Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 02:27 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,287 times

Advertisements

Whats your opinion on the city with the best potential for finding work, any work in general? Also as far as jobs/economy. Which city has the most going on? I know the economy is bad everywhere, but overall out of Portsmouth, Concord ,Nashua and Manchester which city had or has the most work? Are any NH cities surrfering more then others right now? If so, which ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 09:22 AM

3,688 posts, read 7,428,446 times
It really depends on what type of job you are looking for.

All of New Hampshire south of Manchester is just an extension of the Greater Boston job and housing market and it shares the sames ups and downs.

In general, the job market is recovering slowly in some sectors, but areas like manufacturing, retail and construction are still very slow.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:03 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,014 times
New Hampshire isnt really that bad, I think its 7% unemployment which is great compared to most states- However the pay in NH will most likely be lower than elsewhere

Old 06-27-2010, 02:40 PM

10 posts, read 22,780 times
I have to agree with gf2020. Manufacturing, retail and construction are slow but are starting to rebound. Manchester has the most going on as far as nightlife and things to do. The only disadvantage is that it's a fairly congested city (then again, aren't most of them?). It's a good central location if you need to commute to southern NH or northern Mass for work. If you rent in Manchester or Nashua, pay the little bit extra to get into a nice, managed middle-class rental community. If you don't want to commute, Manchester, Concord, and Nashua all have community bus systems. I don't know about Portsmouth. Portsmouth is a nice town, but not a lot of jobs. Concord is also a nice city, but, again, not a lot of jobs and slightly lower pay than what you would get in Manchester or Nashua. That said, if I had to pick, I'd probably go for Concord. Lower crime rate, really nice, safe downtown with a pretty decent nightlife now that they have parking and Red River Theater. If you don't plan to commute... Concord would be the least stressful. ;-) Stay away from apts/houses on the west side of Main Street by Pleasant Street (there's a mental health living facility there), and stay away from apts/houses at the north end of Main Street (by the prison). But all the rest of the neighborhoods in Concord are quite nice--wide open areas, lots of greenery, well-maintained sidewalks, and a nice downtown with parks all over the place. The schools are all excellent, too.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,671 times
How is the economy in rochester,nh?

Old 01-11-2012, 07:58 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
New Hampshire isnt really that bad, I think its 7% unemployment which is great compared to most states- However the pay in NH will most likely be lower than elsewhere

Its actualy 5.3 . The Dartmouth region is around 2.3

Old 01-12-2012, 07:59 AM

124 posts, read 312,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Whats your opinion on the city with the best potential for finding work, any work in general? Also as far as jobs/economy. Which city has the most going on? I know the economy is bad everywhere, but overall out of Portsmouth, Concord ,Nashua and Manchester which city had or has the most work? Are any NH cities surrfering more then others right now? If so, which ones?
Really, which city has the most work AND YOU DON'T LIST YOUR SKILLS OR WHAT YOU WOULD BE WILLING TO DO.
How do you expect anyone to actually answer that?
If you are looking at an area with tech or manufacturing jobs and you have a GED and only worked at a gas check out counter you ain't getting a skilled job. And there are thousands of people with your training to compete with in the convenience store market.
If you plan on really finding an area where you can realistically be employed, list your work experience and how many years you have on the job. That's the bare minimum.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:53 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Most of central and northern NH is a "bring your own employment and skillset" type of environment. Very few large employers so most people must be creative in order to have a solid income. That means networking or staring your own business.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:27 PM

3 posts, read 5,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbaby View Post
How is the economy in rochester,nh?
It sucks. I keep seeing shops open just to go out of business in about a month or two. The majority of the town is out of work. Avoid moving here if you can.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:30 PM

3 posts, read 5,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
Wow where ever you got your statistics from gives NH's economy way to much credit. It has one of the worst unemployment rates in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire