Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:48 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,545 times

Advertisements

NH has more trees now than when it was all farmland 100 years ago. I don't see the problem with taking some trees down to build an extra lane. Trees are a renewable resource...

If anyone wants to do some planting, I have approximately 50,000 acorns on my lawn that I can let you have real cheap.... What is up with the acorn deluge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 08:04 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
NH has more trees now than when it was all farmland 100 years ago. I don't see the problem with taking some trees down to build an extra lane. Trees are a renewable resource...

If anyone wants to do some planting, I have approximately 50,000 acorns on my lawn that I can let you have real cheap.... What is up with the acorn deluge?

because we had an overly dry summer with extended periods without rain, the trees put out excess seeds. It's a survival trick, just in case the tree dies, there will be new young'uns.

I have an excess of acorns this year also. It's like a blanket of acorns out there.

I also lost one of the biggest oaks last year - not sure what killed it, if it was a virus or whatnot. There are others that look in rough shape also. I'm hoping we have not picked up the oak virus that plagues CA and OR. That virus enters through the bark and is transmitted through rain drops.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:30 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
Funny, I saw this mentioned on the late news one night last week. IIRC, the oak trees got a big drink early last spring, just before the acorns started forming. After the initial deluge of water, we had several weeks of perfect conditions for pollination and growing big fat heavy acorns. And to top it off, both red and white oaks are "masting" this year. Masting is some sort of 4 to 7 year cycle of huge acorn production. (Reminds me being in St. Louis in 1998 when the 13-year brood and the 17-year brood of cicadia's emerged spontaneously. Have NEVER heard so much noise from a bug in my life!)

Anyway, that's the story that I got from the news

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post

Old 09-28-2010, 09:48 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would rather have a medium speed three track commuter rail service but that was killed in the 1930's in favor of automobiles and road building. Now there are so many cars the roads are not working during rush hours.

The trains should be express from Boston to the Mass border, then stops in Salem, Windham, Derry, North Londonderry, and Manchester with connections to Hooksett, Concord and points North and West. Parallel high speed rail connections through Concord, Lebanon and Vermont to Quebec City and Montreal should also be developed. All of these rail lines should be powered by nuclear generated electricity instead of coal and oil.

Only one line is planned for NH. Thats the Extension of the MBTA Lowell line , form Lowell to Concord with stops @ North Chelmsford , Tyngsborough , Nashua , Merrimack , Manchester Airport , Manchester , Hooksett , Concord. It won't be electrified as the MBTA doesn't seem to want to Electrify anything. The High Speed Line would run form Boston North Station up the Lowell line with Stops @ Boston , Lowell , Manchester , Burlington and Montreal High Speed Rail and Electrified Rail is usually powered by Hydro , Nuclear or Wind plants like the Northeastern Network is. If you want future Expansions a line form Manchester or Nashua to the coast could be a good thing to build.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:28 AM

586 posts, read 1,506,299 times
I wish they would get either of those rail lines built. Anyone know the best place for current info/status? The last report I was was the economic impact statement from March 2010.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:14 PM

379 posts, read 1,418,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by east2westagain View Post
It's been a couple weeks since they removed the trees in the median at Exit 2 and I find myself really missing them. It used to be so great seeing the 'Bienvenue' at the border and being swallowed by all that green. That was my 'almost home' spot. Now that strip is starting to feel like an extension of Massachusetts... Do you think it will be that way all the way to Exit 5 when they finish?

Is it possible to discuss New Hampshire without mentioning Massachusetts? Anyway, they've clear cut many parts of the highway divide all they way up here @ exit 23 & beyond (it looks like NH with less trees).

They're doing a nice job of cleaning it up, but there is more head on traffic lights in your eyes at night...maybe less animal danger. I just hope the state cashed in on the logs and wood pulp.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:31 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarynO View Post
Is it possible to discuss New Hampshire without mentioning Massachusetts? Anyway, they've clear cut many parts of the highway divide all they way up here @ exit 23 & beyond (it looks like NH with less trees).

They're doing a nice job of cleaning it up, but there is more head on traffic lights in your eyes at night...maybe less animal danger. I just hope the state cashed in on the logs and wood pulp.
Yes, they cleared a ton of trees along the medians and sides of the highway up in the Lakes Region on 93 as well. I have no idea why because no highway exapnsions were occurring there other than resurfacing projects. The excuse I got was "they needed somehwere to put all the maintenance vehicles and construction materials." The fill soil also results in lots of nasty knotweed with fewer tree saplings. Oh well...

Old 09-29-2010, 02:54 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I have no idea why because no highway exapnsions were occurring there other than resurfacing projects.
They have to do something with all that stimulus money...

Old 11-19-2010, 05:28 AM

477 posts, read 899,910 times
The northern areas were cleared for sunlight issues as well. Also, there is no money to the state in whatever was cut. I would be surprised if it didn't cost the state a boatload of money to do it.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:09 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHForester View Post
The northern areas were cleared for sunlight issues as well. Also, there is no money to the state in whatever was cut. I would be surprised if it didn't cost the state a boatload of money to do it.
"The northern areas were cleared for sunlight issues." Wouldn't fewer trees result in more sunlight GLARE problems for motorists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire