Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think NH will institute a state income tax within 5 years?
Yes 12 32.43%
No 25 67.57%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 08:57 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,255 times

Advertisements

Sporin - That's interesting. I didn't realize they varied so much. I still have to figure out where Littleton is in regard to the "upper valley region" - on the news, at least one station, seems to consider it the upper valley, but I was also told we're really the "upper-upper valley" <g>.

In any case, I hope NH doesn't go with a state income tax, but I suppose in a way it's inevitable (spelling doesn't look right) eventually. I know in NY there are a lot of "hard feelings" for lack of a better term, about the way the income tax is used - the people in the govt. always manage to vote themselves pay raises before the end of their session and a lot of the money finds it's way to helping to fund NYC - people in the other areas of NY get really ticked off by both of those. Hopefully, if NH DOES institute a state income tax, it will do a better job with the monies, but I can see what "Mustard" has said could and probably would happen........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 09:56 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,923 times
There is only one way to vote if you don't want higher taxes.........Lots of people from other states come here to shop because there is no sales tax. It would be foolish to change that. Out economy would really suffer.

Carrie

Old 07-05-2007, 12:46 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,838 times
Compare Windsor VT (where I live) to Lebanon NH, right across the river.

Untitled Document (broken link)

I'm not saying VT is cheaper, we have income and sales tax to make up the difference is all. My point is that for all the "rankings" I see with VT so high and NH so low, I've not seen that in my own personal experiences. I've lived in both states and I see it simply as states getting their "pound of flesh" one way or the other. {shrug} Difference is NH talks all tough about "no taxes" when they have a dozen other ways to make you pay (insane car reg. prices being only one of them).

Last edited by Sporin; 07-05-2007 at 01:01 PM..

Old 07-05-2007, 02:33 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Rankings mean nothing unless you're a "typical" person or couple.
Location, income, property, there are many variables that can make one state cheaper than another even if it's ranked as a higher tax state.

We all know who likes more taxes. Once Pandora's Box is opened, that's the end. Next would be a "small" sales tax.

You're right, politicians forget who they are when they get the drugs of power and money. There are people who need to be in treatment more than a bunch of Hollywood stars...70% of politicians.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:36 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Four words - Look at New Jersey

Old 07-05-2007, 05:46 PM

951 posts, read 1,655,407 times
The taxes seem brutal, but if you factor in no sales tax and no income tax, I would actually be doing better in NH than here in Mass. Like others have said, it depends on where you live and how well the town you are in manages their assets.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:22 PM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,175,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windchimes03561 View Post
In any case, I hope NH doesn't go with a state income tax, but I suppose in a way it's inevitable
No, please don't say it's inevitable. It isn't! NH can keep its advantage of no income tax and no sales tax, but ONLY if the citizens demand that it stay that way.

Mustard is absolutely right. If New Hampshirites allow an income tax or sales tax to be passed, over time it will grow and grow and become more and more burdensome. That is exactly what's happening here in Phoenix. Taxes keep going up and politicians just keep spending it on ever more wasteful things (like building a $300 million dollar hotel and giving a $100 million tax break to a commercial development already in the final planning stages.) Don't let New Hampshire go down that road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibseysgirl View Post
(especially since the whole school funding fiasco a few years back,....for the life of me I cant remember what its called..begins with a C)
It's known as the Claremont decision.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:39 AM

117 posts, read 485,883 times
Every state that I have lived (3) has raised their income or sales taxes so many times that it is used to justify every shortfall that state has had. In OH we have had a temporary increase in a sales tax for 5 years now which sort of means it is permanent. One state I lived in had a 4% tax become a 6.75% state income tax in only 12 years--there is no end unless the taxpayers revolt--it will go up always.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:38 AM

151 posts, read 817,502 times
The government should be forced to work within its limits. Giving them more money is like giving an alcoholic the keys to the bar. They will always abuse it.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:38 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
My mother, a SoNH resident, thinks it's inevitable and actually wouldn't object if it was something like a flat-fee - she thinks it might solve some problems. I think she's a bit naive.

Here in MD, where we have both sales & income tax <shudder>, last year with our Republican governor (first time since Agnew!) we had a balanced budget, this year we've gone back to a Dem and his budget has a 1.5 BILLION deficit. Now gee, where is that money going to come from! (plus we've got the city and the county property taxes)

If NH institutes an income tax, it will never go away and it will keep on growing. One of the things we like up NH is it's independance and not following everyone else. Just say 'No' if it ever comes up on a ballot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire