Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2007, 06:31 PM

453 posts, read 2,100,635 times

Advertisements

my fiancee and i are wanting to go to the white mountains for a weekend of snow skiing, etc. we've searched all over and can't find any information about when snow season starts. i know that there's no definite time, but is october a safe bet or is that too early?

Last edited by mrdude; 07-04-2007 at 06:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 06:48 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Post Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
my fiance and i are wanting to go to the white mountains for a weekend of snow skiing, etc. we've searched all over and can't find any information about when snow season starts. i know that there's no definite time, but is october a safe bet or is that too early?
Yes, their can be some snow in October in some of the higher elevations of the White Mountains, especially near Mount Washington. The snow season would probably start the earliest in Coos County and the higher elevations of Grafton and Carroll Counties. November and December would probably be better for skiing climatologically speaking because the low temperatures start to get a lot cooler in the mountains compared with October.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:51 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Hi MrDude - Last year, if I remember correctly, the popular ski areas around us weren't able to make snow until .... oh gosh, November or December, maybe? Anyone else remember? It was, according to people who have lived around here for years, a "weird winter" and a lot of the ski areas were hurting until January or February - I wish I could be of more help. I think if it was me, I'd aim for later in the year, but I'm relatively new to the area - maybe you could call or email the ski areas you're interested in and they could give you a better idea?

Old 07-05-2007, 04:14 PM

142 posts, read 573,465 times
Hey Windchimes, If I remember correctly it started in late January,because
we came up to littleton the second week of Febuary and they just had gotten
a big storm,I remember being a little concerned because I wanted to go their
when their was snow and it happened very late this year:

Old 07-05-2007, 05:13 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Hi roerinaci! You know, you're right! I remember now, how I kept saying, "Watch, we haven't had any kind of major snow, we're scheduled to close and move on Valentine's Day...THAT'S when we'll get a ton of it"....Guess I kinda sorta jinxed us....I still haven't lived that down

Old 07-08-2007, 04:10 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
The last 2 years in COOS county near Berlin and errol, my brother didn't even register his snowmachines because there was not enough snow to use them. That industry was hurting for the hotels and ski resorts all year long. It seems over the years, the snow is not as much as it used to be. I remember being a kid walking to school in 3 feet of snow every week was the norm and now it seems that's about the most for the whole season up there. I would wait until January which is the coldest month of the year that way the ski resorts will at least have the cold weather to make artificial snow in case the real stuff doesn't come on its own.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:21 PM

793 posts, read 3,121,504 times
Most resorts will be opening in November, especially Thanksgiving weekend. Don't hold out much hope for natural snowfall, it has been very scarce most winters in New England since the early 90's and was nonexistent until Valentine's Day this past winter in New Hampshire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire