid $12,000 in Bergen for a 50x150 lot....now I pay in the $2500 region for nearly 3/4 acre.
I am also north of the areas you mentioned...up near conway, so I cannot comment on the regions you mentioned

Food/staples cost the same, + - pennies, gas is more expensive.

Peace of mind, quiet, and a better living area: priceless

Old 06-17-2010, 08:54 AM

Thank you for the replies,
we live in Monmouth county, I know Bergen has higher property tax than us here.

Peace of mind is what we are looking for, good for the kids too. They do not need to know stuff they are not suppose to yet.

BF - what do you mean by "industry important to know" ?

Old 06-17-2010, 09:33 AM

2,539 posts, read 5,431,614 times
Try going to nneren.com and looking for comparable houses in towns you could live in. Most include r.e. taxes info...

Old 06-17-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJMom View Post
BF - what do you mean by "industry important to know" ?
I meant that because you asked about the job market it really depends on what type of job market. NH has a good number of medical jobs (like everywhere) as well as some decent technology & financial jobs at the southern end of the state. Of course there are also good jobs in Boston of course (or other/closer areas of MA) but it really all depends on the relevant field. IE- an experienced computer engineer from Lockheed Martin (in NJ) would have MUCH less of an issue finding something in NH/MA than say a refinery machinist from Amerada Hess (in NJ).

Hope that helps!

As for taxes...it is very town to town in NH; but overall you will find the overall cost of living in NH to be less- even if you picked a more "tax expensive" town.

One thing to remember is that Manchester, the "big city" in NH...is closer to Morristown in "city" than it is to any city you're familiar with in NJ. Likewise Nashua is a "nice suburb" in NJ; but is the second largest city here. Not saying that there are not cities nearby and activities or anything like that...just that NH proper cities are of a different scale than you are used to.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:39 PM

BF- My husband is in finance while I am in Healthcare, so Southern would be the place to go?

We are not mall-junkie, we shop food at Stop&Shop and buy cloth anywhere does not have to be at a dept. store (although I know there is no sales tax in NH).
We just like a place where we can take our kids playing or relaxing without having to pay a lot just for the ticket. Taking them hiking, or just strolling at the beach or window shopping downtown and treat them ice cream. That way we can really talk.
My husband has had enough with commuting so I dont think he will consider working MA.

Is Dover a good place?

Old 06-17-2010, 01:13 PM

In between Nashua/Manchester may be an option if he can find work around there. A Healthcare job would be less of a challenge; but as you know the financial sector took a hit world-wide.

Not too familiar with Rochester/Dover area personally- Dover is a college down for UNH, I do know that. Portsmouth also isn't far away which is a very pleasant place to spend a weekend-day.

I'd find the jobs first...then a backup plan...then pick towns. The job is going to be the sticking point, A LOT of towns in NH sound like they would meet your needs.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:21 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,285,685 times
Cost of living is lower , but not as much as you would think. Food is about the same except the availibility of fresh foods is easier. Real estate taxes...depends where.

Jobs...don't expect big salaries and benefits. Shooping...fine unless you need the big malls. Car insurance is cheaper while vehicle registration is much higher. Gas...higher and most have a longer commute so mile driver per year is usually higher. Mass transportation...none for the most part Housing...cheaper alothough some areas can be pricey.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:11 PM

63 posts, read 124,900 times
I live in Bergen County now, and my husband and I have been watching the housing market in Dover very closely since we have decided to move there in the near future. We can get the same house for quite a bit less money and while property taxes are still pretty high, they'll be less than we have here--and no other taxes. We have family in Dover, and they enjoy hikes, riding bikes around the neighborhood, exploring the beaches, and checking out the farms and fairs that go on. There are public pools and ice skating rink, and of course you can hop on the Downeaster and get into Boston for an aquarium or Freedom Trail exploration splurge after your husband has avoided the commute for a while. Hannafords is way better than Stop and Shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire