Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 01:15 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,154 times

Advertisements

With Lawrence, MA (a real cesspool of a city) so close to the NH border, literally a mile away, has there been a lot of Hispanic migration into southern NH recently?

Or does limited social services/welfare and jobs in NH preclude them from coming?

Are the towns doing anything to limit illegal immigration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 01:25 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,154 times
Default OK found my answer

NH's minority populations rose 65% over decade

By CLYNTON NAMUO
New Hampshire Union Leader Correspondent

Saturday, Jun. 12, 2010

Minorities accounted for about 7.2 percent of the state's population in 2009, compared with 4.7 percent in 2000.

Most of it Hispanic.

There's no state safe from rampant illegal immigration it seems.... gradually they all turn into bloated welfare states with high crime rates and isolated pockets of wealth. Just look at Illinois.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:47 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post

By CLYNTON NAMUO
New Hampshire Union Leader Correspondent

Saturday, Jun. 12, 2010

Minorities accounted for about 7.2 percent of the state's population in 2009, compared with 4.7 percent in 2000.

Most of it Hispanic.

There's no state safe from rampant illegal immigration it seems.... gradually they all turn into bloated welfare states with high crime rates and isolated pockets of wealth. Just look at Illinois.
Higher cost of living will be a detractor. Also, minority populations in NH are really only concentrated in a few larger towns/cities in the state. I highly doubt NH will follow IL demographically as it was never even close to be similar to that state. NH will very slowly become a bit more diverse. All the counties in the central and northern part of the state are like 97-98% white.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 08-01-2010 at 09:39 AM..

Old 07-31-2010, 06:07 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
What about the Quebec ppl? Aren't they a growing pop?

Old 07-31-2010, 06:30 PM

72 posts, read 195,784 times
When you use the term Hispanic, and even refer to minority populations you should be more clear who is being spoken of. It seems that you are talking about illegal Mexican immigrants. Not all hispanics that make up the population in the state are illegals. My wife is Puerto Rican, born on Long Island, an R.N. and yes, hispanic. I hate to appear to be PC as I'm far from it, but equating "Hispanic" with "cesspool" and need for social services is painting hispanics with a broad stroke.

In addition, you ask if towns are doing anything to limit "illegal immigration", which is a silly question, as illegal Mexican immigrants are not sneaking into the USA by crossing the NH border.

Last edited by MCNPA; 07-31-2010 at 06:48 PM..

Old 07-31-2010, 09:12 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,065,072 times
Quote:
OMG, did the family have kids?

That said, even the minorities that are here are white after a few winters; you should see my poor Indian friend, he's Italian now, before you know it he'll be Irish!

In all seriousness though I think the increase you'll find in NH is not the result of illegal immigration. Many of the jobs (seasonal farm workers, etc) that would be filled by illegal immigrants typically are filled my legal workers from the island nations on work visas. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Hispanic folks coming here are doing so to escape being lumped unfairly with "illegal immigrants" in other less tolerant states.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
What about the Quebec ppl? Aren't they a growing pop?
People of French Canadian ancestry are scattered throughout NH, but more prevalent in the North Country-particularly Maine. With the decline of the forest products industries, mill towns, etc that area is still on the decline as the job base is not present. Property tax rates in Coos County are quite high with respect to income as well. Out-migration has mostly resulted in a 5% decline in population since 2000 in that area.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:56 AM

107 posts, read 268,154 times
+1 hispanic in 2009, I moved in that year!

The first two posts are borderline offensive as they equate 'hispanic' with 'illegal immigrant' and it's probable they wouldn't equate other immigrants in the same light.

I'm from Argentina. Who knows, maybe the only person with Argentine origin in Concord =P. I'm a federal statistician who does not need social services.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:34 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,032,208 times
Quote:
With Lawrence, MA (a real cesspool of a city) so close to the NH border, literally a mile away, has there been a lot of Hispanic migration into southern NH recently?
in NH in general, there is not have a lot of diversity - Hispanic or otherwise. Some areas have more, the more urban areas like Nashua & Manchester, but even with a large percentage increase - considering the low numbers to start with it there's not a large "migration".

Quote:
Or does limited social services/welfare and jobs in NH preclude them from coming?
that tends to slow down a lot of people moving to NH. And not all Hispanics are illegal or seeking social services/welfare.

Quote:
Are the towns doing anything to limit illegal immigration?
the New Ipswich police chief, a few years ago, encountered an illegal worker from Mass pulled over on the side of the road to make a phone call (well, at least he had pulled over to make it!). the guy was arrested for having a forged license and being here illegally. Since Dept of Immigrations wasn't interested in deporting him, the police chief charged him with Illegal Trespass! He got the police chief in Hudson to also do the same thing with any illegals he encountered. There may have been one more town who also tried it. Unfortunately when it went to trial, the judge threw it out saying "you know that's not what 'illegal trespass' means!" but the net result is that New Ipswich is now known for not being friendly towards illegals even just passing through working on a job, let alone trying to live there. So they try to avoid it. However... NI, while on the Mass border, is not terribly close to the Boston 'burbs.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitro View Post
+1 hispanic in 2009, I moved in that year!

The first two posts are borderline offensive as they equate 'hispanic' with 'illegal immigrant' and it's probable they wouldn't equate other immigrants in the same light.

I'm from Argentina. Who knows, maybe the only person with Argentine origin in Concord =P. I'm a federal statistician who does not need social services.
Argentina is an interesting country for sure. I would like to visit
To clarify, I am quite fiscally conservative so I am not one who likes increasing social services in general. How are you liking Concord so far?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire