Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 03:27 PM

409 posts, read 1,742,476 times

Advertisements

What's the name of the baking school? I tried to look it up. :S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2006, 09:17 PM

104 posts, read 465,811 times
I actually don't know too much about Hanover, but have been there once several years ago for a campus tour when my oldest daughter applied to Dartmouth. Come to find out, it is one of the most selective schools in the country and she didn't get in, so we never went back there, except passing through to other places. But I do remember that Hanover was a beautiful little college town with a nice downtown full of little shops and stuff. Like I said, the area is gorgeous, and because of the nearby college, there is a lot of art and culture. I remember that there is a big performing arts center on campus (I forget the name) that offers performances to the public as well. Hanover is about a little over an hour from Concord (I think), and just about 1/2 hour north of Lebanon. Because of the Medical Center, there is pretty good economy, although probably more limited than areas closer to the larger cities. It really depends on what type of work you're looking for. HOpe this helps!

Old 09-13-2006, 09:37 PM

It does help. Thanks

Old 09-15-2006, 09:29 PM

19 posts, read 66,688 times
Smile About crime and drugs

If it helps all of you, my husband and I were concerned about which town in NH to settle on with our young girls. So, we researched news headlines and talked to State police at the stations, we did so much research, we feared the heroin and meth areas. We were advised against the lower left hand corner of the state and seacoast area, they believed it was more prevalent in the upper middle class teens, because they could afford their habit, it also helped them in sports!, Get that!. I thought for sure it would have been the lower income areas. Anyway, the visits to local schools to actually see the students for ourselves and also visiting the police stations to get a "feel" for the people around, helped us out. It took five years of research. When we finally settled, come to find out right after, the town we chose, received awards for "9th best small town in America" and Main Street award recognitions and "One of America's dream towns" So just letting you all know. Research definately pays off! Good luck to all of you, God Bless.

Old 09-16-2006, 07:54 AM

55 posts, read 285,455 times
Default drugs and crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvivieros View Post
We were advised against the lower left hand corner of the state and seacoast area, they believed it was more prevalent in the upper middle class teens, because they could afford their habit, it also helped them in sports!,.
Hi, when you did your research did you find the drugs and crime to be pretty bad in the Portsmouth area? That's where my husband and I are looking and we have a son so that is of course a concern for us. In regards to the drugs...is it bad in comparison to the rest of the country...I mean a VERY bad and obvious problem, or is it in relation to NH?

Also, I think you have said in other posts that you are from RI - how do you compare NH to RI? My cousin lives in RI and would prefer we move there, but for some reason I am being more drawn to NH, though I've never been there. But we would like to be near the water, so your comments on the seacoast are concerning. I'd greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Old 09-16-2006, 08:26 AM

My husband and I also really wanted the seacoast very much. I miss the beach so much and being landlocked right now is driving me nuts, but we had to put our safety above being near the beach and had decided look at other places that may be safer for us. Low crime is the most important to us than other things like the beach, etc. Of course, if there is a place by the beach with low crime....
Chris, you said something that I think is very important and I hope other posters follow. You said it took you five years to research. I know we don't all hvae the luxury of time, but spending a weekend in a town during tourist season does not seem like it would give very efficient results when you are looking to find a place to spend the rest of your life. Take the time to research and spend AT LEAST a week in a town doing what the locals do to get a true feel.
Do what the locals do, shop where the locals shop. Go to the grocery store and push the cart around, go to the bank, go to the realtor and ask to look at a couple of houses, visit the school and bring your kid, ask about registering your child, etc. See how the residents interact with you and your children when it is not tourist season. Act as though you are living there already and see how things go. Just a thought.

Last edited by sevdie; 09-16-2006 at 09:36 AM..

Old 09-16-2006, 08:49 AM

639 posts, read 3,519,728 times
Default Re: Lyme Disease & Drugs on Seacoast

Sevdie, I sent you a PM, look for it. It's about Lyme Disease and Drugs that are running rampant in our society now, trust me on that!

Old 09-16-2006, 09:00 AM

OK, I'll read it ow.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:12 AM

55 posts, read 285,455 times
Default research

You're right Sevdie...I've gotten a little stuck on Portsmouth after doing quite a bit of distant research, but I know in the end it will take experiential looking. I think ultimately, if we decide we want to move to New England, we'll rent for 6 months or so somewhere and spend the time touring the whole area, to find the just right place. We won't buy right away. As for water...it's one of the probably 2 reasons we're considering moving at all. I grew up on it, it's in my blood I guess, so it's one of our top values.

So many places sound so nice...Littleton, Hampton...some in CT and RI and MA...as you said, it will take being there to really know a place, its personality and its soul.

Thanks!

Old 09-16-2006, 10:39 AM

19 posts, read 66,688 times
Hi guys, yes I am from RI, and not proud of it, it is very corrupt and very unfriendly, take a trip to RI and see the difference right away compared to NH, my husband and I have a good description, in RI when you are in the same isle with someone in the grocery store and you are the only two in it, passing by each other , we would say hello. In RI they give you a dirty look, for even looking their way. Like "How dare you look in my direction" here it is "Hello, how are you." Obviously, that is generalizing, and not everyone is like that. But, the majority really stands out in RI. Sevdie, is right about the research. You dont need 5 years to research(we did it mainly for financial reasons) we were trying to sell in RI before we came up here. So we had time to research everywhere. Call police stations (non emergency line)lol, go to the schools, or call us and we will be glad to talk to you about the areas. We settled on Littleton for obvious reasons, if you've ever been here. It has everything from a rural mountain setting but still have all the amenities at your fingertips. Hope this all helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire