Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 01:12 AM

23 posts, read 100,708 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am planning on moving up to New Hampshire in May from North Carolina. My parents moved up there to Merrimack this past May. Anywho, I was wondering what months you folks ride your motorcycles? I know some of you are going to give me hardcore answers like "I ride every single weekend throughout the year" , but I am not quite that epic. I am just looking to get a general idea when I would be able to ride without freezing my ass off and slipping on ice patches. I am hoping I can ride from March till November. Is this a reasonable goal? I look forward to hearing from you fine folks.

Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 07:36 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,197 times
I'd like to know as well too.

I'm both an avid cyclist and motorcyclist, and here in Colorado, there is maybe 2 month where I park my bikes.

We'll see what happens with the job offers for my wife this week.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I would say late March through Early November particularly if you stick to early afternoon near either end of the season.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:12 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
It will depend where you want to ride. I live above Concord and east, 15 miles south of the East entrance to Rt 112 the Kanc.

I ride on days till Nov 30th when my regii goes dead, and don't regii up again till April. Starting in Oct you won't want to ride for the cold after dark. If you do, you will need more clothing and snowmoblie quality gloves.

Once my bike is put up for winter, i don't ride again till after either a few Spring rains or a real humdinger rain, to wash off road salt.

I see riders out on any clear weekends all year, not many, but what they all share in common is a duel sport bike, which has lots of plastics and is easy to wash clean, not like my bike.

I have hit road salt on my bike and don't like it a bit, also hit snow in the high places on the Kanc, both in Fall and in Spring. In late fall or early spring black ice can form in late afternoon shadows too. That can wake you right up! It comes from the days melt off turning back to ice.

You don't really see untill you learn where to expect it.

Some Aprils are not real good foor riding at all above Concord anyway. Maybe down south you can, but I seldom go south on any rides.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:01 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,180 times
I would think that mid March thru early to mid November is doable. It all depends on what part of the state you prefer to ride and how you dress. I've ridden up until early Dec some years, but that was only daytime rides .A few years i was able to ride 6000 plus miles.There's been years down here in Florida where i haven't ridden that much. You'll love riding in NH.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:19 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,661,915 times
Once the snow hits your frame will be covered with salt after a short ride. Fine if you have the means to wash it off. If left on, you will find corrosion on the bottom of the bike in short order. It will really screw up and of the plated parts.

Other than that a good well fitting set of Gerbing gloves and jacket liner will allow you to ride all season. I rode 12 months a year in NJ.

Actually, wet leaves can be more of an issue in the fall on smaller side roads.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:04 PM

I been ill, but went ridin' today, did a 100 miles and didn't leave till afternoon. It was a little brisk on the return trip, but no chill blaines cold yet. From Tamworth I went west under the Kanc, came up in Lincoln, but couldn't get into Lincoln for all the leaf peepers Hit the Depot Brewery for one, just one with clams and taters some garlic bread. left there to head up Rt 112 to Lost River but saw it was cloudy up there, so turned back. Headed south on Rt 175, and sick twisted sister with a fine cheese grader bridge. Them bridges are just so much fun, next best thing to black ice and no salt a bit

38 degrees out right now and will hit 30 for a killin frost here tonight. We can ride here all year long but about half is on a sled. It's just another season, and why you can sled to a wally world or two just like with a bike.

I don't venture to the south of me much, it's madness down thar!

I was dressed in my mule ear boots which are a 1880's style boot, See Lonesome Dove, or the Wild West Tech on History Channel.

Jeans, no longies there, but 2 longies shirts and one real wool bright red jack shirt I wear like a button down shirt and my ridin' jacket.

Since I been ill, I wrapped my neck in a long black silk rag my wife gave me of a dress she had when we dated. I wore another black silk scarf store bought and hemmed like a pirate under my lid to keep my head a little warmer. and long gauntlett gloves.

Of course we had more stuff, leather chaps (assless pants ) turtle fur pants for the both of us, and other warmer or wind proof gear, but didn't need it.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:55 PM

23 posts, read 100,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I been ill, but went ridin' today, did a 100 miles and didn't leave till afternoon. It was a little brisk on the return trip, but no chill blaines cold yet. From Tamworth I went west under the Kanc, came up in Lincoln, but couldn't get into Lincoln for all the leaf peepers Hit the Depot Brewery for one, just one with clams and taters some garlic bread. left there to head up Rt 112 to Lost River but saw it was cloudy up there, so turned back. Headed south on Rt 175, and sick twisted sister with a fine cheese grader bridge. Them bridges are just so much fun, next best thing to black ice and no salt a bit

38 degrees out right now and will hit 30 for a killin frost here tonight. We can ride here all year long but about half is on a sled. It's just another season, and why you can sled to a wally world or two just like with a bike.

I don't venture to the south of me much, it's madness down thar!

I was dressed in my mule ear boots which are a 1880's style boot, See Lonesome Dove, or the Wild West Tech on History Channel.

Jeans, no longies there, but 2 longies shirts and one real wool bright red jack shirt I wear like a button down shirt and my ridin' jacket.

Since I been ill, I wrapped my neck in a long black silk rag my wife gave me of a dress she had when we dated. I wore another black silk scarf store bought and hemmed like a pirate under my lid to keep my head a little warmer. and long gauntlett gloves.

Of course we had more stuff, leather chaps (assless pants ) turtle fur pants for the both of us, and other warmer or wind proof gear, but didn't need it.

My mom is always ooing and awwing about that kank highway. I don't know how to spell or pronounce it so I won't even try. It sounds like you really had a nice time. LOL @ assless pants though haha.. It was 89 degrees here today so I did a little riding too.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:09 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,661,915 times
A lot depends on the bike itself. I rode 12 months a year when I had the Goldwing. the large integrated fairing did a great job of keeping the wind at bay. Now the Ultra classic doesn't do the job as well but the Gerbing heated jacket liner is insulated and heated keeping the core warm. Good boots and socks are a must as well as either heated gloves of really great gloves. The heated hand grips aren't effective in really cold weather.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
A lot depends on the bike itself. I rode 12 months a year when I had the Goldwing. the large integrated fairing did a great job of keeping the wind at bay. Now the Ultra classic doesn't do the job as well but the Gerbing heated jacket liner is insulated and heated keeping the core warm. Good boots and socks are a must as well as either heated gloves of really great gloves. The heated hand grips aren't effective in really cold weather.

Do you have a heated garage that happens to be well drained? How do you wash off the salt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire