U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 9,520 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are looking to relocate to the Berlin area of New Hampshire.

Does anyone have any advice as to where would be the best areas to live in. We don't need to live right in the town. We live in a quaint town in PA and we have a few bars, restaurants, and shops to keep us entertained. We will be looking for a rental so if you have any contacts let me know! We will be doing most of our search from PA and than coming up for a long weekend to narrow down everything.

Any help in advance would be very, very much appreciate. Let me know everything I need to know because I am clueless!

Thanks in Advance!
Meredith
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 08:27 AM

17 posts, read 52,036 times
My husband and I moved from Massachusetts to Bethlehem, NH and our business to Lancaster, NH this past Spring. We moved from a quaint area of MA that had lots of small towns with town centers with shops, restaurants, etc., but have not really been able to find much to compare with that up here in Northern, NH. The restaurants/bars are few and far between and most require 20-30 minutes or more of driving to get to and then there is only 1 or 2 to choose from. If having restaurants and bars nearby is a priority for you I don't think Berlin (although I have only been there a couple of times) is the right choice. Northern New Hampshire is an outdoorsman's dream with hiking trails, snowmobile trails, skiing, snow shoeing, motorcyle riding, etc. but not so much in the way of night life or fine dining. It's a trade off that we are more than satisfied with but I have to say that I do once in a while wish there was more in the way of venues in which to socialize and meet people. You might want to consider mid-State which is also spectacularly beautiful and outdoorsey but also has much more in the way of social venues.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 55,515,047 times
Check places nearer Littleton or Conway. Since the paper mill closed Berlin smells better but is economically on life support.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:27 PM

4,550 posts, read 10,986,050 times
Yuck Berlin is a place to stay far from Littleton area is better, but, I also suggest Franconia area is nice. Don't even think about Woodsville area though as that is also an armpit

Old 10-23-2010, 05:44 PM

19,023 posts, read 24,159,769 times
There is nothing in Berlin, just a new fedral prison. Maybe Gorham Jefferson, Littleton, Lancaster even Colebrook have something to offer, but Berlin is dead.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:41 AM

497 posts, read 890,618 times
go south of Berlin, you'll find many a fine place to live, and still stay in the White Mountains.

There is nothing in Berlin, unless of course, your BF is going to work in the prison.....But then again, why live there.

Last edited by NewNHguy; 10-26-2010 at 03:43 AM.. Reason: Spehllling

Old 10-26-2010, 09:27 AM

3 posts, read 12,016 times
Default Recommend Lancaster,NH

Hello,
I live in LAncaster NH and highly recommend this place. It is a good community and peaceful place to live, we have amateur theater twice a year,movie theater, great library, historical society with a very popular flea market every other Sunday in the summer and fall, Farmers Market June to October. There are countless places to hike with a heritage trail coming thru town and Weeks state Park nearby with hiking, cross country skiing and Two rope. There are side walks everywhere in town so it's accessible on feet. We have outdoor store Simon the Tanner, Pizza Bar and Steak and seafood restaurant. Littleton with big box stores is close enough to shop but far enugh not be bothered by traffic.
If you have or planning to have kids there is private Sunybrook Montessori Preschool and Colonel Town Recreational Center.
Snowmobile trails are coming thru town, there is fishing and great roads for biking-mountain and road bike.
If you have more questions I will be happy to help.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:31 AM

3 posts, read 12,016 times
Default Fine Dining

As for fine dining in the area:
Tim-Bir Alley in Littleton
Libby's Bistro Gorham
Elements St.Johnsbury,VT

Old 10-26-2010, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 9,520 times
He actually will be working at the new federal prison so he would like to be within 30 mins or so. I know Berlin does not have the best reputation so all the suggestions have been very helpful!

Old 10-26-2010, 04:14 PM

497 posts, read 890,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanm View Post
He actually will be working at the new federal prison so he would like to be within 30 mins or so. I know Berlin does not have the best reputation so all the suggestions have been very helpful!

Meri...if I may....
Go to the prison, then drive 30 minutes in every direction:
there's got to be a nicer place than Berlin within 30 miles. On top of that, I would think that just for peace of mind, you'd not want to see it looming in the distance of where you live, just so you weren't bringing work home every evening.
The Mt. Washington Valley offers some great places to live. 30 miles south should just about bring you to Jackson/Glen area. Breathtaking, houses with resale value, and just all around better than Berlin. Just round the corner from Jackson is Conway[s], and shopping and 'civilization'...
30 miles east I bet would put you out of the state, but Littleton/Dalton and those areas are awesome too!
Franconia Notch will take your breath away.

Find a realtor that'll work with you.
Also, go online and look at the chamber of commerce[s] for the towns that interest you. ALOT of info can be gathered there.

Last edited by vter; 10-27-2010 at 06:47 AM.. Reason: send realtor recs via DM only
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire