Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:36 PM

3 posts, read 5,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Whats your opinion on the city with the best potential for finding work, any work in general? Also as far as jobs/economy. Which city has the most going on? I know the economy is bad everywhere, but overall out of Portsmouth, Concord ,Nashua and Manchester which city had or has the most work? Are any NH cities surrfering more then others right now? If so, which ones?
If you want to move mainly where the work is move to a city that has a university. Those places usually have the most jobs because it can make a better profit from the students. However I would suggest also looking into crime rates and housing costs. Those places may have more jobs but if you end up spending it all on bills rent and taxes or get it stolen from a home invasion or a side walk mugging then it becomes pointless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 12:22 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,180 times
Not sure where you got your info. N.H. has and has always had one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country. I believe it's around 5% now.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:03 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toye View Post
Wow where ever you got your statistics from gives NH's economy way to much credit. It has one of the worst unemployment rates in the country.
Wow, have you heard of google? It has one of the lower one's in the country

NH unemployment is 5.0, this is 3.2 points below the national average. So one of the worst in the country? Hardly.
New Hampshire State Unemployment Rate and Total Unemployed | Department of Numbers

Manchester, NH is 4.9
Manchester, New Hampshire Metropolitan Unemployment Rate and Total Unemployed | Department of Numbers

Portsmouth, NH is 4.3
Portsmouth, New Hampshire Metropolitan Unemployment Rate and Total Unemployed | Department of Numbers

Old 07-04-2012, 02:56 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Wow, have you heard of google? It has one of the lower one's in the country

NH unemployment is 5.0, this is 3.2 points below the national average. So one of the worst in the country? Hardly.
New Hampshire State Unemployment Rate and Total Unemployed | Department of Numbers

Manchester, NH is 4.9
Manchester, New Hampshire Metropolitan Unemployment Rate and Total Unemployed | Department of Numbers

Portsmouth, NH is 4.3
Portsmouth, New Hampshire Metropolitan Unemployment Rate and Total Unemployed | Department of Numbers
As someone who studies economic geography and demography, reasons exist why unemployment is low in NH- yet with caveats. NH currently is losing a certain percentage of younger educated residents, and this is particularly accute in the more rural parts of the state. A high COL with relatively low wages in the rural areas are another reason. This means a greater amount of open positions in those locales for most people. I think underemployment is rather significant in many areas of NH as many people have to work multiple jobs to pay the bills. Finally, educational attainment in NH is fairly good, so most people can find work rather easily. Many move to the Boston region and outlying areas for specialized high paying jobs in more lucrative careers, though.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
As someone who studies economic geography and demography, reasons exist why unemployment is low in NH- yet with caveats. NH currently is losing a certain percentage of younger educated residents, and this is particularly accute in the more rural parts of the state. A high COL with relatively low wages in the rural areas are another reason. This means a greater amount of open positions in those locales for most people. I think underemployment is rather significant in many areas of NH as many people have to work multiple jobs to pay the bills. Finally, educational attainment in NH is fairly good, so most people can find work rather easily. Many move to the Boston region and outlying areas for specialized high paying jobs in more lucrative careers, though.
Understood and I've taken graduate coursework in economics as well, and am familiar that every economic statistic, not just NH, will have caveats. I was simply responding to the poster that said it was one of the worst in the country, overall, it is not, even with caveats. We are much better off than say the San Joaquin agricultural valley of California which has a much higher rate, even in the months when the farm workers have work.

I was also trying to point out to folks that if you wanted a quick snapshot on what is commonly reported as the state unemployment rate, its easy to find rather that post errant numbers.

Thanks..

Old 07-04-2012, 09:05 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Understood and I've taken graduate coursework in economics as well, and am familiar that every economic statistic, not just NH, will have caveats. I was simply responding to the poster that said it was one of the worst in the country, overall, it is not, even with caveats. We are much better off than say the San Joaquin agricultural valley of California which has a much higher rate, even in the months when the farm workers have work.

I was also trying to point out to folks that if you wanted a quick snapshot on what is commonly reported as the state unemployment rate, its easy to find rather that post errant numbers.

Thanks..
Understood. I'm guilty of sending threads off-topic quite often as well.

I'm glad NH doesn't have anything in common with CA. We don't need most of the issues they have

However, it will be interesting to see how the NH economy performs this decade compared to the previous one, given the much slower increase in population due to the aftermath of the RE deleveraging in the RRR (resort/retiree/recreation) parts of the state. 2010-2011 Census data shows a 0.1% increase in population for the state as a whole.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Understood. I'm guilty of sending threads off-topic quite often as well.

I'm glad NH doesn't have anything in common with CA. We don't need most of the issues they have

However, it will be interesting to see how the NH economy performs this decade compared to the previous one, given the much slower increase in population due to the aftermath of the RE deleveraging in the RRR (resort/retiree/recreation) parts of the state. 2010-2011 Census data shows a 0.1% increase in population for the state as a whole.
Only .1% increase? I guess I will have to wait a wicked long time for my wish of more diversity moving in... I'm getting tired of driving to Boston or Portland everytime I have a hankering for a pupusa or a good mole or an aussie meat pie.. or or or.. lol.. Trader Joe's in Newington will help a bit come September.

Anyway to go back on topic, on paper, the NH economys is doing better than most, with caveats (as is the case with any state). Where you live and your occupation. For example, if you are an IT Project Manager there may be jobs in the seacoast or Manchester/Nashua (more in Boston as there are more companies) but if you are up in Conway.. good luck (start your own B&B or business). I know the field as thats what I do and I am able to work from home (my bosses are in California). Otherwise my only real option in the seacoast is Liberty Mutual.

People keep talking about jobs boom in Williston, ND but its not for IT jobs.. its for blue collar workers in the oil production/transportation area. So use the unemployment rates as a guide, but not as a bible. You will always have to dig more for localized employment conditions in your field of employment.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:54 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toye View Post
It sucks. I keep seeing shops open just to go out of business in about a month or two. The majority of the town is out of work. Avoid moving here if you can.

Albany International is building an manufacturing plant that should be open by 2014. Currently 30 workers are at the temporary production workshop. The plant will have roughly 400 openings when it opens. In the meantime, the construction is providing much needed work.

Rochester is where one can visibly see the stimulus funds working. Route 16 has had major much needed renovations and it's great to see so many people working.

According to NH Employment Security, the jobless rate hovers just under 5 percent, well under the national rate of 7.9% These numbers do not take into account the people that are underemployed or are working part time until they find full time employment.

There are lots of help wanted signs out at local pizza shops, gas stations, etc. The HS kids should be able to find temporary employment.

Rochester has opened quite a few box stores that are always looking for help as well. Kohl's, Lowe's, Jo-Anne Fabrics, Starbucks..... all have help wanted signs posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire