Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2007, 10:12 PM

10 posts, read 37,469 times

Advertisements

Moving to be near children and Gkids. Chose New London because I can walk from home to town (I am nearly blind) and hope to enjoy the freedom of not having to rely on people to haul me around. I can see enough to help manage Porsche forums on the internet and do some digital photo and editing w/photoshop.

Question: Since I come from Cape Cod and Seattle, WA before that (both beautiful areas) how does New London stack up visually, economically, etc. We are snowbirds in winter (Naples, FL) primarily because I can't walk well on snow.

Looking for a good independent foreign car repair shop in the area as well as photography classes. I can't drive anymore 'caue of the eyesight problem

So, what are the positives and negatives about NH v MA ...specifically New London?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 10:17 PM

Oops...missed this question. What is the best:

Phone system
Cable TV
Internet Connection

in New London
TIA

Old 04-29-2007, 06:09 AM

46 posts, read 114,311 times
I live in Sutton right next door and we have TDS Telecom for all those things except Cable (we do not have it out here) so we have Dishnetwork. But I am sure New London has cable. I am guessing its TDS for TV, phone, and DSL there too. They are a very friendly company.
I know they have classes at Kearsarge Regional HS and I have seen photography classes, cooking, languages etc for adults throughout the year. Its a regional school and its in Sutton.
I think this area is kind of expensive to live in. I know the real estate taxes are less in New London per thousand than where I live but the home values may be more.
You will be able to take alot of great photos of Mt. Kearsarge, there area lot of lakes, covered bridges etc.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:06 AM

20 posts, read 65,861 times
You are looking for photography classes, any would be at the high school and thus in another town. Unless possibly they had classes at Colby Sawyer you could take. Not sure if they allow auditors etc. You will have no choices with cable, phone or DSL internet. You get what company services your area. I do believe all 3 are TDS in New London. Verizon is sort of in the area but not sure they are on that side of the lake. I go to Concord for foreign car service. Visually New London is beautiful. Taxes are property taxes and not too bad in New London comparatively.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:32 AM

Very helpful...thanks all.
Don

Old 07-07-2007, 11:07 PM

86 posts, read 367,249 times
Here is a link to a thread from someone else who wanted to move from the Cape to New London:

New London area anyone?

New London scenery is spectacular for photography. Sunset at the lake beaches are breathtaking.

If you need a ride, the local Council on Aging (COA) Senior Center offers free rides by volunteers. With about a day's notice, you can get from Concord to Lebanon.

What is causing your vision loss?

Colby-Sawyer College has adult classes usually attended and taught by senior citizens. This is a great area for retirees. Very high percentage of New Londoners do as you do - summer in New London and winter in Florida - you'll fit right in.

Comparing New London to the Cape: New London is lakeside, Cape has the ocean; Cape has traffic, New London has none; Cape has nightlife; New London has none; both welcome tourists during the summer; New London is way more rural than the Cape; New London's summer lasts about 6 weeks, Cape's is longer; New London's air is dry, Cape's air is humid; teenagers don't hang out in New London as they do on the Cape...

Except for the Cape, Massachusetts and New Hampshire are generally speaking, not comparable. New Hampshire is rural, Massachusetts is cities and suburbs. One is Democratic and the other is Republican/Libertarian.

Comcast for high speed internet service and cable television. Comcast was voted the worst company for Customer Service by Washingtonians in the July, 2007 issue of Washingtonian Magazine. I concur. Lots of people in the New London area choose satellite service instead.

As far as walking to town, you really need to be on Main Street/Newport Road in New London because those are the only streets that have sidewalks. New Hampshire residents don't like sidewalks because pedestrians crossing the street interfere with vehicular traffic.

The downside of your moving to New London from the Cape would possibly be the lack of activity, but since you are only going to be in New London for the summer, and you have grandchildren, you probably will be kept stimulated for the short time you are here.

New London is the best town for you based on your posting. The local supermarket was purchased by a new owner a couple of years ago, and the old owner used to deliver groceries within New London once a week. Don't know if the current owners, Hannaford Brothers, does, but perhaps. There are no other food deliveries in the area. (i. e. pizza guy doesn't deliver!)

I am originally from New York City, and the downside for me living in the area is the dependence on the automobile and the closing of the town at 5:00 pm.

I usually take the ferry to P'town once each summer, and it seems that prices are lower there than in New London, but I am only purchasing crafts and tshirts and tourist stuff and a quick bite to eat.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:13 PM

951 posts, read 1,655,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doncapecod View Post
We are snowbirds in winter (Naples, FL) primarily because I can't walk well on snow.
Be glad for that, as New London gets a lot of snow. It's elevation is higher than the surrounding area, so it seems to just get more.

I was the one that "New Hampshire" was refering too in another post. I've decide that it is too far away from the things my family wants and especially the job commute. If my kids were older and I was ready to retire, I would definately think about New London again. It's a beautiful place. I spent four days up there last fall and it broke my heart to make the decision to look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire