Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 7,958 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Currently I am working in Boston, in November my office will be moved to Salem, NH and I was looking for apartments near Salem, NH and I found lot of good apartments in Nashua.

But the commute from Nashua to Salem NH is through a back road 111, and it took me 35min on a Sunday afternoon to reach from Nashua to Salem NH.

Has any one experienced the office commute from Nashua to Salem NH, please share with me your experience on

- time it might take for the office commute
- How is the back road (111) during snow time.

Thanks in advance for you reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 07:15 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,305 times
Yes, Route 111 is the route from Nashua to Salem. The time you made is average, it might be even more during the week. You can also try Everett Tpke to 495 to 93, which I think would be more time, but depends on where on each city your destinations are. The road is plowed regularly in snow time.

I suggest you look in Derry, Londonderry, Plaistow, Pelham, Windham, Hudson and Salem before Nashua. There are only 2 bridges over the Merrimack and that would make your commute even worse in peak times. Try to be on the eastern side of the river (hence Hudson and points east, not Nashua).

Old 09-03-2010, 10:53 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
Depending on WHERE in Nashua and WHERE in Salem you are trying to get, your commute could be even longer. The 111/102 bridge (Hudson to Nashua) is sometimes a bottleneck even at non-commuter times, but is especially bad for 2 hours each morning and early evening. And the new bridge being built in Bedford (the airport access road) is no help. The next bridge over the Merrimack River would be Rte 3, but you'd be traveling south to go north, and only makes sense if you were looking in the Exit 1/Spit Brook Road area--LOTS of condo/rental developments in that area.

I second Merjolie's suggestion of looking in a town more convenient to Salem. Just did a quick check of rentals in the area,and perhaps you could find something suitable in amongst the rental offerings:

6 in Hampstead
16 in Hudson
17 Londonderry
69 Manchester
42 Nashua
4 Plaistow
9 Salem

By the way, Rte 111 isn't considered a back road, but a state highway, and is normally very well maintained during storms. One thing that you will probably notice if you decide to move up here is that overall, roads are generally in much better condition. Spending time the last few weeks driving on Rte 495 to/through the Amesbury area & the Lawrence/Lowell areas made me realize just how smooth our NH roads are for driving. Very noticable and something that you don't think about until you find yourself bouncing along the highway...

Old 09-07-2010, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 7,958 times
Merjolie & Valerie thanks for sharing your ideas.... it really helps.....

Old 10-05-2010, 11:49 AM

7 posts, read 20,859 times
I think you're much better off looking for an apartment in Salem or nearby in Windham, Derry, Atkinson, or Pelham. The drive from Nashua to Salem will not be pleasant. Rte 111 is definitely well-maintained, but it gets quite congested during AM and PM rush hours. If you're unlucky and there's an accident some morning on I-93 South, then 111 gets backed up from the Exit 3 ramp all the way to London Bridge Road or worse in Windham (in the direction of Nashua). Even the other back roads from Nashua to Salem can get quite busy during rush hour. You're really best off staying near Salem.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:27 PM

395 posts, read 458,511 times
They're doing construction on 93 at exit 3 by 111 in Windham so the commute won't be getting better any time soon if you're coming down 111.

jhmc is right. If you're going to be working in Salem you don't want to be living in Nashua. The towns he mentioned would be much better. you might look at the other side of 111 and try Hampstead. There would be virtually no traffic coming down 111 from Hampstead to Salem in the morning and Hampstead is a great town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire