Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 20,883 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a car that passed VT inspection but would not pass NH inspection due to rust on the undercarriage. Is Bondo an acceptable fix to pass inspection. The car is 16yrs old, of course it has some rust.

Help!! new it for commuter since I drive 100+ everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 08:57 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,638,572 times
I've never had anyone check for rust on the undercarriage. Any car in the region would surely have some.

A rusted area that allows exhaust gas into the passenger area is a safety concern and has killed more than a few , especially in the colder months. I would say simply patching the hole would do it.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:26 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,869,045 times
Assuming the rust is a big hole in the rockers and maybe into the interrior air patch n plug it. It doesn't need to be pretty. Bondo like things need support, or just fall out.

It is getting late in the seaon for things like Bondo to cure too.

If you like post a pic, or shoot me a dm. I have done a little rust work before.

See Volvo, Saab, Chevy, Jeep,
Pictures by Mac_Muz - Photobucket

The other day for a friend I did a slam rocker pannel patch fast, cheap and dirty, just covered the hole with a steel sheetmetal plate and screwed it on. I don't bother with pics for work like that.

The Saab was sold, and all there is to see is a new shock mount, but that was a structural job needing to hold the shock on the car and function.

I still own the chevy and the volvo. The jeep was a for hire deal, and never mine, but the guy wanted better than OEM rockers, and so I made them of a thicker gauge steel by hand.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 20,883 times
Thank you both for the great information. Will do the patch with Bondo and some metal since it is in the rocker panel area too. We'll see what they tell us.......thanks again

Last edited by mrichards; 10-12-2010 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: misspell

Old 10-16-2010, 05:47 PM

If the car is of any value to you in terms of m0ney or a really long life, feel free to show me and i can make some suggestions. If it's a winter beater, then any old rust guy can do it.

What i do lasts a very long time, and usually that what folks who want me want.

The fast and dirty was on a katrina truck which was sold 3 times fast illegally. I did a 66 hour 4 wheel brake job, on that and replaced every single brake line there is counting all the flex lines.

A very nasty bit of work, but it is done and done well. I am not a commercial concern, and do this for certain folks with like minds in some case as a custom tech. Everything is free till I bust my knuckels.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 9,608 times
If Bondo doesn't work, I used a guy in Hudson, NH at Andy's Auto Body, and he did a great job at a reasonable price.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:24 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,540,014 times
I had a car with rusted out door bottom rear corners. I made an acceptable patch out of some galvanized stove pipe pop riveted in place. The metal is now rusting so I guess it will get some Rustoleum paint. The inspector I go to lets me get away with a lot of cosmetic stuff but has caused me to scrap cars because of severe frame rust.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:37 AM

Greg, last fall I made some panels for the company Toyota, and of 14 gauge sheet steel. I primed these and painted the inside green because that's what i had and painted the outside black. These may last as long as the rest of the truck does as it has bad frame rot, not worth the time to fix....

My 85 Volvo is up for scrap and parts too. A decade ago I did the body over, but i don't have the ambition to do it again. Right now it to is a day to day driver, but in Fall I won't regii it up again.... I hope someone will buy it for parts or to fix. it has 3 sets of wheels and 2 have great rubber. The turbo works great still too.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:37 AM

4,179 posts, read 3,707,399 times
Not sure where in NH you live but theres a place in Weare NH called Allied Auto Wrecking that does car inspections. Years ago they passed my car with no brakes, rust, you name it. One time they just did a visual inspection of it and handed me a sticker. Not sure if they still operate like that but they were always my go to shop for inspections. Maybe youd have better luck at a place like that.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Not sure where in NH you live but theres a place in Weare NH called Allied Auto Wrecking that does car inspections. Years ago they passed my car with no brakes, rust, you name it. One time they just did a visual inspection of it and handed me a sticker. Not sure if they still operate like that but they were always my go to shop for inspections. Maybe youd have better luck at a place like that.
Probably not..... Some time after 1996 the DWM got the bright idea to test all cars from that time and newer via computer cable straight to Concord. Stickers these days for cars run 30/40 bucks depending on where you go. It is al most as much for pre 1996 cars that can't get a cable hooked up too.

It's a win win for the DMV since they only lease the computers to the inspecting shops. I am not sure what the rate is, but i think it's 50 bux a month.

me I got no use for the DMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire