Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 02:28 PM

63 posts, read 187,695 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Wanted to see if anyone has, or knows someone that uses a Mosquito attracting/killing device that actually works in New Hampshire? I am referring to devices like the Mosquito Magnet or Mega-Catch Outdoor Mosquito Trap that typically emit CO2 and sometimes Octenol to attract the pesky critters, then kill them.
My wife and I are moving back to NH (Dover) in the future and i hope to find help reducing Mosquitos around the yard (3/4 acre) beyond the usual getting rid of standing water and such.
Any info you have on this Pro or Con would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 02:47 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,144,755 times
IMO-all those devices are a hoax. I would never buy one!

Old 06-26-2007, 09:12 PM

10 posts, read 50,901 times
I have a Mosquito Magnet. It catches mosquitos and black flies, but it definitely does not eliminate all of them from my heavily wooded property. I would say that the bugs are somewhat less thick in my immediate yard than at my neighbors'.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:10 AM

2 posts, read 6,171 times
Default Mosquito Killing

I live in CT. About Four years ago I bought a 'Mosquito Deleto" From Coleman.
I Have about 3/4 acre of woods and lawn. The woods have a stream at the bottom and some very boggy areas. The deleto is the best money I have spent!
There are some days that we get the bugs , but on the whole it has given me my back yard back. Check out Coleman.com.
P.S. We are looking to move to NH aswell!

Old 07-11-2007, 07:27 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,854 times
They do work, but the key is you have to run it all the time, you can't just set it out a few hours before the BBQ and expect great results.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:40 AM

Paul-Extinctbird Appreciate your input.

After looking at info on the coleman unit, it seems it probably works about as well as the mosquito magnet units, but with FAR less operational problems. I read lots of MM owners complaining about realibility/customer service issues. It seems the nozzle that disburses the CO2 gets clogged, and cannot be easily replaced (unlike the coleman unit that has a $3 replacement one).

Sporin-
No doubt the units need to be in place/run for at least several weeks before you would see any noticeable difference. I read that after 4-6 weeks, you can make a dent in the reproduction cycle of the critters and then start to notice less of them around.

I am also looking into other methods of control. I plan on building a Bat House and putting it up on our home, and well as the possibility of pest deterrent plants such as catnip and marrigold.

This probably seems a bit excessive to most, but I am moving back to NH (I was born/raised there) with my wife who is from seattle and want to do everything possible to make NH a pleasant experience for her (she hates mosquitos).

Cheers, Paul

Old 07-12-2007, 06:06 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,039,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingback View Post
I am also looking into other methods of control. I plan on building a Bat House and putting it up on our home, and well as the possibility of pest deterrent plants such as catnip and marrigold.

This probably seems a bit excessive to most, but I am moving back to NH (I was born/raised there) with my wife who is from seattle and want to do everything possible to make NH a pleasant experience for her (she hates mosquitos).
Hey Paul, I'm reading with interest as well! I grew up there and will be moving back with a Delawarean husband. He doesn't understand why I get a crazed look in my eyes at the thought of hiking in the woods, or even going out to the back yard in the summer! I'd love to get a nice colony of bats around, I wonder which is more effective? - bats are certainly 'greener'

Old 07-16-2007, 08:23 PM

10 posts, read 50,901 times
From our experience in living in the NH woods for 14 years, our best (least) mosquito summer was when we had a bunch of bats around the yard. This was before we got the MM. I'm not sure why the bats didn't stay around year to year.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:05 AM

Wanna,

It is my understanding that the bats could make a dent in the Mosquito population for sure, but will not elliminate them completly. I was thinking a several pronged approach to the problem would not eliminate mosquitos completly, but hopefully cut down the numbers enough to make out door activities in the yard pleasant.

You might also want to check out this thread for additional info on the subject:
//www.city-data.com/forum/garde...g-devices.html

And for more info on Bats:

http://www.batconservation.org/

Old 07-18-2007, 03:41 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,039,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingback View Post
Wanna,

It is my understanding that the bats could make a dent in the Mosquito population for sure, but will not elliminate them completly. I was thinking a several pronged approach to the problem would not eliminate mosquitos completly, but hopefully cut down the numbers enough to make out door activities in the yard pleasant.

You might also want to check out this thread for additional info on the subject:
//www.city-data.com/forum/garde...g-devices.html
And for more info on Bats:
bat, bat houses, bat information
Thanks, Moving! I'll check them out. I would never expect to completely eliminate all mosquitos! don't think that's even possible in a small area. Besides, then the bats would starve - or at least leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire