Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 06:02 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times

Advertisements

I would go with the fair value of the home. You can also make your offer look better to the builder by asking for upgrades or cash @ closing instead of a reduction in the actual sales price. A friend of mine got a great deal on a brand new condo because they didn't ask for a reduction in the selling price, instead they asked for a bunch of upgrades as well as cash @ closing. A win for the builder because the home was listed as "sold" at the asking price (didn't drive down the selling price of other condos in the complex) and a win for them because they got more for less. Granted their offer was also fair based on the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 06:08 PM

885 posts, read 2,661,176 times
Ok - what? Low balling is highly insulting? Everything is negotiable. Supply and demand. The seller can walk away just as easily as the buyer. You're buying a property, not robbing the fellow. Look, who would blink at offering $17K for a car with a $20K MSRP? You would be CRAZY not to. Nobody pays MSRP for cars, because cars generally never have a supply problem. In a property market with almost no demand, a buyer would be crazy not to deal aggressively. The builder can always wait for the next buyer to come along. Never feel guilty for getting a good deal.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:11 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
In a property market with almost no demand, a buyer would be crazy not to deal aggressively. Never feel guilty for getting a good deal.
Agree, the key is to arrange the deal so that you get the highest chance of getting what you want at the price you are willing to pay for it.

It's one thing to offer an arbitrarily low number, another to offer a fair number that happens to be lower.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:50 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
Ok - what? Low balling is highly insulting? Everything is negotiable. Supply and demand. The seller can walk away just as easily as the buyer. You're buying a property, not robbing the fellow. Look, who would blink at offering $17K for a car with a $20K MSRP? You would be CRAZY not to. Nobody pays MSRP for cars, because cars generally never have a supply problem. In a property market with almost no demand, a buyer would be crazy not to deal aggressively. The builder can always wait for the next buyer to come along. Never feel guilty for getting a good deal.

I wouldn't expect to have a salesman agree to drop the car price 25% and neither should a house buyer. Offering $150K for newly built house listed for $200K is insulting. True, the buyer doesn't have to take the offer, and he won't. Just don't expect him to continue listening. I live in the mountains near Lake Winnipesaukee. The homes are selling nearly as quickly as they are listed and new homes are generally sold before they are even built.

You might be lucky and be taken serious. If I was the builder, though, I wouldn't even look at your name if there was a second offer.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Given the current prices why build a new house. I suggest buying an existing house and getting a 300K house for your 180K.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:41 AM

47 posts, read 125,293 times
Around here, public MLS data includes seller subsidy, so the effective sales price is reported. Is that not the case in NH?

If you get cash at closing here, it's very easy to see when you look at the comps.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:15 AM

80 posts, read 276,137 times
I agree with Buck Naked and have to add...
I have experience with only a couple of builders here in the Seacoast area, and in my experience they would rather sit on the house for a year than consider a lowball offer. I am all for negotiating a great deal but at some point you have to consider whether or not you are trying to get something for nothing. I would be offended if someone was asking me to lower my price 25% in a market where the homes that are selling are doing so at about 95% of the listed price.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:25 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,191 times
So are you saying that the housing market in NH has already rebounded? That's not what I'm seeing -- I'm seeing houses sit in Southern NH. I don't think many builders in this market would feel "insulted" by any offer at this stage of the game. With builders going bankrupt everywhere around the country, and so many properties glutting the market, I think the days of builders being insulted are gone, and for a long time.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:26 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
the only houses 'sitting' in this market are the homes that are over priced, homes that are listed for over a 1/2 million and are in the 3/4 million range - a home listed at $200K anywhere in NH is probably NOT overpriced.

What a buyer has to consider is that the builder has already taken into account the market and fair market value. If there is a realtor involved in marketing the property, then you can be sure the property is listed at a fair price. Building supplies and materials have skyrocketed in price, and it's difficult to make a profit compared to just 6 years ago.

If you have found a home at $200K that you like, then offer $185K if you MUST dicker and go from there.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:52 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times
If as a builder I had 200k in a home and my homne was l isted at 296k then someone gave me a bid with a deposit in writing for 240k I woud try for 280k. If not then I would put the home on the market as a rental and build my next home....The larger the builder the more unflexible the builder was to lower his price. I built 5 a year and if I could make 40-50k from a home that cost me 200k and listed at 296k I would take the offer but put up a legitimate argument.

Some customers would want me to take 260k for a 296k home and want me to pay their closing costs. I always said no because it was the principle to me. Offer 260k straight up and I will try to get more but if not then I would add a stainless frig, washer and dryer to entice you to accept my 260k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire