Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:31 AM

46 posts, read 80,355 times

Advertisements

Great:

Kingston, Kensington, Rye, Greenland, Exeter, Brentwood, Hampstead, Chester, Candia, Portsmouth, Newcastle, Atkinson, Stratham, Epping, Danville, freemont, Newton, Hampton Falls, North Hampton

Not so great:

Salem, Nashua, Rochester, Seabrook, Somersworth, Dover, Plaistow, Derry, Londonderry, Hampton, Hudson, Pelham, Windham, Raymond

I agree with most of this but figured I would add my two cents! I kind of wanted to defend my town 'Raymond'.
I lived in Exeter for 12 years which is a very nice town but getting a little too crowded and yuppie now for me. We moved to Raymond 2 years ago, I had always heard how 'dumpy' Raymond was before I moved here but we found a wonderful house and love it now . This town is so much friendlier than Exeter/Stratham area and sooo much cheaper. We have a beautiful house on the Lamprey River and never lock our doors and our neighbors couldn't be better! There is NO traffic here, has a quaint 'downtown' (if you can even call it that) stores, library great parades, in door farmers market, dog park, local park and arts and entertainment during the summer. I think Raymond gets a bad rap maybe because of the way it use to be? Just thought it was worth mentioning?

Yes, Raymond doesn't have the nice downtown area with the 'expensive' little shops like Exeter and Portsmouth but neither do a lot of the towns mentioned in the 'great list' Epping is nothing but chain stores/restaurants and Fremont has a pizza place and that's it and I don't think Danville has anything but a country store?

Anyway, just wanted to add that.... Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 11:24 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenityisadog View Post
Great:

Kingston, Kensington, Rye, Greenland, Exeter, Brentwood, Hampstead, Chester, Candia, Portsmouth, Newcastle, Atkinson, Stratham, Epping, Danville, freemont, Newton, Hampton Falls, North Hampton

Not so great:

Salem, Nashua, Rochester, Seabrook, Somersworth, Dover, Plaistow, Derry, Londonderry, Hampton, Hudson, Pelham, Windham, Raymond

I agree with most of this but figured I would add my two cents! I kind of wanted to defend my town 'Raymond'.
I lived in Exeter for 12 years which is a very nice town but getting a little too crowded and yuppie now for me. We moved to Raymond 2 years ago, I had always heard how 'dumpy' Raymond was before I moved here but we found a wonderful house and love it now . This town is so much friendlier than Exeter/Stratham area and sooo much cheaper. We have a beautiful house on the Lamprey River and never lock our doors and our neighbors couldn't be better! There is NO traffic here, has a quaint 'downtown' (if you can even call it that) stores, library great parades, in door farmers market, dog park, local park and arts and entertainment during the summer. I think Raymond gets a bad rap maybe because of the way it use to be? Just thought it was worth mentioning?

Yes, Raymond doesn't have the nice downtown area with the 'expensive' little shops like Exeter and Portsmouth but neither do a lot of the towns mentioned in the 'great list' Epping is nothing but chain stores/restaurants and Fremont has a pizza place and that's it and I don't think Danville has anything but a country store?

Anyway, just wanted to add that.... Thanks
Raymond may be safe, but locking your doors is a good practice no matter where you live. The location of the Mount Vernon murders of last year was picked in part because it was rural and out of the way where no one could see them. Being in the woods and out of sight carries its own risks. Nothing to freak out about, but worth implementing basic security precautions.

On topic, I would have considered Raymond for a piece of land. It certainly is a convenient location, close to the seacoast and Manchester.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:14 AM

22 posts, read 70,405 times
Default Have not moved yet, but will be visiting this Spring

Hi,

We have not moved yet, we still have to sell our house in Colorado. But we will be visiting this spring. We are making a list of places to visit and a list of prospective towns.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:35 AM

22 posts, read 70,405 times
Bad things can happen anywhere and even in the best neighborhoods. The tragedy in Mount Vernon was truly horrific. We live in a city suburb of Denver where there are shootings, robberies, burglaries, murders every day. The first thing my kids learned in Public school was what to do in a "lock down" situation and not to bring firearms and knives to school. I grew up in Littleton Colorado a very white middle class suburb of Denver where the Columbine shootings took place. So, you never know. Our hope was to move away from the every day crime, but in the back of our minds we are constantly on alert for the random incidents that can happen anywhere.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:40 PM

6 posts, read 10,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
Yveaux, how long will be you be staying when you visit New England next fall?

Have you planned where you will be visiting yet?

If you like the ocean you may want to consider Maine along with NH. There are a lot of nice little towns in Southeastern Maine. York, ME is one of the most absolutely beautiful places in the world. I would definitely recommend you visit there.

Ad for NH I wouldn't recommend living anywhere but the southeast corner of the state. Not that there aren't nice places in other parts of NH but it's where you're most likely to find jobs and it also meets your requirement of being near the ocean.

When visiting the Seacoast of NH I'd skip Hampton beach altogether. It's a dump frequented by loud mouthed punk kids playing their music loud and driving around in their cars.

Just north of Hampton are some nice beaches like Rye Beach, Wallis Sands, Jeness Beach and Odione State Park.

Portsmouth NH is my favorite city in NH. It has something to offer for everyone. If you have children they have free musical theatre in Prescott Park during the summer. Lots of restaurants....Strawberry bank historical buildings, gardens.....Don't skip visiting Portsmouth on your trip.

As for picking a place to live in NH, a highly subjective topic even among life long NH natives but here are my recommendations of great places to live and not so great places.........

Great:

Not so great:

Again these are just my personal preferences but you asked for suggestions.

Good luck with your visit and I'm sure you'll find something you like in NH.
im wondering why you dont like Nashua? we are moving to NH kinda blind, somone recommended Nashua to us. its my self, husband and our 7yr old, so obviously good schools a must but we also like our night life, and the outdoors. were relocating for work, which is located in Woburn MA

Old 10-19-2011, 06:58 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
Quote:
were relocating for work, which is located in Woburn MA
that's probably why! Nashua, on Rt 3, is right on the Mass border on a main route in/out of Mass! schools are adequate/mediocre at best although some of the private schools are likely better.

Nashua is the second largest city in the state so it also kinda depends on what you're used to whether you would enjoy that environment or not. Most here on this board are rural folk and don't care for being that cramped. for those used to higher density, most of Nashua is reasonably fine. sure there's crime (there is any time you get that many people together) but compared to cities of similar size in other states it's still fairly low. Just to us, it tends to look dingy & industrial - we prefer woods and fields.

A city is definitely more likely to have some sort of nightlife? and more general activities than the smaller towns.

If you are truly moving blind and have no opportunity at all to come and visit the state first, please find a rental! You may discover that you'd rather be somewhere around Nashua instead and it's much easier to find a place to buy when you have time to look around and get a feel for the place.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,980 times
This forum is very interesting as we livce in Colorado and have family in NH, Hanover area. We have made a number of trips out there and enjoyed ourselves each time... we have not however been there for more trhan a week at a time..

Since we moved from Michigan to Colorado, noit sure we are ready for humid summerts and gray overcast skies all winter...

Giving up 300 sunny days would be hard... but family would like us to be closer..

This forum gave us more to think about...

One thing out there is that you can be in 3 or 4 states within a few hours

Old 02-08-2012, 08:18 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryM View Post
This forum is very interesting as we livce in Colorado and have family in NH, Hanover area. We have made a number of trips out there and enjoyed ourselves each time... we have not however been there for more trhan a week at a time..

Since we moved from Michigan to Colorado, noit sure we are ready for humid summerts and gray overcast skies all winter...

Giving up 300 sunny days would be hard... but family would like us to be closer..

This forum gave us more to think about...

One thing out there is that you can be in 3 or 4 states within a few hours
NH is nothing like MI in the winter. NH has a mostly majority number of sunny days during winter. The cloudiest time of year is Fall. Spring and Summer feature 1/2 sunny 1/2 overcast days.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:59 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
NH is nothing like MI in the winter. NH has a mostly majority number of sunny days during winter. The cloudiest time of year is Fall. Spring and Summer feature 1/2 sunny 1/2 overcast days.

The weather here is certainly unpredictable at best, The saying goes, Don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.

This year has been a polar opposite of last winter. last winter we had so much snow that I had to shovel my roof several times, buildings were collapsing left and right because of deep snow and it was a snow lovers heaven.

This winter, were in the heart of winter and I can still see my grass and its been in the 40s and sunny alot.

Monthly Weather Forecast for Bow, NH (03304) - weather.com

Can be stressful if your a snow lover. At least in Colorado your pretty much guaranteed the mountains will have snow in February!

Old 02-09-2012, 10:51 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but some of the data I've seen shows that November is usually the cloudiest month, whereas late September/early October is actually the sunniest time of year (quite a big jump from Oct to Nov!). Aside from November, April/May also appears to be a relatively cloudy time of year, moreso than midwinter. To be fair, though, these are pretty minor differences, especially when compared to other climate regions in the US.

NH definitely gets more sunshine than MI during the winter, though, with the possible exception of far northern NH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire