Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 01:22 PM

371 posts, read 1,162,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
If you're going to purchase a place as a summer vacation house, yeah you better be prepared for the tax consequences. We looked into it a few years ago and ran. Nice to visit, but if you can't a resident, then it's not worth the added cost and headache for most. Filling out tax forms for one state is enough to make your head spin, but to do it for 2 where one charges you income tax on your income from elsewhere? No thanks. I'd rather watch the latest reality show where they eat bugs and other gross things and I've NEVER watched one of those shows! But doing taxes make a person loopy for 3 or 4 days.
Why would you have to pay income taxes on a vacation home (non-rental)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 04:56 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dognh View Post
Why would you have to pay income taxes on a vacation home (non-rental)?
You don't pay income taxes on the home. You pay income taxes on ALL of your income in Maine including income from other states.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:28 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You don't pay income taxes on the home. You pay income taxes on ALL of your income in Maine including income from other states.
Vacation home is for vacationing. If it were my vacation home, I sure as heck wouldn't be working in that state while I'm on vacation. That said, I can't afford a vacation home.....

Old 07-14-2010, 07:42 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
Vacation home is for vacationing. If it were my vacation home, I sure as heck wouldn't be working in that state while I'm on vacation. That said, I can't afford a vacation home.....
The scenario I had in mind is someone who is retired having a vacation home in ME. I know a couple thinking of doing that, and I told them to better look into it thoroughly first. I remember reading about ME taxes on pension and any other income they might have from out of state, even if they live there only 6 months of the year.

It's a beautiful state, that's for sure. Too bad they make it so difficult to live there.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
The scenario I had in mind is someone who is retired having a vacation home in ME. I know a couple thinking of doing that, and I told them to better look into it thoroughly first. I remember reading about ME taxes on pension and any other income they might have from out of state, even if they live there only 6 months of the year.

It's a beautiful state, that's for sure. Too bad they make it so difficult to live there.

That would be bad. I didn't think of retirement income.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:35 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
it's true - I have a home in ME, just outside of Bar Harbor - it's a cabin, non insulated, purely a summer home up on stilts, no foundation, etc. Maine taxes ALL of my income. I am retired and live on a pension and SS. It's a hefty price to keep the property that has been in the family since 1938.

I don't work in ME. I have never worked in ME. They tax my income and my spouse's income because we own this cabin.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:06 PM

Are you considered a part year resident? If so, how can they tax all of your income?

I've always thought the Maine Tax Dept were blood sucking leeches...

Old 07-15-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
it's true - I have a home in ME, just outside of Bar Harbor - it's a cabin, non insulated, purely a summer home up on stilts, no foundation, etc. Maine taxes ALL of my income. I am retired and live on a pension and SS. It's a hefty price to keep the property that has been in the family since 1938.

I don't work in ME. I have never worked in ME. They tax my income and my spouse's income because we own this cabin.
We must all be talking about different things.

If your permanent residence is in NH (or any other non-income tax state) and you have a second home in maine (with no-rental income) and do not work in Maine - then you don not need to pay Maine income tax.

Why would you be filing taxes in a state where you don't live and do not generate income?

Maybe I'm wrong, but could you site the tax code where that applies?

Old 07-15-2010, 07:39 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dognh View Post
We must all be talking about different things.

If your permanent residence is in NH (or any other non-income tax state) and you have a second home in maine (with no-rental income) and do not work in Maine - then you don not need to pay Maine income tax.

Why would you be filing taxes in a state where you don't live and do not generate income?

Maybe I'm wrong, but could you site the tax code where that applies?
If your permanent residence is in an income tax state, ME would still be taxing your income; perhaps you'd pay income tax to two states, as part-time resident of each. Idon't know how you can avoid one state or the other, even if you declared yourself a full time resident of your state and didn't declare any time spent in ME. Interesting question: What if you lived in, say, VA and didn't use your vacation cabin at all one year. Would you still have to pay income tax to ME?

Old 07-15-2010, 09:42 AM

Unless someone has a specific code otherwise, to my knowledge you are not "income" taxed in a state where you have a second home, unless that home earns rental income or you have a job in that state or you identify it as a primary residence.

You pay income tax in the state of your primary residence or in any other state where you work or earn income (whether you have a home there or not).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire