Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 11:34 PM

6,527 posts, read 6,676,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyrewolf31 View Post
Haha it's funny I've been a lurker here for a year or so and I always read posts like mine. However when I bring up NH to people locally here, they think it's somewhere east of Nova Scotia, just to the left of Katmandu. I'm yet to find another Los Angeleno in the flesh thinking about trekking your way.
Out of 40 million people in CA I'm sure most are not coming to northern New England. I suspect many folks from CA go up north to Oregon & Washington state. And from what I read a lot of CA people are in Arizona & in Vegas. It's a real shame what's happening to Californina, it's a beautiful state. I think states like Massachusetts, California, NY & Conn are not going to be able to pay off their pension debt.....and I don't blame you for trying to get out so your family will not be left paying the bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 12:44 PM

51 posts, read 58,205 times
Haha not for 2-3 years but I appreciate the hospitality

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmartian View Post
How soon can you get here?

Old 11-08-2010, 12:51 PM

Several of my wife's relatives have moved to Oregon, which I imagine has the same appeal that NH has for me. My family all lives in the NY metro area, so there is a lure of going back east after 15 years west of the Mississippi.

Even with 9.3% state income tax and 9.75% sales tax in LA (though my property tax is reasonably low - 1.25% of assessed value annually), these "welfare states" continue to slip closer and closer to the brink. Of course California's debt-to-GDP ratio is very low - under 15% last I heard. For the 7th biggest economy in the world, that's pretty incredible, when the US and the Western Europe are exponentially higher. However, unlike the US and the EU, California can't print money and manipulate monetary policy. That means all they can do to fix their ills is tax, tax and tax some more. That's a choice for their citizens, but one I don't want to be around for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Out of 40 million people in CA I'm sure most are not coming to northern New England. I suspect many folks from CA go up north to Oregon & Washington state. And from what I read a lot of CA people are in Arizona & in Vegas. It's a real shame what's happening to Californina, it's a beautiful state. I think states like Massachusetts, California, NY & Conn are not going to be able to pay off their pension debt.....and I don't blame you for trying to get out so your family will not be left paying the bills.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Several of my wife's relatives have moved to Oregon, which I imagine has the same appeal that NH has for me. My family all lives in the NY metro area, so there is a lure of going back east after 15 years west of the Mississippi.

Even with 9.3% state income tax and 9.75% sales tax in LA (though my property tax is reasonably low - 1.25% of assessed value annually), these "welfare states" continue to slip closer and closer to the brink. Of course California's debt-to-GDP ratio is very low - under 15% last I heard. For the 7th biggest economy in the world, that's pretty incredible, when the US and the Western Europe are exponentially higher. However, unlike the US and the EU, California can't print money and manipulate monetary policy. That means all they can do to fix their ills is tax, tax and tax some more. That's a choice for their citizens, but one I don't want to be around for.
I think your pick of NH is a good one. We are back on track here after the last several years of "troubles". Pick your town with care because property tax rates are very different from town to town.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
I think your pick of NH is a good one. We are back on track here after the last several years of "troubles". Pick your town with care because property tax rates are very different from town to town.
It looks like most of the town I've been eying are in the $20 range for property taxes, though Brookline is higher at $24. I'm paying around $14.50-15 now in LA. How much fluctuation do these rates typically see? I assume rates must be approved by town counsels?

Old 11-08-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
It looks like most of the town I've been eying are in the $20 range for property taxes, though Brookline is higher at $24. I'm paying around $14.50-15 now in LA. How much fluctuation do these rates typically see? I assume rates must be approved by town counsels?
The rates fluctuare according to the towns needs like new schools, police, or fire buildings. I think Brookline is building a new school. The towns do control their tax rates which is a good thing cause it keeps the taxing power close to the people. You would get a vote in your town on the budget at town meetings. There are several people out here who live in the area you are looking in that may be of some help.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:45 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,991,994 times
I think those are fairly stable. According to one of the Hollis residents (on here frequently), Hollis taxes actually went down somewhat. But yes: all 3 are a bit on the high side. Though.. Hollis & Amherst (don't know about Brookline) do have zoning laws preventing too many houses from springing up all at once taking over the place. They at least are supposed to do it piecemeal. I think Amherst has a 3acre minimum, Hollis I believe is 2 acres.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:15 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,049,925 times
Quote:
I assume rates must be approved by town counsels?
No, they are approved by you at a annual town meetings. In many towns during the town meeting you can get up and say your piece prior to the vote as well. The structure is usually this:
"The following is up for vote, it will have this impact on taxes, the town council supports/does not support it, the budget committee supports/does not support it" then people from the town can line up to say their piece (sometimes of value, sometimes not), and then it comes to a vote.

Some larger towns have switched to normal ballots; but I personally prefer the town meeting format. I may have been there until the next morning 2 nights in a row...but it was democracy in action and was fascinating.

A lot of people complain that on certain issues people will group together/encourage others to vote a certain way. That may be true- but if you are in opposition you can do the same...

Old 11-09-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
No, they are approved by you at a annual town meetings. In many towns during the town meeting you can get up and say your piece prior to the vote as well. The structure is usually this:
"The following is up for vote, it will have this impact on taxes, the town council supports/does not support it, the budget committee supports/does not support it" then people from the town can line up to say their piece (sometimes of value, sometimes not), and then it comes to a vote.

Some larger towns have switched to normal ballots; but I personally prefer the town meeting format. I may have been there until the next morning 2 nights in a row...but it was democracy in action and was fascinating.

A lot of people complain that on certain issues people will group together/encourage others to vote a certain way. That may be true- but if you are in opposition you can do the same...
To a person like me living in a county of 20 million people, the idea of being able to speak my mind on property taxes is straight out of a movie. Somehow I picture Jimmy Stewart being there with me.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:59 PM

264 posts, read 614,857 times
One of the criteria my family used when we decided to get out of California was to find a state that had all we were looking for and was also a place Californians were NOT going. New England was an easy place to start.

When we leave California for our new home in NH someday, we plan on LEAVING California at the border. I don't want anything to resemble the state of California.

Those states where Californians are flocking too, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Arizona etc are examples of states that are suffering under the weight of the California mindset and those boards are full of locals that detest ex-Californians. Just look at whats happened to Colorado in the last 10 years because of the California exodus to that state.

Now is a good time to move...good luck back there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire