Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,882 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm sure this is a familiar story but 'technology jobs' didn't turn up many results. I'm currently living in North Carolina but love everything I read about NH. Cold climate, close to the mountains, libertarian mindset, safe, healthy, low tax burden, etc. as I'm sure you guys know. On the polar opposite of my consideration is Silicon Valley in an ugly, expensive, hot desert filled with delicious looking company HQs (although I'm not really sure how good the job market is there either).

I've read here that around Manchester is basically the same job market as northern Boston, with demand for IT jobs but lots of qualified people. I'm a well educated network engineer pretty much just looking for a cold, pretty, peaceful place to live and work. New Hampshire seemed like the obvious choice in terms of a desirable place to live, I was just unsure how the job climate was. Housing costs, average salary, nightlife, and such play almost no part in my search. I keep to myself and would be easily contented with my much-adored job in a cooler and more beautiful area.

Easy bonus questions: I keep hearing the southern part of the state is better than the north, why is that? Also, I love hiking, geocaching, biking, skiing all that; Is Manchester close enough to the really good stuff and if not how far a drive is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 08:25 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,426,863 times
What type of "technology" are you experienced in?

Fidelity Investments, Liberty Mutual, BAE Systems and PC Connection are among the largest employers in Southern NH and they are frequently hiring for technology jobs.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:12 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefaultGen View Post
the state is better than the north, why is that? Also, I love hiking, geocaching, biking, skiing all that; Is Manchester close enough to the really good stuff and if not how far a drive is it?
"Better" in what way? depends on what you're looking for. the north general has cheaper town taxes, much more wildlife & woods/mountains/fewer people/traffic... however, the lower town taxes and fewer people/traffic are in general because no one wants to live there with few job opportunities. Or they want a slightly easier winter (sometimes), or they want quick access to Boston..... so "better" depends entirely on what you're looking for.

As to whether Manchester is close enough for all your fun activities... keep in mind you can drive pretty much the height of the state in approx 2 hours (maybe a little more)! less, from Manchester. so yes, you can get to lots of opportunities in both the lakes district and the mountains easily from Manchester. For that matter, you can zip down to the ocean fairly easily as well.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:37 AM

2 posts, read 1,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
What type of "technology" are you experienced in?

Fidelity Investments, Liberty Mutual, BAE Systems and PC Connection are among the largest employers in Southern NH and they are frequently hiring for technology jobs.
Thanks for the names! I'm looking for a network engineering or administration job. I know Cisco's about an hour away down in MA, but every big tech company needs a few network lab rats. I'll definitely talk to reps from those.

Also, thanks WannaComeHome. I guess I'm not used to small states! It's a 4 hour drive either direction to the beach or mountains from where I'm currently at!

Old 07-10-2010, 05:35 AM

885 posts, read 2,660,787 times
DefaultGen,
Liberty Mutual (#71 Fortune 100) has about half their IT shop - around 1500 tech people - in the Dover/Portsmouth area. If you take a look at their careers page, they currently have 38 Information Technology openings in New Hampshire. I don't see any in networking right now, but they are worth keeping an eye on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire