U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,570 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate to New Hampshire in 10 years, after our kids have graduated from high school. We live in Connecticut, in the town of Simsbury. The property taxes are extremely high. We don't mind paying for them while our children attend the schools here as they are top notch. Once the kids are in college we'd like to move somewhere with lower taxes, somewhere thats peaceful, serene and quiet. Somewhere like the Litchfield Hills, but again, that area is very expensive too. We don't want to move to another town like Simsbury, which I guess would be Hollis or Amerst. We don't want another suburb but a quiet country setting where you can have 4-5 acres of land and is very upscale the way the Litchfield Hills towns are. What towns should we look at? We definately want to be in the eastern/southern part of the state. Thanks for the advice!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 08:31 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,135,886 times
Dublin? Hancock? both are in the south-western (Monadnock) area, both very quaint nice small towns. not a clue what the taxes are.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:03 AM

69 posts, read 170,320 times
I would say look in the lakes region. Property taxes are very low in many towns. Moultonborough, Tuftonboro, Meredith, Holderness, Alton. I grew up in Simsbury and my parents still live there. Grand parents lived in Litchfield. My family had a vacation place in Melvin Village over on the eastern side of Winnepesauki. Very quaint small town, also with low taxes.

Also look at Exeter. I would say that town is most like Simsbury, including higher taxes (22 per 1000).

There are several upscale housing developments being built around the lakes region too. If you want the club house, beach, tennis and built in community you could check out a few of those. I would recommend a visit to the area so you can get a feel for the different towns. We did that this past summer and it was very different from what you see and hear online. Locals were great about sharing info about their towns. Every NH local we talked to loved where they lived. NH seems to have a large population of happy people. Good energy.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,570 times
Thank you both, wannacomehome and catep for the info. I'll check out all the towns you've mentioned. Luckily autumn is upon us, the perfect time to take a day trip up to New Hampshire and look around!

Old 08-25-2010, 02:58 PM

557 posts, read 1,237,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by white62150 View Post
Thank you both, wannacomehome and catep for the info. I'll check out all the towns you've mentioned. Luckily autumn is upon us, the perfect time to take a day trip up to New Hampshire and look around!
The problem is you want larger (4+ acre) parcels of land but an upscale community. That's not too common in NH, IMO.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:12 AM

388 posts, read 911,909 times
I know you said you wanted to stay in the eastern/southern part of the state, but what you are looking for might be in the Hanover/Etna area of the Upper Valley - very upscale, larger homes and lots, close to Dartmouth for cultural needs, etc. Also across the CT River from Hanover is its "twin" Norwich, VT, also upscale and plenty of acreage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire