Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 02:32 PM

279 posts, read 589,830 times

Advertisements

Sorry if my headline comes off as rather rude but I've been facing quite a problem since moving here. I have PMDD. I get that many people don't know what that is. In essence, it's a mood disorder than only occurs part of each month. In lamens terms, it is PMS at it's most severe and it requires treatment. Well, I've called general practitioners, OBGYN's, and endocrinologists in the area. Like I said, I understand a normal person may not know what it is if they don't know anyone that has it, but a doctor should! And none of them do. I'm reaching out on here, somewhat embarrassed, but hoping someone on here has or knows someone who has PMDD and can give me some referrals for a doctor closer than Boston. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 03:17 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,008,793 times
Is it similar to SADD?? My neighbor has that. If it's similar I'll get you her doc's name.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:31 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
Rizzo,
no, as I understand it's like PMSx5. A friend of mine probably has it (not sure if it was ever diagnosed): she calls it "pre-monster syndrome". I can be excrutiatingly painful or simply such hormonal overload that her husband will sleep in the guest room to make sure he doesn't even touch her in his sleep. It's been discussed occasionally on the TV show "The Doctors".
Danielle, I wish I had some suggestions for you, but I don't know any drs. have you considered maybe a naturopath or an herbalist? they might be able to work with you.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:16 AM

205 posts, read 946,780 times
Have you asked the physician/clinical psychologist who originally diagnosed you to recommend a Dr? He/she may be a resource. I note you listed that you've contacted GP's, OB/Gyns and Endo's but not Psychiatrists or Clinical Psychologists who would be much more apt to be familiar with PMDD. Below is a link to a PMDD website which lists doctors by state who treat patients with PMDD.

http://pmdd.factsforhealth.org/help/clinician.asp

I'm sure you are frustrated but you really can't made a statement about NH doctors being poorly educated. NH doctors are educated at medical institutions throughout the U.S. and internationally. As in any profession, some are better than others.

Good luck in finding a doctor who can help you.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:44 AM

3,688 posts, read 7,428,446 times
Boston isn't that far away; go to the big city and find a real doctor.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:38 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellenbosley View Post
In essence, it's a mood disorder than only occurs part of each month.
did it occur as you made this thread?

i second the motion on the boston idea.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:55 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
did it occur as you made this thread?
yeah, but it's a mood disorder caused by a very physical -hormonal issue. Women get really really tired of being told it's all in their head and not a real problem. I'm surprised boht the OB/GYNs and the Endocrinologists haven't been familiar with it.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:53 AM

247 posts, read 538,242 times
Ignorance and apathy are found everywhere.They can be particularly dangerous in the medical field.Unfortunately, I believe the medical field is corrupted like many other 'business' fields.The integrity and knowledge of many doctors and nurses is suspect.They may not want to fix you but they do want you as a 'client'. Beware of uncommunicative,old, inexperienced and arrogant doctors.Sometimes there is not a choice.Take care of yourself.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:57 PM

885 posts, read 2,660,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellenbosley View Post
Sorry if my headline comes off as rather rude but I've been facing quite a problem since moving here. I have PMDD. I get that many people don't know what that is. In essence, it's a mood disorder than only occurs part of each month. In lamens terms, it is PMS at it's most severe and it requires treatment. Well, I've called general practitioners, OBGYN's, and endocrinologists in the area. Like I said, I understand a normal person may not know what it is if they don't know anyone that has it, but a doctor should! And none of them do. I'm reaching out on here, somewhat embarrassed, but hoping someone on here has or knows someone who has PMDD and can give me some referrals for a doctor closer than Boston. Thanks
Did you actually manage to speak to a doctor at each place you called? (Generally they won't come to the phone on-demand). I imagine it would be quite time consuming to get a statistically reasonable sample of actual doctors before you had enough data to suggest that all docs in NH are poorly educated.
Personally, I've found docs and the medical facilities in NH much better than in my last big city - L.A. For starters they actually CONSULT YOU, which many of my prior practitioners didn't seem to have time for and would just shove the next chemical solution at me for want of a 10 minute talk about symptoms.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I am fortunate to have a very competent physician at Londonderry Family Practice. Look them up and give them a call. My sympathy about your problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire