Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 06:22 PM

107 posts, read 342,239 times

Advertisements

I have somewhat of a specific question(s).
I just moved to Tuftonboro NH and am in the process of picking up a lightly used 2007 GMC for $30K. The truck is coming from out of state and I'm bringing it home with me next week. Now being that I just moved here I have to go get my new NH License and then my truck regi. Can anyone give me a general idea of how much this is going to cost me (both license and registration) and also the most efficient way of doing it?
Getting my new license, can it be done at any DMV sub station or does it have to be in Concord for the first time? Also I mentioned the price of the truck because it is my understanding that will be the basis of the registration fees correct? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 08:27 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,984,906 times
Not sure about the license, I suspect you may have to go to Concord (hope I'm wrong, as it will apply to me in a couple years as well). As to registering your truck, since most registration is done through your town clerk, if you call the town office they will probably be able to tell you the amount. congrats on the move!

Old 08-26-2010, 05:58 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,540,014 times
You will do the driver's license at your nearest (?) DMV office (maybe Laconia?) and the rest at the town hall. The truck is included in your property so will pay a Town tax and a State road use tax based on the weight. Given the value of the truck I would guess around $300 or so.

NH may not have a sales or income tax but that does not mean we don't tax things. BTW - Welcome to one of the prettiest and nicest places on the Planet.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:44 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,869,045 times
I had to go to Concord for my first, but that was in 1980. If i were you I would call them, and call the one in Ossipee on Rt 16, which is the closest.

I am not sure about the first time you reggi up a truck either. Might be you can spend a couple bucks more at the Tuftonboro town hall, to pay the town and the state or do that all in ossipee too.

The lic might be around 65 bucks for a common regular driver's lic with no motorcycle or other, but if you hold other make sure they know or they will take it way. I lost my mc enmdorsement like that, didn't got busted for no mc endorsement and I was fit to be tied!

Then the tax you pay on the truck is rated at the current value of the truck accorind to them and based on what it was new. No getting around that. Each town is different too.

Bring a chair so you don't fall over

Old 08-26-2010, 03:00 PM

64 posts, read 127,694 times
I just moved here from Wisconsin in December so the info should still be pertenient. For your license you can go to the nearest sub station, ours was in Twin Mountain. I don't know exactly the amounts, but for a 1996 Chrysler Concorde for 15 months title and reg. was $195.00 give or take a few cents. :O I just about died! Then when I traded that in for a 1999 Dodge Durango I paid about $90.00 just to transfer the plates. That's what it takes to title and reg 1996 Concorde in Wisconsin.

So, I love the state and think it's the best move I ever made, but there are things that could be better about it.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:45 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,638,572 times
Everything can be done local.

Any DMV office can issue a license. The first one will be a six month temp. The permanent one will be sent after NH gets a transcript from your former state.

Registration can be done in the town of residence even for the first issue. All you need is a proof of residency and the title.

Here's everything.. http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/registration/faq.html (broken link)

But in April a 2010 & 2008 Escape and a 09 HD were almost $1400.00. Value of the vehicle determines the town costs. I believe the state portion is fixed. The value is determined from a NADA type book and condition, miles,etc. make zero difference.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:15 AM

that's why we bought my 2010 Santa Fe down here where it can depreciate a lot cheaper!

Can't find anything regarding an out of state license transfer requires a written and/or driving test, though. Found it!
Quote:
There is no written exam or road skills testing required to change a valid out-of-state license to an NV [sic] driver's license, however you will need to pass the vision test.
that's nice. much faster. shame they can't tell the difference between NH and NV though - that's sad.

Went to the FAQ site. Can we say Department of Redundancy Dept?
Bureau of Driver Licensing US Citizen Transferring Out-Of-State License to NH

MUST SUPPLY:

1. VALID OUT-OF-STATE DRIVER LICENSE.
2. ACCEPTABLE PROOF OF RESIDENCY,

ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:

* NH Valid Registration.
* Town/City Clerk Approval of Residency.
* Utility Bill with a postmark not more than 30 days old and with "Service At" and Addressee locations the same.

3. ACCEPTABLE FORMS OF IDENTIFICATION:

NEED CERTIFIED BIRTH CERTIFICATE, VALID US PASSPORT OR MILITARY ID, PLUS ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:

* Passport
* Divorce decree
* Marriage Certificate, Civil Union Certificate or its equivalent
* Valid out-of-state Driver license or Identification Card
* Original Social Security Card in the exact name of the applicant.

I mean, really! if you MUST SUPPLY the out of state license, and it MAY be an ACCEPTABLE FORM of ID... then why even bother listing all the #3 options?! Plus, a valid passport is acceptable ID AND you may need a valid passport. <sigh> There was something (not on this page) that said that if you changed your name because of marriage, you will also need your marriage license or divorce decree.

Last edited by GotBackHome; 08-28-2010 at 09:24 AM..

Old 08-28-2010, 09:29 AM

Default oh Dear!

DMV really should proof their cut & past a bit better before they upload it live to their site. Not only did the above section claim that you need no road or written test to convert an out of state license to a NV license (in NH, no less), but apparently international licenses require you to get an Arkansas license once you become a resident of NH!!
Quote:
After becoming a resident of the State, you'll be required to convert to an Arkansas license and pass the full - written and road - test plus the eye test.
New Hampshire Drivers License Guide | Free DMV Practice Test
: smack:

Old 08-28-2010, 05:27 PM

858 posts, read 1,796,266 times
That site is not the official NH DMV site. The official is: Driver Licensing FAQs | Division of Motor Vehicles | NH DOS (http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/driverlic/faq.html#required_doc - broken link)

Old 08-28-2010, 06:26 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,638,572 times
Quote:
MAY be an ACCEPTABLE FORM of ID
Some states issue driver's licenses without any proof of residency or legal status. Those licenses are not acceptable for some types of Id's. Those are standard requirements in many states to avoid fraud in the issuing of licenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire