Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 02:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,461 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently live in Lincoln, Ne. and I am thinking of relocating to NH. I've done some research on the internet(although I have not found a lot of consistant information).

I was looking for a city/town with low crime and low cost of living. So far, I have found Concord to be the best bet.

Any comments or better suggestions.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 07:30 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
concord is nice - it's the state capitol and has decent shopping. It's not the biggest 'city' in NH (Manchester) but it's not far away from it. Pretty much all towns in NH are low crime. you'll find the most crime in the bigger cities (Manchester, Nashua..) but even by the stats of similar cities in other states, they are fairly low crime. Have you checked out the property taxes in Concord yet? that's what a lot of people look at when examining a town.

Main thing would be: where will you be working. that will have greater impact on towns in the area. Even a town relatively close in distance might be a bad commute. At least you don't have to worry about acclimating to winter: I have friends in NE and I know you KNOW about snow!

Old 12-30-2010, 07:08 PM

24 posts, read 39,598 times
I am also from NE looking to relocate to NH sometime next year. I've done a ton of research and I think I have narrowed it down to the seacoast region. I did visit Wolfeboro last year in October and really liked the town. It would have been a good fit but I'd like to be closer to the ocean. Let me know if you want to bounce ideas. Good luck.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:44 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisces71 View Post
Hello,

I currently live in Lincoln, Ne. and I am thinking of relocating to NH. I've done some research on the internet(although I have not found a lot of consistant information).

I was looking for a city/town with low crime and low cost of living. So far, I have found Concord to be the best bet.

Any comments or better suggestions.

Thanks,
No, Concord does not have a low cost of living at all. If you research on this website it is rated as 120+ with 100 being the national average. If you are a middle income earner on down, housing and rent costs will be pretty spendy.

If you want a low cost of living, move to a rural town and rent or buy a SMALL house.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summitt View Post
I am also from NE looking to relocate to NH sometime next year. I've done a ton of research and I think I have narrowed it down to the seacoast region. I did visit Wolfeboro last year in October and really liked the town. It would have been a good fit but I'd like to be closer to the ocean. Let me know if you want to bounce ideas. Good luck.
Wakefield area is more convenient to the coast and is right along highway 16. Property taxes are low, $10/1,000. What type of employment are you looking for? I hear ya regarding leaving the Plains. I would never live in MO or KS again either...

Old 12-31-2010, 11:48 AM

477 posts, read 899,609 times
I don't know about NE but cost of living is a bit high here in this state, spiking in certain areas, Still, though, it is cheaper than many other northeastern states. Plus we have the mountains, a little seashore, pretty decent road systems, etc. If you like nature, you will like NH. Though we may have to introduce you to these things we have all over the state. Their called trees.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:06 PM

24 posts, read 39,598 times
NHForester, I,m glad you brought up trees as that is my business. I am an arborist wanting to attend UNH to get a degree in forestry. From your name it looks like we have the same interests.

GraniteStater,
How are the schools in Wakefield? I have 4 young cubs and school would have to be my top priority. Employment wise I would like to stay within the arbor industry.

Thanks in advance,

Old 12-31-2010, 12:29 PM

477 posts, read 899,609 times
Well now, right up my alley, Summitt.

Yes, I am a licensed forester with a degree from UNH. Also took a couple of arboriculture classes while I was there. I'll stick to the earthbound end of tree, if you know what I mean.

UNH has a pretty decent program. If you are going to stay in the arborist game, might I suggest a 2 year degree from the Thompson School of Applied Science. It is part of UNH and shares a campus, sort of. Much more hands on than the 4 year degree and if you are staying in arboriculture, you may not need or want the 4 year degree. The teachers at the T School are fantastic.

PM me any questions you have about forestry in the state, etc and I would be happy to help. If you make it here, be sure to let me know.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summitt View Post
NHForester, I,m glad you brought up trees as that is my business. I am an arborist wanting to attend UNH to get a degree in forestry. From your name it looks like we have the same interests.

GraniteStater,
How are the schools in Wakefield? I have 4 young cubs and school would have to be my top priority. Employment wise I would like to stay within the arbor industry.

Thanks in advance,
I don't know as much about schools in Wakefield. If you like the Lakes Region, the towns that comprise the Governor Wentworth regional district include: Wolfeboro, Brookfield, Ossipee, New Durham, and Tuftonboro. All towns are in Carroll County with the exception of New Durham. It is a well regarded district and funded well by all the very wealthy taxpayers along Lake Winnipesaukee who pay $$$$ to the town coffers.
With respect to forestry, a certified forester in rural NH will always be in demand as you have a very DISPERSED population in rural areas. Many properties are on large lots with multiple woodlots, conserved lands. Property Tax breaks on large properties are due to the current use land policy. This is more beneficial for those that own property in lower tax towns, but also acts as an economic incentive to prevent land subdivision.

Also, choose a town in a good district with a low tax rate. Property tax differentials between towns in NH ARE ENORMOUS. I cannot stress this enough. The smaller sqft houses that are appraised for less will have lower tax rates. The larger sqft houses will have much higher taxes- particularly in higher tax towns. Rent costs are very high in NH as well. Renting a house might be a good option before delving into the market if you think NH might be a good permanent residence.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 12-31-2010 at 03:51 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 01:00 AM

22 posts, read 70,366 times
Bad thing is rent is VERY EXPENSIVE....in NH.

We will be renting when we move to Southern NH until we buy a house..... and our rent will be around $2K + per month for a decent 3 bedroom house. Luckily that is what our Mortgage is so we are use to paying that. But if you are from NE, that may be a shocker. Apartment rentals may be cheaper though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire