Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 02:42 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anything about Plymouth, NH?

It looks rather promising save for one thing: Crime stats. For such a small town, crime is rather high. Check out city data's stats at: //www.city-data.com/city/Plymou...Hampshire.html

Most of the crime seems low to comparable for town of that size, but the increasing number of rapes, assaults, burglaries, and thefts concerns me. Any idea why those stats are so high? Is it the college there (date rape, frat fights)? Is the drug activity really high there? That might explain the high burglary and theft rate --- addicts financing a drug habit. Are there gang problems in the local schools?

Any idea why those particular crimes are so high in Plymouth?

Also: Any other information --- quality of life, public schools, housing, cost-of-living --- would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2006, 10:53 AM

38 posts, read 120,563 times
I saw your post hanging here all by itself. I went to Plymouth State College back in the 80's, and ended up living in the area for a few years after graduation. I loved living there. It is a small college town with a beautiful, mountainous setting. It's near NH's north country, but right off I-93 for convenience to anywhere else. It has a nice downtown, with a "village green", a bakery, book store and coffee shop. As is typical for a college town, it's kind of sleepy in the summer but busy during the months college is in session. The college (now Plymouth State University) dominates the town, as you drive through Main St. it is right up the hill.
It is a great place to live if you like the outdoors. There are lakes, rivers, mountains, all kinds of activities nearby. As far as the crime stats go, I haven't heard of it being especially crime-ridden, though I'm sure your assumption is correct, the college skews the stats somewhat. I have only heard that the town often clashes with the college over parties, vandalism, drinking, the sort of things you'd expect anywhere. In my day, PSC was much more of a party school, now it's cleaned up its act somewhat.
Do you remember the pilot tv program, "The Brotherhood of Poland, New Hampshire?" a few years back? It was supposedly modeled on, or at least filmed in, Plymouth.
Would you be new to NH? Where are you living now?

Old 09-08-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipsee View Post
Do you remember the pilot tv program, "The Brotherhood of Poland, New Hampshire?" a few years back? It was supposedly modeled on, or at least filmed in, Plymouth.
I vaguely remember it, but I don't think I watched more than 5 minutes of it --- if that.

Quote:
Very new. Never been there, in fact, though I do have family in southeast NH. I was born and raised in New Mexico, couldn't get out fast enough, and now live in Washington State between Tacoma and Seattle. Don't like it either. It costs too much to live here, traffic is terrible, crime is awful and getting worse, and I want snow in the winter.

We're planning on making a trip to New England early next year to scope out places to live, and we're trying to narrow our list.

Basically we are wanting:

Affordable cost of living. We need somewhere where we can get a 4-6 bedroom house for no more than $200k. This rules out most of southern New England.

Low crime. We've got gangs here, our house has been burglarized, we've got prostitution on our neighborhood streets. I don't want my kids in this mess. I realize that no place is Utopia, but I want somewhere where I don't have to be afraid to let my kids play outside in their own neighborhood. If a house full of college kids wants to party up the street, that's fine. Just keep it inside and keep it quiet. What consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home is none of my business. But if it is invading my living space, it becomes my business, and I can get cranky about it.

Good schools. We have kids, and I want them to have a good education.

Four seasons. I don't mind a hot summer as long as it doesn't last for 6 months. I love snow. And I love green. Sounds like New England, eh?

The trick is finding a place that has all of that, while still having a low enough cost of living for us to survive on my freelance work (I am an editor and author), or someplace where my wife and I can both work to supplement our income and provide health insurance. Raising kids, we can't really be without health insurance, and I don't want to depend on government aid.

Thanks for all your help, Jipsee. I really appreciate it.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I vaguely remember it, but I don't think I watched more than 5 minutes of it --- if that.

Very new. Never been there, in fact, though I do have family in southeast NH. I was born and raised in New Mexico, couldn't get out fast enough, and now live in Washington State between Tacoma and Seattle. Don't like it either. It costs too much to live here, traffic is terrible, crime is awful and getting worse, and I want snow in the winter.

I actually lived in Seattle for a few years, namely the U. District, West Seattle and lastly, Des Moines. I enjoyed living there but I can see where you're coming from. The traffic was bad when I was there (early 90's), and there was an increase in gang activity, most think it is spreading north from CA. There was an awful lot of car theft, my friend moved out there a year ago and already had her car stolen. If you move to central/northern NH, you will breathe a sigh of relief regarding crime. There are incidents, and the crime rate is increasing here as in other places, but in general, it is very safe to live here. I could probably leave my keys in my car every night without worry (though I don't), and I live off of a major road.

You like snow....are you a skier? Generally towns near the seacoast get less snow, more rain. Farther inland and north it's colder in the winter. As you go northwest toward the VT border the winters can be snowier and colder.

We're planning on making a trip to New England early next year to scope out places to live, and we're trying to narrow our list.

Please do so, that is a great idea. It will be tough, there are so many great places to live here (I'm biased) Our neighboring states of VT/ME offer a good quality of life too.

Basically we are wanting:

Affordable cost of living. We need somewhere where we can get a 4-6 bedroom house for no more than $200k. This rules out most of southern New England.

Yes, you are correct there. And I'm not sure what that could buy in central NH or up near Plymouth and environs. Real estate values are very high (and property taxes) in the lakes region, which is very resort-y. We have a lot of tourism here. Your best bet would be of course to do lots of research. I wonder if a relocation service could help you. I don't own my home, so I can't help with realtors, etc.

Low crime. We've got gangs here, our house has been burglarized, we've got prostitution on our neighborhood streets. I don't want my kids in this mess. I realize that no place is Utopia, but I want somewhere where I don't have to be afraid to let my kids play outside in their own neighborhood. If a house full of college kids wants to party up the street, that's fine. Just keep it inside and keep it quiet. What consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home is none of my business. But if it is invading my living space, it becomes my business, and I can get cranky about it.

See my comments above about crime.

Good schools. We have kids, and I want them to have a good education.

Would you be sending your kids to a public school, or private?

Four seasons. I don't mind a hot summer as long as it doesn't last for 6 months. I love snow. And I love green. Sounds like New England, eh?

This past summer was very hot and humid, but typically short. Fall here is my favorite season. We get about a month of humid weather (July), and then in mid-August it starts to moderate. Right now the weather is awesome, in the 70's during the day, 50-60 at night, kind of like Seattle in the summer. Winters are rather long, but if you enjoy the outdoors it will help. One thing we do here is appreciate our springtime. I love the White Mountains in the summer, very green and beautiful. Also, if you like green, VT is gorgeous and unspoiled.

The trick is finding a place that has all of that, while still having a low enough cost of living for us to survive on my freelance work (I am an editor and author), or someplace where my wife and I can both work to supplement our income and provide health insurance. Raising kids, we can't really be without health insurance, and I don't want to depend on government aid.

It is hard to find a place that provides everything you need. You don't want to make a mistake, but can't really know until you move. If you do your research well, you'll be well prepared to make a good decision. If you did move here and didn't care for it, there are other areas in NH you might like, or even neighboring states. Health insurance and affordable housing are tough issues for us all. Currently I'm paying for my own insurance (yikes) until I find a job.

Thanks for all your help, Jipsee. I really appreciate it.
No problem, I'm happy to help, and I hope my information helps in your decision making process.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:48 PM

I'm not sure what I did or didn't do with my previous replies, but all of my answers are in italics. I also got edited because my text was too long. Here's something I added:

Have you considered the Hanover area? It is also a college town, and it has a lot to offer. It is part of a larger geographical area called the Upper Valley. And it will definitely snow there - lots. Housing is expensive though. Check out their Chamber of Commerce at http://www.hanoverchamber.org/
Also check out this organization, Housing Solutions Plus of the Upper Valley: http://www.housingsolutionsplus.com/about.cfm (broken link)
They helped me find an apartment to rent and were very nice and helpful. There are some outlying areas of Hanover that may be more affordable, nice, quaint New England towns like in the New London area. If you don't have to deal with a commute, then you could probably pick any town and not have to worry about driving. Our roads though are clean and well-maintained in the winter. Is being close to a major town important to you?

Old 09-08-2006, 03:51 PM

Thanks, jipsee! We hadn't considered Hanover because of the high real estate and such, but I'll check out those links. Maybe they'll change my mind.

Quote:
Is being close to a major town important to you?
Nope. Not even a little. In fact, I want to get AWAY from major cities. I like "the sticks." Bangor, ME is probably the biggest town we are considering.

We would like to be fairly close to a college if we can, but we actually want to get away from the metro areas.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:23 PM

195 posts, read 1,078,377 times
Quote:
I saw your post hanging here all by itself. I went to Plymouth State College back in the 80's, and ended up living in the area for a few years after graduation. I loved living there. It is a small college town with a beautiful, mountainous setting. It's near NH's north country, but right off I-93 for convenience to anywhere else. It has a nice downtown, with a "village green", a bakery, book store and coffee shop. As is typical for a college town, it's kind of sleepy in the summer but busy during the months college is in session. The college (now Plymouth State University) dominates the town, as you drive through Main St. it is right up the hill.
It is a great place to live if you like the outdoors. There are lakes, rivers, mountains, all kinds of activities nearby. As far as the crime stats go, I haven't heard of it being especially crime-ridden, though I'm sure your assumption is correct, the college skews the stats somewhat. I have only heard that the town often clashes with the college over parties, vandalism, drinking, the sort of things you'd expect anywhere. In my day, PSC was much more of a party school, now it's cleaned up its act somewhat.
It sounds like the place for me ( well, maybe just in my dreams, at least right now, but I intend to visit New Hampshire as soon as possible, although that might be a few years). I love the pictures, and am glad to hear the reality is nice as well. By the way, what is the biggest town Plymouth is closest to? Plymouth is so perfect though, from all I have read, and those pictures. Sounds like Paradise.Also, any other info on this town would be appreciated, bad or good. I have only seen good though.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:28 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Default To Mark S

Hi,

I see in one of your posts that you are a "freelancer" - I think that would come under self-employed? If so, you can get insurance tailored to your needs and how much you want to spend through NASE (National Association for the Self-Employed). They have a rep in NH.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,864 times
the lakes region is filled with junkies. they just dont crowd the street like they do in the city. the more people that move here the more junkies there are

Old 12-22-2012, 05:54 AM

477 posts, read 899,609 times
I live just south of there and have since '95. It's a nice town but the college does dominate it. Property taxes are a bit higher than surrounding towns due to the college. I have no doubt that the college increases the general crime stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire