Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 05:37 PM

885 posts, read 2,660,249 times

Advertisements

Looks like they're going to go ahead and build a new eyesore just so our friends from down south can get to the White Mountains 20 minutes sooner:

Fosters.com - Dover NH, Rochester NH, Portsmouth NH, Laconia NH, Sanford ME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 07:24 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,381,728 times
You live in Madbury. You never go to Portsmouth?

I think it's great, as I may find myself working in Portsmouth someday. Unfortunately, I bet the Dover Point tolls will go up. Don't see how it will be much more of an eyesore than it is now. It's not a landmark like the Memorial Bridge in Kittery/Portsmouth.

I could care less about the Mass folks - that bridge will be good for the local area....

Old 07-14-2010, 08:30 PM

885 posts, read 2,660,249 times
Steve, I go to Portsmouth plenty often. I commuted there up until a year ago. The bridge was only bad on Fri afternoons going north. About a 15 min delay. After 14 yrs in L.A. 15 mins is nothing.

I think you are headed to Barrington right? In which case you could avoid the tolls by taking rt4.

Why don't I like it? The ride over that bridge is always a pleasant experience. It is small enough when you're on it you can fully take in the gorgeous views of Great Bay. That always relaxed me after a tough day. Now imagine another honking bridge next to it along with the sound walls they are planning. You wont know what you're missing.

Last edited by rmcewan; 07-14-2010 at 08:41 PM..

Old 07-14-2010, 08:50 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
apparently you've never sat in the daily traffic jam trying to get across that bridge at 5:00. It's about time that bridge was expanded. I pay $4. in tolls everyday traveling Route 16. Maybe you don't mind the delays, but most commuters want to get home sooner rather than later.

The new four-lane southbound bridge on the Spaulding Turnpike over Little Bay, between the existing Little Bay Bridge and General Sullivan Bridge in Dover will be a great improvement for the locals and will greatly ease congestion.

Once the new bridge is complete, crews will rehab the current bridge and improve the turnpike and ramps on the Newington side, including a roundabout at exit 3. The exit currently only provides access to Woodbury Avenue from the south, but the roundabout would provide a full exchange point and a new way to access Pease International Tradeport.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:03 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,381,728 times
I also know there are a lot of accidents on that bridge, including a bad one my brother in law was involved in (hit by a semi and pushed up against the guardrail). I think we'll be thankful in 10 years for the upgrade when the projected increase of traffic starts flowing over the bridge. I agree, though, that the current congestion is nothing compared to LA.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Expanded capacity is a good idea but view blocking sound walls is a very bad idea.

I commute to and from Boston and the lane drop at Ex 1 on I-93N always causes a delay. I am amused that the expansion of the road to three lanes each way will be done AFTER I retire. Still it is interesting to watch a slow motion construction site. The project could be done in a couple years or less if they tossed some men and money at it.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:52 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
this is the what I don't like about it:

There are no plans for a new toll plaza, but it is not out of the realm of possibility that it could be added as a funding source.

The project impacts 20 acres of wetlands, five historical properties, and two businesses that will be displaced. 31 properties are potentially impacted. Approximately 30 acres of partial property acquisitions could be needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire