Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 06:31 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times

Advertisements

So I'm thinking about moving back up north, I'm from MA but since I've had a taste of freedom living here in VA, I'm thinking NH, If I'm a NH resident but work in MA how does income tax work? Do I just pay MA income like I live there, or nothing since I'd be a NH resident?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 06:57 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,635 times
This question has been asked several times. If you want immediate answers, simply do a search on the word "tax" in this specific forum. Good luck!

Old 12-12-2010, 07:02 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
You file as a non-resident. If you have days that you are working, but are not actually in the state of MA (business travel, working from home), you can prorate the tax...

Old 12-12-2010, 10:19 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
It would be nice if NH residents could work in MA and pay no income taxes, but that's not how it works. MA state taxes will be deducted from your check each pay period, and come tax prep time, you'll be filling out a MA NON-RESIDENT FORM. The good news is that you don't pay taxes on days that you don't work in the state of MA (working from home, vacation, holiday and sick paid days, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
So I'm thinking about moving back up north, I'm from MA but since I've had a taste of freedom living here in VA, I'm thinking NH, If I'm a NH resident but work in MA how does income tax work? Do I just pay MA income like I live there, or nothing since I'd be a NH resident?

Old 12-13-2010, 06:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
New Hampshire does have an income tax on dividends, interest and lottery winnings. It has sales taxes on hotel expenses, restaurant and hospital meals and tobacco. It also has a monopoly on hard booze sales.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:29 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
If you work in NH and live in MA, you pay the income tax as well.. MA gets you coming and going...

Old 12-16-2010, 06:17 PM

40 posts, read 128,616 times
There is one way where you can move to NH and not pay MA taxes and that is to incorporate yourself as an LLC or S-Corp--assuming the type of work you do would allow such an arrangement, such as consulting. You can do all the business you want to in MA as a company but not pay MA income taxes.

NH's business climate is very friendly towards small businesses and combined with many entrepreneurs fleeing MA taxes is why NH is a small business dynamo.

However, unless you're familiar with the incorporation process, it's always best to consult with a professional first. While you do avoid tax costs, there is a price to pay in tax compliance issues--there no such thing as a free lunch

Old 12-17-2010, 10:02 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NrthernNewEnglandVillages View Post
--there no such thing as a free lunch
That's for sure.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:30 AM

69 posts, read 184,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
It would be nice if NH residents could work in MA and pay no income taxes, but that's not how it works. MA state taxes will be deducted from your check each pay period, and come tax prep time, you'll be filling out a MA NON-RESIDENT FORM. The good news is that you don't pay taxes on days that you don't work in the state of MA (working from home, vacation, holiday and sick paid days, etc).
I'm very interested in this situation since it will be the one I'm in when we move to NH. I plan to work from home and go to MA once a week at most. My company will give me a W-2 form from MA.

My questions are:
How will I figure out what amount of MA income tax I owe?
How do I prove I work at home in NH?
Will my employer be adversely affected in any way if I work from home? (tax wise)
Should I hire a tax professional to help me with these questions? Other resources?

I need to educate myself about this and be prepared to address any concerns my employer may have.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:05 AM

69 posts, read 184,109 times
I think I answered my own question.
According to MA tax law, I must pay full MA income tax even if I mostly work from home in NH. They have this exception called the Ancillary Activity Test (AAT), but it seems to be for people who are not working for a MA company.

More info:
Nonresidents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire