Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 05:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

I think the NH demographics has much more to do with the business atmosphere than the miniscule number of Liberals (the NH Democratic party is NOT Liberal by any means) but because of the ageing of the population. We never had the huge influx of younger immigrants, legal or not, that has provided a youthful base for other places in the country. Along with the loss of manufacturing during the 1960's and '70's this has left the economy vulnerable to changes in disposable income such as vacation spending. As our middle class shrinks the tourism industry will shrink except for the very exclusive places catering to the very wealthy.

If I wanted to start a business in NH, or anywhere in exurban New England, I would investigate what the very wealthy in the Boston-Washington corridor desired in terms of real estate, mansions and services and plan to provide what is wanted not necessarily what is needed. Most likely providing high quality maintenance, repair and security services for isolated property along with catering, cleaning and transport services needed when the property is occupied.

I am not financially or emotionally suited to doing any of the above which is why I am making the suggestion instead of running a business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 07:27 AM

6,570 posts, read 6,736,907 times
Another thing we should remember is that the Lakes Region of NH is a rural area and is not going to ever match the service base that exists in southern NH, or the Boston area. I find I can get most anything I need in Concord if I can't find it up here.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:29 AM

69 posts, read 184,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think the NH demographics has much more to do with the business atmosphere than the miniscule number of Liberals (the NH Democratic party is NOT Liberal by any means) but because of the ageing of the population. We never had the huge influx of younger immigrants, legal or not, that has provided a youthful base for other places in the country. Along with the loss of manufacturing during the 1960's and '70's this has left the economy vulnerable to changes in disposable income such as vacation spending. As our middle class shrinks the tourism industry will shrink except for the very exclusive places catering to the very wealthy.

If I wanted to start a business in NH, or anywhere in exurban New England, I would investigate what the very wealthy in the Boston-Washington corridor desired in terms of real estate, mansions and services and plan to provide what is wanted not necessarily what is needed. Most likely providing high quality maintenance, repair and security services for isolated property along with catering, cleaning and transport services needed when the property is occupied.

I am not financially or emotionally suited to doing any of the above which is why I am making the suggestion instead of running a business.
I think this is very astute reply. The loss of the middle class is very real and should be taken into account when planning a new business. There are many more people with lots of money in my area (NY, NJ) and just as many that have lost everything. The divide is widening. That said, I DO think the wealthy will be able to provide many of the jobs you have listed. Interesting.

When we talked to our friends in Gilford about Holderness, they said most of the people in that area were "old and rich." They didn't think we would make friends easily because people tended to stay to themselves. They said in winter the place empties out.

My sense is that with all the retirees in the area they would love to have some of the personal services you mention. It would be cool to have a business that could supply ALL these services. I would charge a bundle and pay my people well. I bet there a lot of folks who are handy, like to clean, enjoy driving, and even cook. (My partner could probably make a living as a caterer or personal cook). I am not too proud to be of service to others. I think that's why we're here on the planet. (As long as the people I am servicing, service me by paying well)

Old 08-27-2010, 05:21 AM

Revision; I was think about my suggestion and I would add you should concentrate on providing things/services to the newer wealthy that have not extablished multigenerational relationships with their suppliers. In either case I am likely not the only person to think of this so the competition is likely to be fierce.

I almst had such a relationship with a person interested in developing small hydro sites but problems with his own business and the end of the Tax Credits killed the deal. A few years later cancer killed the investor. Good guy, I miss him.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:27 AM

69 posts, read 184,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Revision; I was think about my suggestion and I would add you should concentrate on providing things/services to the newer wealthy that have not extablished multigenerational relationships with their suppliers. In either case I am likely not the only person to think of this so the competition is likely to be fierce.
Actually I did a little research and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of a consolidated concierge-type service.

I guess my best bet would be to move to the area and live there for awhile to see if I could identify a need/want for a great business in the lakes region. Of course the Chamber of Commerce could also be another good resource.

It may turn out that "jersey-style" pizza (+ whole wheat and gluten free offerings) IS the product to bring to the area. If it was good enough and developed a reputation for being the best in the area it could probably be sustained through the year. I'd have to find the "best" recipe. (not a bad goal)

Old 08-27-2010, 10:48 AM

I guess I'll have to try some Jersey style pizza. Anyone know of any in southern NH?

Old 08-27-2010, 06:27 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
Actually I did a little research and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of a consolidated concierge-type service.

I guess my best bet would be to move to the area and live there for awhile to see if I could identify a need/want for a great business in the lakes region. Of course the Chamber of Commerce could also be another good resource.

It may turn out that "jersey-style" pizza (+ whole wheat and gluten free offerings) IS the product to bring to the area. If it was good enough and developed a reputation for being the best in the area it could probably be sustained through the year. I'd have to find the "best" recipe. (not a bad goal)
Oh yes it would definitely be self-sustaining if good word gets out regarding the place. Remember that the Lakes Region is more of a rural area. If a good service exists that people are willing to pay for they will drive 10-20 miles easily. The Gluten free menu options are also very important as Celiac Disease and Gluten intolerance are becoming much more widespread in the US. I have severe Gluten intolerance and have severe allergic reactions to wheat (particularly whole wheat). Even Concord, NH does not have many "very good" local pizza options either. So, if your idealized location is in the Lakes Region you may also get a good amount of customer traffic coming up a few miles from the Merrimack Valley as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire