Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:16 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times

Advertisements

For the past year we've had a new pair of residents on our property: silent, intelligent, hunters respected by Native Americans for thousands of years as a symbol if wisdom. A mated pair of barred owls. Now these two large owls (they are both a good two feet tall) have been really great- scary calls to freak out unfamiliar visitors (fun), they keep me company outside (frequently they'll purch in a tree just a few yards away- completely relaxed), but last night as I was picking berries I noticed another benefit. Notice I said "picking berries"? As in the birds/chipmunks hadn't done it for me already.

Thank you Mr. & Mrs. Barred Owl

There is something to be said for being smart about maintaining your property. Not only do I get the joy of some non-human company when outside but we both reap the benefit of our mutual existence.

In some states, people are lucky to ever even see an owl...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 09:42 AM

21 posts, read 86,880 times
im lucky to see dogs and cats in vegas....cockroaches seem to be the norm around here and im not talking about the typical locals either LMAO

Old 06-23-2010, 10:20 AM

21 posts, read 56,826 times
Hey! I totally agree, NH perserves thier nature,animals and land unlike other places,I never appricated NH until I left & now would give anything to go back! It's one of the few places That is still very natural and unbothered! I love it!! Thanks for your post!

Old 06-23-2010, 10:39 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,243 times
We were camping up north last Labor Day and had what I *think* was a barred owl land in a tree at the edge of our campsite one night (too dark to see). If it was, they make some bizarre noises! It sounded like he was laughing at us.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:08 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
Barred owls are basically the "big" owls that don't have little horn looking shaped tufts of feathers (they are Great Horned Owls). They make a very "owl" noise (though deep) and the male/female have a real conversation back and forth- not just a series of calls. They tend to be the most noisy in the early evening and early morning.

Screech Owls on the other hand are tiny and sound scary as heck...they sound evil and used to scare explorers (still do). We've got them too...but they just visit from time to time and aren't as social with us.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:12 AM

10 posts, read 18,575 times
BF66389,

Oh thank you for this post. What a charming scene you have painted.
The non-human accompaniment is good for the soul and apparently for your baking.

I hope one day in the near future I too will get to experience this.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:51 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Last year and this we have a pair of falcons in the area, that the rock pigeons dread. Saves me the effort to shoot them too.

This morning there was a pile of robbin feathers, but i have no idea what killed it. No body, just feathers. Not even any bones. Was this an owl or a cat, and by cat I mean bob cat or better, because we have no cats, and none around for better than a mile.

In the last year i have seen fresh smaller cat tracks in loose sandy soils just 3 times and assume these are bob cats.

I do often times hear owls in evenings while puttering in the garden. I wonder what got that robbin too?

Old 06-23-2010, 04:54 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
I always enjoy watching nature, I live right on the Exeter river, just saw a momma duck swim by with 8 or 9 babies in tow, there's some adults that wander up and eat the bird food dropped from the neighbors feeders, many squirrels, one with no tail so he's easy to track, a cormorant was around for a few days a while back, fun watching them feed. Just yesterday I video'd a beaver on the river bank (video is in the NH pictures thread), hadn't seen one of them yet, had a canoer go by last night that got quite a few tail slaps from him, don't know if he's taking up residence or what.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:14 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,542,547 times
for some reason I just love watching Herons , they are simply beautiful to me.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
We have any number of critters around the condo in Londonderry. Many birds including both Herons and Hummingbirds as well a Mocking birds, robins, barn swallows (watching these things hunting insects will give you a new perspective on flying) Canada Geese, squirrels, chipmunks, woodchucks, etc. Once had an Owl strafe me while walking on a local road through the trees. I jumped a foot because I did not hear him coming. Nice place we live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire