U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 01:59 PM

1,775 posts, read 7,671,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
The employees of the prison need lots of land to build houses on? What? That does not make a whole lot of sense unless their are very few houses in the town to buy in the first place. I do realize that in northern New England that it is typical to have a house on several acres, but a residential building boom would be interesting in a town like that. Hopefully, they will avoid building too much near the airport because that is an important weather observation station in a rural natural setting.
Well obviously you haven't been around to see what homes are for sale in Berlin. They are run down. I'm talking about land out in Milan going up for sale soon, yes around the airport. My friends uncle and his father owns just about that entire mountain in the back and almost all the land along the riverside and up in the Dummer area. He has been using it for farmland and is looking to subdivide it. People will needs homes to live in and if you look at whats for sale in Berlin, you wouldn't want to buy it either. Plus all the land going up for sale will be on the same road that the prison will be on so they will only have a 5 or 10 minute drive to work. During winter months, that's not a bad thing to have such a short commute. Oh and in Milan, your required to have a minimum of 3 acres to build on so yes, a lot of land will need to be opened up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 02:59 PM

33 posts, read 102,666 times
I'm looking for some multifamilies in Lancaster and Northumberland. I will actually be up that way on Wed, So this sounds good? Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on what to look out for or any good deals? My hope is to buy a multifam, (3 or 4 unit) and rent it out. Earthangel, do you know the area well?

Thanks,

Old 09-10-2007, 03:05 PM

33 posts, read 102,666 times
Default Buying Real estate

Can anyone tell me about Lancaster or Northumberland? I'm heading up that way on Wed to look at a few multi families, Is there alot of rent potential? Will the prison bring in more? Let me know what you think.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:11 PM

23,068 posts, read 40,144,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Well obviously you haven't been around to see what homes are for sale in Berlin. They are run down. I'm talking about land out in Milan going up for sale soon, yes around the airport. My friends uncle and his father owns just about that entire mountain in the back and almost all the land along the riverside and up in the Dummer area. He has been using it for farmland and is looking to subdivide it. People will needs homes to live in and if you look at whats for sale in Berlin, you wouldn't want to buy it either. Plus all the land going up for sale will be on the same road that the prison will be on so they will only have a 5 or 10 minute drive to work. During winter months, that's not a bad thing to have such a short commute. Oh and in Milan, your required to have a minimum of 3 acres to build on so yes, a lot of land will need to be opened up.
Yes, I have been through that town twice when I was driving through northern New England. I do agree that a lot of the homes for sale are fairly run down. The town definitely has some very old houses, but also some interesting architecture in some areas as well. I am not surprised that they have a 3 acre lot size minimum in Milan. I will have to see the changes myself the next time I take a drive up there. It sounds like quite a bit of development near the airport, which would lead me to believe that the low temperatures there might start reading warmer because of all the urban related development. The Androscroggin River Valley has some excellent scenery in my opinion.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 09-10-2007 at 08:23 PM..

Old 09-10-2007, 04:14 PM

Post Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscoo View Post
Can anyone tell me about Lancaster or Northumberland? I'm heading up that way on Wed to look at a few multi families, Is there alot of rent potential? Will the prison bring in more? Let me know what you think.
If you look at an atlas or do a mapquest search you will find that Lancaster and Northumberland are at least a 30-45 minute drive from Berlin. This is a fairly long distance to drive, especially during the winter season. Lancaster is county seat and has around 3500 people. I think that Northumberland is a smaller community. Lancaster is one of the most economically vibrant towns in Coos County, and has a higher median household income than most of the other towns in the area.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:43 PM

1,775 posts, read 7,671,378 times
My sister lives in Berlin and drives to Lancaster hospital for work everyday. It takes her about 35 minutes but yeah, during the storms, i'd give about an hour at least.

I don't think Milan is going to bust open with communities and things you see in other cities especially having the 3 acre minimum. The taxes are much lower in Milan than in Berlin which is why people will flock there instead of staying in Berlin. $4000 in taxes on a $150,000 home is quite a bit in my opinion.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
My sister lives in Berlin and drives to Lancaster hospital for work everyday. It takes her about 35 minutes but yeah, during the storms, i'd give about an hour at least.

I don't think Milan is going to bust open with communities and things you see in other cities especially having the 3 acre minimum. The taxes are much lower in Milan than in Berlin which is why people will flock there instead of staying in Berlin. $4000 in taxes on a $150,000 home is quite a bit in my opinion.
I would say those property taxes are very high for a town of that size. I do know that property taxes are higher in most areas of NH compared with other states, though. I am currently looking to relocate near the Manchester and Concord area. Near the Kansas City metro area the property taxes run about $2500 on a $250,000 home. However, the income taxes and sales taxes make up for the lower property tax bill.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:36 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,312,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boscoo View Post
Northumberland is run down. Nice people in the town but very run down. They still have a mill there for how long who knows but it is a mill town.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:16 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,784,510 times
Default Why Pick on Nevada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
Do the people really want this stuff to happen? New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine have done a good job of keeping big business and other ''all and sundry" out for a long time. I know people who work for prison systems may like it, but I don't and I am sure others will not like having convicts imprisoned in such a pristine area of the country either. If I had my way, we would move everyone out of Nevada and make the whole state a prison and get rid of the prisons in all other states.
Like NH, Nevada, has no state income tax and has tried its best to maintain the creeping fungus of government run social programs. Hope it stays that way!

Old 11-01-2008, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,133 times
What company is hiring the mig welders???anyone know who i can contact besides a temp agency?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire