Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2007, 04:31 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who wants to move to the Littleton/Bethlehem area for a job, and he wants to know how close these areas are to any snowmobile trails that might go through the area. He is also concerned about the noise levels because I read on another board that people in the UP of Michigan run the snowmobiles at all times of the day or night I know that snowmobiling is big in the winter in northern New Hampshire, but could not find the exact snowmobile trail maps for the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 05:07 PM

111 posts, read 485,159 times
Try this site; http://www.snoshakers.com/Maps.html (broken link). Snowmobiles are ridden 24/7 here. The trails are excellent and are maintained by local clubs.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:33 PM

Post Map Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
Try this site; http://www.snoshakers.com/Maps.html (broken link). Snowmobiles are ridden 24/7 here. The trails are excellent and are maintained by local clubs.
The maps were a little hard to read, but it looked like their were a couple of trails that run through Littleton and Bethlehem. Thankfully, I noticed that their were no trails in the National Forest areas. Their also seems to be a ton of trails in far northern New Hampshire where few people live. That must be the area where people "escape" to ride the snowmobiles. How is the noise level overall if they are used 24/7?

Old 05-10-2007, 05:45 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
I have a friend who wants to move to the Littleton/Bethlehem area for a job, and he wants to know how close these areas are to any snowmobile trails that might go through the area. He is also concerned about the noise levels because I read on another board that people in the UP of Michigan run the snowmobiles at all times of the day or night I know that snowmobiling is big in the winter in northern New Hampshire, but could not find the exact snowmobile trail maps for the area.

We've lived in Littleton for a little over a year now. When we lived outside of town on 135, we would occasionally hear snowmobiles, but not to the point where the noise drove us crazy. We now live on a street in town that has trails for hiking (not sure about snowmobiles) - we're on a dead end and occasionally would hear a snowmobile, but again, nothing major. We never heard them in either place after 11 pm.....we have friends in Bethlehem, one on the outskirts, one in town, neither of whom have said anything about the noise level from snowmobiles.

Just curious - Do you know where your friend will be working? (don't worry, you don't have to say if you don't want to! )

Old 05-10-2007, 07:33 PM

Post Littleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by windchimes03561 View Post
We've lived in Littleton for a little over a year now. When we lived outside of town on 135, we would occasionally hear snowmobiles, but not to the point where the noise drove us crazy. We now live on a street in town that has trails for hiking (not sure about snowmobiles) - we're on a dead end and occasionally would hear a snowmobile, but again, nothing major. We never heard them in either place after 11 pm.....we have friends in Bethlehem, one on the outskirts, one in town, neither of whom have said anything about the noise level from snowmobiles.

Just curious - Do you know where your friend will be working? (don't worry, you don't have to say if you don't want to! )
No, he did not saying where he was working. He is, however, looking to move to either Littleton or Bethlehem. What are the advantages or differences between the two towns?

Old 05-12-2007, 09:27 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,964 times
I know more about Littleton than I do Bethlehem, but have been told Bethlehem is the "highest town east of the Rockies" - and it does get more snow than Littleton. (there were times this winter when we had no snow, but Bethlehem would get 6 inches of it). Bethlehem has a very nice golf course and I believe a development of either houses or condos is supposed to be going in somewhere near the golf course....either Bethlehem or Lisbon (I can't remember which now) has a development that's supposed to be going in just on the outskirts. Bethelem does have a movie theater that shows, I dunno, more "of the beaten path" type of movies than the one in Littleton.

Littleton has more of a Main Street than Bethlehem with a lot of stores that do quite a bit of business, as well as the Shaw's, WalMart, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. A lot of people we run into while shopping either in town or at the "big box" stores are from Bethlehem. Admittedly, I spend more time in Littleton than Bethlehem, so haven't really "explored" that areas as much as I have here.

I like both towns - the reason we chose Littleton over Bethlehem was my husband's job at the time was in Littleton and I liked the Main Street <g>....I'm not sure what electric company services Bethlehem, but friends tell us their electric bills are much higher than ours - we're serviced by Littleton Water and Light.

I think it will probably boil down to what exactly your friend is looking for in terms of a town, what it has to offer, etc.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:38 PM

99 posts, read 317,868 times
good

Old 06-22-2010, 06:06 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
I don't like or want any sleds, but there are. All I know is that they run most of winter on a trail system that covers most of NH and you can ride from coast to coast if you want too. Once I lived not far from a trail in the Ossipees, and they didn't really make that much noise, since snow eats noises.

My problem is based on 2 stoke engine stink in my woods. Same goes for 2 stroke engine in water.

A chain saw is work, so I discount that. So all in all sledin here is great, so long as you don't go beatin down a farmers winta' rye, and or do other fools works.

I have groomed and tracked and ridden sleds a lot, I just don't like em in my woods. Maybe if there were a little more respect for the woods and what lives there, it wouldn't bug me as much.

I think the National Forest Service has maps, and any clubs will too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire