Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2007, 06:35 AM

25 posts, read 190,075 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Portsmouth in December from the island of Guam. We have absolutely no winter clothes and have never lived in a state quite as cold as New Hampshire. The coldest state we've ever lived in is Washington state.

Need advice on basic winter wear and shoes - brands would be good. I'm needing information on basic stuff like thermal wear and other must-haves to endure the cold.

Thanks,
Gen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 07:35 AM

57 posts, read 244,884 times
Well can't tell you brands specifically but you will need coats, and boots and hats and gloves and scarfs, sweaters. More than one of each cuz it snows and everything gets wet especially hats and gloves. You may also want some heavy wool socks and thernal underwear. LL Bean you can shop online or even Wal-Mart will have these things but probably not until next month, they bring out the winter stuff in August here.

I am not sure how cold Washington State gets so I can't really compare it for you but it gets cold and stays cold in New Hampshire. probably around 20's for the most of the winter if it is a mild winter. If it is a cold winter it gets below 0

Also snowpants. If you have kids they need snow pants, boots ect for school, everyday. They wear their boots and snow gear to school then they have to change into sneakers when they get there so they would need extra sneakers also. Also, in the winter it gets very dark. The sun is gone by 4 in the afternnoon and doesn't come back until about 7 the next morning.

Cold and dark pretty much sums up the Winters in New Hampshire. Good luck

Old 07-23-2007, 11:37 AM

6 posts, read 19,339 times
Hi,
Maybe I'm just really warm blooded, but I've lived in Portsmouth, NH all my life and I don't think it's that bad in the winter! Maybe low teens if it's REALLY cold, but the usual "dead of winter" is 20's, 30's. So nothing to freak out over. I'd just say have long pants, a coat and some layering things. Layers are key because it gets warmer during the afternoon. Snow-wise, we only get a couple of big storms a year, usually. The rest of the time it's smaller squalls and such.
Up north---now that's a different story!
We are just north of Boston, so it's not so cold~
Kim

Old 07-26-2007, 12:06 AM

Thanks for the information. I guess coming from a tropical island, it seems a lot worse than it really is. It will be a huge adjustment adapting to temps in the teens when you're used to 90 degree weather year round.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:44 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,016,311 times
If coming from a tropical Island at nearly mid Pacific with trade winds you are going to be in for a shock.

I would go on line to the sites of L.L Bean and Eddie Bauer- and begin to purchase cool-cold weather clothing. Its not that the weather here is that cold-like Michigan, or Minnesota, but you will certainly feel the difference.

You should buy long pants, for men and women, wool skirts for ladies, sweaters, long sleeve shirts, and light to medium winter jackets. Layering here is the best way to go- buying overly heavy winter gear is not the way to go. Since there are few days you really need a mega heavy coat; ultra cold days are few. Hats and gloves also. Heavier winter shoes- ah- no sandals please! Boots- like Beans 'duck shoes', trench coats etc. Some water proof things in jackets are very helpful.
An umbrella is useful as well. For dress a lightweight wool dress coat or lined trench coat is best.

Good luck!

Last edited by skytrekker; 07-29-2007 at 04:56 PM..

Old 07-26-2007, 07:23 PM

Great information. Thank you so very much! We're not looking forward to the move only because it'll be in December. The Navy tends to be inconsiderate that way.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:57 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,016,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On Fire For God View Post
Great information. Thank you so very much! We're not looking forward to the move only because it'll be in December. The Navy tends to be inconsiderate that way.
Good luck- hopefully winter begins late here this December!

Old 10-31-2012, 07:07 AM

13 posts, read 27,357 times
I would be a little cautious buying a bunch of winter gear before winter hits. We moved up from the south, bought snow pants, winter boots, and other cold weather gear. We rarely wear the winter boots, they were a bit overkill. We found we needed more everyday wear than "ski gear" so to speak. We spent money we didn't need to and also realized what we did need that we didn't have once winter hit. It's good to plan but one weekend out shopping and you'll have everything so pick up a warm coat with a hood, down is the best in my opinion and save the rest once winter hits.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:37 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,954,062 times
2007 thread...... if they made it they must have died of cold damp.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: