Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does radon pose a real health risk?
No, means nothing. 0 0%
Yes, should be watched. 3 75.00%
Do something immediate! 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 11:44 AM

8 posts, read 71,602 times

Advertisements

Radon, Radon, Radon. What do the numbers mean? Every state has different numbers. We are looking into various radon elimination systems for water and air. We have 3 young kids and don't want them or ourselves to have health problems later. Our tests came back high (9,870 pCi/l for water, and 8.5 pCi/l for air), we are looking for feedback on systems and originial installation and maintenance costs. Does anyone know if we need to seal the concrete basement walls and floors along with air moving system drilled into the floor or what? With water systems, is bubble-up better than activated charcoal? I am leaning toward a bubble-up system but wondering about pros/cons. Also, what are peoples experences with contractors? Any recommendations in the Lakes Region? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2006, 12:43 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,518,860 times
Oh...Radon. I think much of New Hampshire is in for the rude awakening maybe sooner rather than later.
The EPA limit is 4000pCi/l we looked at a house in Campton
and the level was 5300.The tester recomended the AC system,
stating the AC systemis a resonable treatment method for radon in water for concentrations around 5K and cost $1400-2K
Radon seems to be a huge problem in the Granite State.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:47 AM

914 posts, read 2,917,850 times
I've heard of radon, but don't know what it is? Is that like carbon monoxide poisoning, or is that a different problem Easterners have? Is it something naturally occuring in the soil - we have aesbestos here in Northern CA that is just in the soil, and people just have to live with it (or on top of it) as there is no way to remove it. And if it is dangerous, why isn't there more talk about it?

Old 11-28-2006, 10:48 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
I've heard of radon, but don't know what it is? Is that like carbon monoxide poisoning, or is that a different problem Easterners have? Is it something naturally occuring in the soil - we have aesbestos here in Northern CA that is just in the soil, and people just have to live with it (or on top of it) as there is no way to remove it. And if it is dangerous, why isn't there more talk about it?
The main problem is it is a gas. In the old days, when house is not air tight, it is not a problem as it is mixed with fresh air. However, modern building with finish basement is a problem as you will stay in the air tight basement for long periods of time breathing in the gas causing lung cancer. This is especially a problem during winter months when all door and windows are closed.

There are several proven methods to reduce radon in your home, but the one primarily used is a vent pipe system and fan, which pulls radon from beneath the house and vents it to the outside. This system, known as a soil suction radon reduction system, does not require major changes to your home. Sealing foundation cracks and other openings makes this kind of system more effective and cost-efficient. Similar systems can also be installed in houses with crawl spaces. Radon contractors can use other methods that may also work in your home. The right system depends on the design of your home and other factors.

See description from EPA below.
[url]www.epa.gov/radon/pubs/citguide.html[url]

Radon is a cancer-causing, radioactive gas.

You can't see radon. And you can't smell it or taste it. But it may be a problem in your home.

Radon is estimated to cause many thousands of deaths each year. That's because when you breathe air containing radon, you can get lung cancer. In fact, the Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States today. Only smoking causes more lung cancer deaths. If you smoke and your home has high radon levels, your risk of lung cancer is especially high.

Radon can be found all over the U.S.

Radon comes from the natural (radioactive) breakdown of uranium in soil, rock and water and gets into the air you breathe. Radon can be found all over the U.S. It can get into any type of building - homes, offices, and schools - and result in a high indoor radon level. But you and your family are most likely to get your greatest exposure at home, where you spend most of your time.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:52 PM

Default What do the numbers really mean?

As I posted before, I was told my numbers for radon were high by New Hampshire standards, but other states have different numbers for highs and low exposure numbers. Is New Hampshire being to conservative about exposure numbers or are people in general putting thier heads in the sand? Can anyone give me an idea of the costs for air mitigation systems and for water systems?

Old 12-05-2006, 09:58 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
As I posted before, I was told my numbers for radon were high by New Hampshire standards, but other states have different numbers for highs and low exposure numbers. Is New Hampshire being to conservative about exposure numbers or are people in general putting thier heads in the sand? Can anyone give me an idea of the costs for air mitigation systems and for water systems?
Not an expert. Hence, cannot answer your risk. For a few hundred $$, I decided to NOT take the risk of not having it.

As to cost, my air mitigation system is ~$600. Basically, drill a hole in the concrete in the basement, pcv pipe it through a fan and move the air outside of the house. Material is $100-200. The rest is all labor cost. How you want to vent the air out makes a big difference. (ie do you need to snake it through walls in the middle of the house).

Do not have any idea about cost of water system.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 15,868 times
A radon air purifier is about $1000. Radon h2o mitigation system is $3600 or more. I'm in the process of buying a house with radon issues. Your probably wondering why i would consider it. The previous original owners are 88 years old and raised 10 kids out of this house. To my knowlege they are all fine. As you know its the granite state, we have radon. The owners had a radon air filter installed so that red flagged me to do a water test for $50. It came back high and we are splitting the cost to install a h20 mitigation system gauranteed to drop the level below 2000pci. To my knowledge the epa doesn't really have hard facts or regulations on private wells(which i have)Unfortunately you'll die of something and i'll take my chances, its a great area.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:21 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
Radon, Radon, Radon. What do the numbers mean? Every state has different numbers.

<sigh> I know I'm in the minority, but I can't help feeling that the whole radon thing is a scam. Figure: it's odorless, colorless (so how do you know it's there?), the only people who profit are the radon testers and contractors who ventilate for you. And the numbers they tend to claim would make one's house worse than a uranium mine?

My father bought two boxes, placed one in his basement and one in his car. Funny, both results came back high. We bought one (in MD) and left it on our back porch... we never even got our test results!

Personally, I've noticed this country/culture likes to be scared by things, especially things we can see.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:02 PM

37 posts, read 156,572 times
There are no Federal standards for Radon...hence the different State acceptable levels.
Taking care of it in the water reduces it in the air since the water releases it into the air.
If you are a smoker your risk is higher
It's a natural occurance....get LOTS of estimates!!

Last edited by NeverTooLate; 02-07-2007 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: italicks didn't work!!

Old 02-09-2007, 06:48 AM

Default Scam or no scam, radon does kill

I have been getting estimates and they are all over the place. Some of these companies are just trying to scare people and are just after trying to make as much money as possible off the fear. I do believe radon will kill you in the long run. (Getting hit by a bus will also!) Yes, life is a risk but why push your luck. I have to think of my family and I know my own family history of cancer, why push my, and their, luck. I personaly don't feel it is government's responsiblity to force people to place systems, like radon mitagation systems, but it is their responsibility to let people know of the risks and let them make the decision themselves. I don't want to be known as a Granitehead because I have my head in the ground by ignoring the problem. I have found the state publishes a list of certified radon mitigators, but there are other vultures out there. Please let me know of any personal experiences anyone has had.

Thanks

I still have not found any contractors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire