Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2010, 08:40 AM

607 posts, read 2,367,642 times

Advertisements

Just curious, how would you describe this town. If it was a town worth considering relocating to, what would you need to know? Climate, population, proximity to hospitals, shopping. Property values. Would you buy here, yes or no? Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 02:35 PM

107 posts, read 204,230 times
There is some local shopping but you'd have to drive to the Portsmouth area for malls and major stores. Downtown is cute; specialty shops are fun to see but can be expensive. I don't know about real estate but I think taxes are high. Hampton Beach isn't far. There is a nice hospital in Exeter. I don't know anything about the schools. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. There is a lot of traffic that travels right through the main part of town.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:46 PM

48,115 posts, read 21,994,714 times
I just read the same question about Exeter Maine in that forum.....Exeter Maine was named for Exeter NH.....hence the confusion perhaps.

There are several duplicate towns in Maine......I live in Gorham which also has its NH counterpart.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:56 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,000 times
If you have a huge income that will continue to go up every year, love paying property taxes and getting nothing other than expensive schools, Exeter is an okay place to live. But don't expect them to keep the property taxes at simply obscene levels. I'm now paying over $13,600 for a nothing-special regular house with no pool or land or anything else special, and I have no doubt the tax bill will be hitting $20,000 in 5 years or so. Our Town Officials seem to think we are all rich, and will all get huge raises every year that they of course should appropriate a big part of. Too bad our incomes have dropped significantly over the last 5 years.

Why our Town Leaders are taxing us out of our houses, I don't understand. Except that politicians at all levels now seem to be insatiable in their need to take everything we have and give it to their friends and relatives' businesses. In the past, these local officials would have been afraid to walk around town after forcing so many out of the homes they've spent their lives paying for.

Too bad they can do anything they want to us, including wiping out a lifetime of savings, and we'll just lie down and take it. If the Founding Fathers saw us today they'd say we deserved to lose everything to those who stole it all.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:44 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
If you have a huge income that will continue to go up every year, love paying property taxes and getting nothing other than expensive schools, Exeter is an okay place to live. But don't expect them to keep the property taxes at simply obscene levels. I'm now paying over $13,600 for a nothing-special regular house with no pool or land or anything else special, and I have no doubt the tax bill will be hitting $20,000 in 5 years or so. Our Town Officials seem to think we are all rich, and will all get huge raises every year that they of course should appropriate a big part of. Too bad our incomes have dropped significantly over the last 5 years.

Why our Town Leaders are taxing us out of our houses, I don't understand. Except that politicians at all levels now seem to be insatiable in their need to take everything we have and give it to their friends and relatives' businesses. In the past, these local officials would have been afraid to walk around town after forcing so many out of the homes they've spent their lives paying for.

Too bad they can do anything they want to us, including wiping out a lifetime of savings, and we'll just lie down and take it. If the Founding Fathers saw us today they'd say we deserved to lose everything to those who stole it all.
This is why I think Exeter is overrated. I'm not sure why someone would voluntarily move to the place and pay that kind of $$ for cute expensive specialty shops in a quaint downtown and proximity to Boston. NHArtphotog, I hope you can eventually escape to somewhere with a more sane tax burden. Too rich for my blood....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire