Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:36 PM

50 posts, read 143,683 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a family friendly place to live close to manchester that offers single family homes. I need good schools for the kids ( ages 13, 8, and 5) while being close to a good college for me to finish up my masters in social work. Oh and we have two dogs which is why a single family home is better for us.
My husband will be working in Manchester and we need to rent for at least the 1st year until we know the area better. I want to keep the rent under $1800 though
So any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 11:08 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
check out Rent.com for homes that might be available - look at Hooksett, Bow, Goffstown, Allenstown, Auburn, or Candia - they are all surrounding towns to Manchester - Goffstown has it's own high school, Candia and Auburn attend Manchester schools. Allenstown has Pembroke Academy. Bow attends Concord....don't know where Hooksett sends their HS kids.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:24 PM

Thanks. I checked out rent.com THe area is a little cofusing coming from Fairbanks! I def. need a good school system for the kids though and like the idea of one with it's own high school. My kids go to a very small school right now and may be in shock

Old 06-28-2010, 11:38 PM

Oh and how is AT and T's coverage in that area? We just signed a new contract and bought new phones so it would stink if they had bad coverage!

Old 06-29-2010, 03:26 AM

232 posts, read 542,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natenapril View Post
Oh and how is AT and T's coverage in that area? We just signed a new contract and bought new phones so it would stink if they had bad coverage!
You can see a coverage map here:

AT&T Coverage Viewer

Old 06-29-2010, 07:23 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
I live in the lakes region and don't have a problem with AT&T - my kids live all over the state and don't have a problem.

I've heard that sometimes calls get dropped when traveling around Manchester's airport - signal interference is the excuse by AT&T.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:35 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
I use to have ATT and have no problem with coverage in the area south of concord, once you get to far 'out of town' coverage can get a little spoty. But that with all cell company's. Have verizon now but thats for other reasons.

Since you plan to 'rent' with all your kids in school, you kinda need to figure out where you want to live when you buy a house so the kids dont have to change schools. Most NH school districts are small, one or a few towns make up 1 distict so moving few miles may put you in a different school system. (expect the cities and there only a few in NH.)

So think hard about renting, and moving again in 1/2 years, may not be the best plan for the kids and schools. What size house/price range are you thinking of?

Old 06-29-2010, 08:31 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
Amherst and Mont Vernon are about 20 minutes from Manchester and have very good schools. They share schools from 7 - 12 grades. Souhegan High and Hollis Brookline High were the only high schools in the state rated in the top 1500 public high schools in a Newsweek raniking.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I use to have ATT and have no problem with coverage in the area south of concord, once you get to far 'out of town' coverage can get a little spoty. But that with all cell company's. Have verizon now but thats for other reasons.

Since you plan to 'rent' with all your kids in school, you kinda need to figure out where you want to live when you buy a house so the kids dont have to change schools. Most NH school districts are small, one or a few towns make up 1 distict so moving few miles may put you in a different school system. (expect the cities and there only a few in NH.)

So think hard about renting, and moving again in 1/2 years, may not be the best plan for the kids and schools. What size house/price range are you thinking of?
My kiddos are "military brats" so they are used to moving. It's not the best thing to happen but we have done it several times.

We are looking for a house that has 3-4 bedrooms and two bath, A single family home with at least a 1 car garage and a nice sized back yard. Since I am still in school we can only buy up to about $240,000. We were approved for more but worried about taxes and heating. Although heating is pretty high up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Amherst and Mont Vernon are about 20 minutes from Manchester and have very good schools. They share schools from 7 - 12 grades. Souhegan High and Hollis Brookline High were the only high schools in the state rated in the top 1500 public high schools in a Newsweek raniking.
Nice. I will look into those areas.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:54 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
Hi Nate-n-April. Other towns that are relatively close to Manchester that you might check out:

Bedford (just west of Manchester, highly rated schools all in-town, including the brand newly built high school)

Londonderry (immediately south of Manchester) also has highly rated schools, with somewhat more affordable home prices than Bedford.

Also, check Northern New England Real Estate Network - Official Website of the Northern New England MLS (this is our realtor MLS database) for the most accurate and up to date listings. There are rental listings, but keep in mind that NH as a whole does not have a huge rental market.

What kind of pooches do you have? Finding a rental that will allow multiple dogs may be difficult, so I would recommend getting recommendations from your vet and anyone who has worked with them (veterinarian, boarding kennel, trainers, etc. would be helpful), especially if they are of a breed that may be on any insurance 'blacklist'. Several years back when I relocated my family halfway across the country, I was able to rent with 2 German Shepherd Dogs partially because of their Canine Good Citizen and obedience titles that they had earned in the obedience ring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire