Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 07:12 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,298 times

Advertisements

Last night we had a roast in the crockpot. You cut up 2 onions in thick rounds, put the roast on top, then put in 1/2 cup tomato sauce, 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar, and 1/2 cup beef stock that has been reduced to 1/4 cup. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. It's really good and really easy.

I think the boys are having ravioli tonight while I work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 07:16 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,298 times
Poutine - they sell it in nashua at Bellagios off exit 6...pretty sure the owners are from Canada.

Cottage pie is the correct name when made with beef...shepherds pie when made with lamb....just catching up

Old 12-23-2010, 10:29 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Dumb question here. What is stacked "yankee"?
LOL it's a macism

What it means to me is a certain way to stack cord wood to measure how much there is in real full cords of wood, and to make it shed rain water or melting snow with no cover, shed, posts, construction etc etc.

This is done on 2 level logs or pallets. I prefer the logs or pallets to be 16 feet long or longer always dividable by 8.

2 pallets is close enough to be 8 feet long, so 16 is double, and so 32 works.

Then on a 16 fool long section of pallets cord wood is stacked criss crossed, always with the bark up, and built solid which holds the rest of the wood from falling over. A pallet set up to be 16 feet long holds 2 cords in 2 full rows 4 feet high.

My stacks are 4'6" because i cut wood 22 inches long and never bothered to figure out how much loss there is in 2 inch pieces, but that 6" taller has to add up to more than the the 2 " pices combined.

The bark up sheds water from bark to bark and allows the wood to air dry in the weather.

Other places make a bee hive pile, but that isn't the way it is here, since we'er yankee. And other places just make a 52 stick mess.

When I was down south I heard a term called ricks, but I never did get that idea understood. I also heard 'face cord', which turned out to be a part of a cord. I can't say I understand the meaning of that well either, but I was left with the idea it was like my 22 inch cut wood stacked 8 feet long, and 4 feet high, for 2 rows, which could varry from 16 inch cuts to 22 inch, with no effort to replace the missing wood, mainly to feed a short wood stove, or kitchen wood stove that will not take long logs.

On that, the stove the wood i cut for is 27 inches max inside. I won't cut wood at 26 inches for that since it is possible to get wood stuck, and I have. I have been stuck with wood that will not go in and will not pull back out for a while, and that lets smoke get in the building, and is a tad risky. IMO even 24 inch logs is a little to risky, so my error is up to 23.5 inch by the method I cut.

I'll get a picture of a yankee stack

Me: I tawk funny and you all know it. I won't cut today since I am lame. But I won't be tomorrow. I'l go move metal or something instead. Got a 1 foot sander drum off the Bismark rusted bull tight to a shaft that must come apart pretty soon. What a mess that machine is. The Bismark to me is a 1 ton belt sander machine made to grind glass. A water chlorine flush runs all the time the machine is on and that mix eats carbon steel, so when I say rust I really mean it. This thing looks like it sat in the English Channel 65 years.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:00 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
Yup, I just decided. Tonight's dinner is pâté chinois. I'll take out a bag of frozen creamed corn that I made last summer.
Thanks for the tip on poutine at Bellagios, we'll definitely try that while the kids are on vacation next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
Poutine - they sell it in nashua at Bellagios off exit 6...pretty sure the owners are from Canada.

Cottage pie is the correct name when made with beef...shepherds pie when made with lamb....just catching up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire