Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 08:54 AM

69 posts, read 184,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Oh, and I also think a lot of people would probably appreciate a specialty / natural foods store like a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods type place.
Hear! Hear! The problem with these grocery store chains is that they don't see a large enough market in NH. My partner is in the grocery business and has asked these companies and others directly about putting stores in NH. The universal answer has been "not big enough market to justify expanding into the area." I think Hannafords, Shaws and Market Basket have got the region pretty well covered.

Meanwhile, my partner who is also an amazing cook has been learning how to make wholesome, low-calories desserts and other foods. (per demand of my aging self). Her dream has been to open her own deli/specialty foods store. Small, but good. Do you think the region's residents might like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,338 times
I think a really good brick oven pizza restaurant with organic/gluten free options (and Micro Brew Beer and wines!) would do really well in the Lakes Region. Outdoor seating is key.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHGrand View Post
I think a really good brick oven pizza restaurant with organic/gluten free options (and Micro Brew Beer and wines!) would do really well in the Lakes Region. Outdoor seating is key.
Sounds like a great idea. We would probably need close to a million $$ investment for something like that. Talk to Alex Ray (Common Man , man)

Old 08-24-2010, 09:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Something that is counter cyclical to the summer tourist trade. Effectively retail business, including restaurants, shuts down during the winter as the ski crowd heads further north. The lakes region might be a decent place to set up a light manufacturing business of some sort or a new variant on a computer/internet/publishing business. Lots of underemployed available during the winter and decent wages would keep them through the summer.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Something that is counter cyclical to the summer tourist trade. Effectively retail business, including restaurants, shuts down during the winter as the ski crowd heads further north. The lakes region might be a decent place to set up a light manufacturing business of some sort or a new variant on a computer/internet/publishing business. Lots of underemployed available during the winter and decent wages would keep them through the summer.
This sounds like a very practical approach-sustainable, year-round business. I wish I had the $$ to invest in such an endeavor. I was thinking more along the lines of starting small and growing...products(retail) or services.

Given the number of retirees in the area do you think there are needs that being unmet?

I understand the biggest unmet need in the area is probably good-paying, year-round jobs. Such is true in many places in the U.S. right now. (even NJ)

Old 08-24-2010, 06:22 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
I totally agree with some other posters. NH needs a pizza restaurant with brick oven pies as well as GLUTEN FREE menu options.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:04 AM

6,568 posts, read 6,732,860 times
Laconia had a brew-pub: Stone Coast Brewery. It closed up. The locals love their Bud

Old 08-25-2010, 04:39 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
I don't know if this is what you had in mind, but we could really use a *good* movie theater up here, i.e. with actual stadium seating. Right now we have to drive a good hour to get to the nearest modern movie theater in Hooksett.

I'm not sure how lucrative it would be, since even the small theaters are rarely full on opening nights, but maybe if people knew there was a better option, they would flock to it.
Yes, theaters are a huge scarcity in NH. There's one in Newington, NH, and it attracts people from NH, Maine and Massachusetts. We get turned away about half the time (even arriving early), and the parking lot is always full.

But check all the NH business taxes, property taxes, and regulations. NH government is on a huge taxing binge, and business is a big target. I doubt all the other theaters shut down because of lack of business.

Also, if you are going to rehab a building, make sure you meet with the local Building Department, and make sure you're not anywhere near a wetland. They (the State and Local Governments) have over-regulated even rehab activity to the point where most of it is not feasible. Many Building Departments couldn't care less what you want to offer the people of the region: we've been infected with government-gone-mad by liberal Vermont and Massachusetts.

This is not a business-friendly state anymore, and it will get much worse unless we get rid of the spend-thrift Democrats that will continue raise taxes of all kinds until nobody can afford to, or want to, live here anymore.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:27 AM

I suspect the lack of theaters also has to do with the growth of home theatres, Netflix, and computer streaming TV services. Why go to a movie theater when you can sit in the comfort of your own home and watch a HD movie on your big flat screen TV? Yes, there are some movies that MUST be seen on the big screen in a theater, but I think an in all movie attendance is down because of the reason I mention above.

As far as NH being a business friendly state, it seems that many people say that about their states and blame their regional government. I live in NJ and our taxes are some of the highest in the nation, our unemployment is currently at 9.6%, our car insurance is the second highest. My parents, who live in CT also have high taxes and claim it is not a business friendly state.

To blame lack of business development in NH on "liberals" (a segment of the voting population) is short-sighted in my mind. I think you have to look at the economic development drivers in the area. As I said in an earlier post, some of the specialty grocery chains do not see NH as a viable market because of the population demographics--not enough people, not enough $$.

Check out the current NH economic analysis:
Economic Analysis (http://www.nh.gov/nhes/elmi/econanalys.htm - broken link)

When we talked to some business owners during our last trip to NH in July they all said a NH income tax and sales tax was inevitable because the current situation was not sustainable.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:38 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
Strip club or upscale dog boutique
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire