Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2006, 09:32 AM

4 posts, read 12,928 times

Advertisements

I am in my mid-20's and will be graduating soon. I am considering relocating from Minnesota to Manchester, due to a possible job offer. I am just curious as to what rentals are available for, as well as neighborhoods to check consider or keep an eye out for. The job will be in greater Manchester. I am willing to live out of the city, as long as the commute would not be greater than 30 minutes. Also, information about Manchester in general would be appreciated (cost of living, people, culture, etc.) Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2006, 10:01 AM

3 posts, read 8,599 times
Default New Hampshire the beautiful... in part.

I love New Hampshire,

and Manchester is growing with a few restaurants of note -- and Nashua is growing as well -- but don't look for anything too progressive when you get there. Be sure to visit a certain dive bar in Nashua called Penuche's (there are 3 of them in the State, BTW, in Concord and Keene) -- for al fresco drinking and people from ALL walks of life.

I'll be up there this very weekend, in fact

I can't make the hypertext work on this page, so just copy and paste the URLs below:
links removed

Peace.

Last edited by Yac; 08-08-2006 at 02:32 PM..

Old 08-09-2006, 06:58 PM

18 posts, read 83,958 times
I LIve in Derry NH 15 Minutes from Manchester--I also work in Manchester--do yourself a favor---with as little as $3k to $5k down you can buy a condo here--matter of fact selling my 2 bedroom for $110k because I bought a house and have to move. With rents here from 750-1000 for a 2 bedroom why not own instead. They are cheap now but with all the Massachusetts moving up here the prices will just keep going up-----RAPIDLY!!!!

Old 08-10-2006, 01:01 PM

28 posts, read 132,084 times
Prices are falling and inventory is building fast on existing and new construction. Garden sytle condos is what you will see for anything under mid 100s, just converted apartments with not much to offer. Most condos are unfortunately converted ugly aparmtements with new paint/carpet. No imagination in the building process, just quick buck turnovers the last 10 years. Even townhouses are just square rooms with no trim detail or style, builders need to vist the south to see how to build a quality townhome.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:04 PM

So, it's not really worth it to purchase the converted condos right now? I've looked at a couple of them online and it doesn't appear that they would be easy to resell. Plus, I don't know if I'm going to be staying the five years I've found it's recommened one stays in a condo, with the market the way it is. Also, thanks for everyone's input!

Old 08-11-2006, 10:59 AM

28 posts, read 132,084 times
You are in a tough spot being your first home purchase in an over priced market, assuming you do not have parental resources to invest in something more expensive. I would maybe consider a multifamily if you can make the numbers work and are handy and ambitious. Am seeing some of these deal for a decent price and rents seem to be stable as people are sitting out the purchasing and renting.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:04 PM

This is a buyers market right now. Also,do you really want the hassle and expense of a 2 family? Do yourself a favor and buy yourself a good condo for now as a starter. Do your research first and then talk to a realtor. I'd be happy to recommend one. Don't take any one persons advice (including mine) do your research and make a sound decision. As for renting,you might as well just throw your money out the window. Good Luck

Old 08-17-2006, 08:46 AM

Please e-mail me with the name of a realtor, as you offered in your previous post. I've contacted the ReMax office in Manchester, but have yet to hear back from them and would like to get a head start on deciding if this is what will work best for me. Thanks!

Old 08-19-2006, 08:18 AM

Hi, Just an fyi. If you decide on Manchester be very careful about the neighborhood. Manchester neighborhoods can go from good to bad in an instant. Try reading the manchester paper on line www.unionleader.com to get a feel for it.Also,for those in the know West Manchester is anything west of the Merrimack River which runs right thru the middle of the city. Good Luck

Old 08-21-2006, 04:04 PM

104 posts, read 467,074 times
I am a NH realtor and I recomend you buy an inexpensive single or two-family home within easy commuting distance from Manchester. Affordable homes in any of the surrounding towns will be easy to sell when the time comes, and will appreciate a LOT in the next few years. Manchester area is in the top 5 of rapidly appreciating home values in the country. You will walk away with a nice nest egg for your next home. NH Housing Authority offers programs that make it very easy for first-time home buyers -many with zero down payment. Towns to consider are Raymond, Candia, Deerfield, Auburn and Chester to the east of Manchester, and Goffstown, Dunbarton and New Boston to the west. Bedford and Amherst are nice, but pricey. Right now, with this buyer's market, you ought to be able to find a really good deal! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire