U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 11:15 PM

9 posts, read 34,932 times

Advertisements

FYI: in the works as far back as 2004:

Friday, January 30, 2004 Contact: Erin Rath/Jeff Turcotte

GREGG ANNOUNCES FEDERAL PRISON COMING TO BERLIN
Senator secured full federal funding for construction of a new federal prison in Berlin

WASHINGTON– U.S. Senator Judd Gregg (R-NH) today joined Berlin Mayor Bob Danderson, U.S. Bureau of Prisons Director Harley Lappin, New Hampshire Governor Craig Benson, State Senator John Gallus and other local officials to announce that full federal funding has been secured to construct a medium-security federal prison in Berlin, New Hampshire. This project will create a demand for local construction jobs, as well as create 300 new jobs when the prison opens in 2008.

A total of $179.5 million has been secured for this project, including $154.5 million in the Fiscal Year 2004 Omnibus Appropriations Act signed by the President on January 23, 2004. Senator Gregg is the Chairman of the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee that oversees funding for the U.S. Department of Justice and Bureau of Prisons, and was successful in including the funding over the past three years.

Senator Gregg stated, “The resilience and determination of the people of this community is the number one driving force behind this extraordinary announcement today. The community came together and has actively worked to improve their economy. When they signaled to me that they had community support to bring a federal prison to the area, I took the opportunity to help. The hard work of the people of Berlin, and especially Mayor Danderson, has brought us all here together on this significant occasion and I look forward to continuing to work with the City of Berlin to make this project a reality. The backbone of any community is its ability to have good paying jobs for its citizens. This project will provide an economic opportunity for families and businesses throughout the North Country.”

Mayor Danderson commented, “This has been a great team effort with Senator Judd Gregg as our quarterback, me as the coach, and many members of the community such as Tom Boutin, Paul Cusson, and the Androscoggin Valley Economic Recovery (AVER) group. If any one of these players weren't there we would never have been able to secure this winning touchdown. I am very proud to have Senator Gregg as our Tom Brady of the North Country. I think it's appropriate that Senator Gregg's portrait in the State House from his terms as our state's Governor was painted on top of a mountain -- and he's appropriately facing north showing his commitment to the people of New Hampshire.”

The City of Berlin, and neighboring communities in the North Country, have long been dependent on the logging and paper industries for economic productivity. The closing of the paper mill and other factory closings in the area have had dire consequences for the entire North Country region. The population has reduced by a significant 12.6 percent from the 1990 census to the 2000 census; property values are far below the rest of the state; Coos County has the highest unemployment rate in the state; and median income is $20,000 less than that of the state as a whole.

As the second largest public works construction project in the history of the State of New Hampshire, this project will create a demand for many construction jobs, approximately 300 new jobs at the prison, and it is estimated that the federal prison will contribute $25 million to the regional economy through salaries, goods and services, and utilities. Furthermore, local businesses will be eligible to compete for contracts associated with the development and operation of the prison.

# # #
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 5,035 times
Yes the rumpris true!

Old 02-15-2007, 04:55 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,312,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomandDadofTWINS2006 View Post
Yes the rumpris true!
First congrates. 2nd Rumpris. LOL might be a lowes instead of home depot.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:28 AM

1 posts, read 4,971 times
Default fed prison

yes there will be a fed prison i kive in berlin and hear about it all the time we do have a state prison to they are in process of tearing the mill down so maybe itll be there

Old 03-08-2007, 02:14 AM

556 posts, read 568,368 times
I think they should evacuate everyone from Nevada, and make the whole state a prison system. Then they could keep prisons out of nice places like New Hampshire and keep our women and children safer from possible escaped convicts roaming.

Nice to wish eh?

Old 04-12-2007, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 4,855 times
Actually, they are building a Federal Prisons and it is not replacing the State one that will be next door. I work for the BOP now and hope to transfer to Berlin. By the time the prison is build, it will not be until 2008 or 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockclimber View Post
Hi everyone!

I heard a rumor that they are going to build a federal jail in Berlin, NH. I was wondering if this rumor is true? I am interested in moving to NH, so if the rumor is true it would be a good time for me to move there and get a new job. If anyone has information on this subject please let me know.
Thank you

Old 07-12-2007, 01:53 PM
USP

1 posts, read 4,596 times
Does anybody know how this prison is coming along? When is it suppose to open? Is it 08 or 09? Thanks

Florida boy interested in going North.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:15 PM

1,775 posts, read 7,670,482 times
Ah yes. the small town of Berlin i was born and raised in now i'm here in FL. That's quite a change from FL if you've never lived in a northern state. My family is still in Berlin and i'll be going up next month to visit. Not sure how the prison is coming along but i know that little town has gone to the dumps even worse from when i lived there. But hey, they finally got a superwalmart nearby. that for Berlin is a Huge accomplishment.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:53 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,312,503 times
Site work has begun. Hiring has started for the construction crews, as well. But everyone has been informed it will be very minor hiring for the first year. with local labor coming first. This is a non union job but it is a rate job. So either way pay is good. Chasing masons sucks though. I won't go near it 3 bucks more an hr just isn't worth it. But the People up there need the work. Just hope they don't get greedy like they did with the mills when they put them into bankruptcy.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 4,475 times
Default FBOP Berlin

Do you have contact information on the prison construction? A friend builds prisons and is thinking of relocating to do this one.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire