U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 08:31 AM

197 posts, read 290,485 times

Advertisements

There is an interesting verbal history of berlin currently airing on nhptv

the link is below, the program shows a time when berlin was booming and follows the families that have chosen to stay

AT THE RIVER′S EDGE: AN ORAL HISTORY OF BERLIN NH | | Episode Details | NHPTV Schedule
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 09:07 AM

19,023 posts, read 23,582,536 times
I have no idea I was around 5 years old. It wasn't just that one river there were many in Maine. Vt and NH, probably other states but i didn't drive when I was 5.

At some point in the 80's, based on I recall I was living with my x and son I had a paper book with pics.. Where tat book is I have no idea.

I ran a google search in hopes, but failed, and need to get to the bank and dump before both close.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:11 AM

88 posts, read 179,913 times
My high school was in the same basketball and volleyball divisions as Berlin, and trekking up there for games was always a miserable affair. Bad roads, smelly atmosphere, and thoroughly depressed looking town. And that was six-ten years ago!

Old 01-15-2011, 06:31 PM

Are you from Gorham / Randolf?

Old 01-15-2011, 07:04 PM

Nope. I went to HS in Amherst. It was a heckuva trek up to Berlin.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:25 PM

i misunderstood...

Old 01-21-2011, 05:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,213 times
Smile Berlin is beautiful and affordable

I moved my business up here 5 years ago, and relocated myself 2 years ago from Durham. Where else can you buy a 9 bedroom house for under $50,000? and the 3 bedroom victorian that I live in has and amazing view of Mt Washington, an attached garage, and a gorgeous living room and fireplace -- all for under $30K. It's walking distance to the schools. Every day I walk to work and pinch myself because I'm lucky enough to live in a place where the sky is clear, the mighty Androscoggin keeps me company, and the people are wonderful. I've found the work force to be hard working and dedicated and loyal unlike the prima-donnas I had to deal with on the Seacoast. The political environment is a bit odd --- a bunch of nutcases run the city and the county, but in general, it's a delightful place to live. It is definitely a slower pace of life, and there's a lot more religion in daily life than you see elsewhere. The prison is NOT the only industry. There are a number of small entrepreneurs who have moved up to take advantage of the low labor and housing costs, and wifi is readily available. The biggest problem is that there is an old mill-town mentality that keeps people waiting for another big manufacturing plant to come back in and save people. Not going to happen, but there's plenty of stuff happening. Check out the activities of WREN, the Womens Rural Entrepreneurial Network..

Old 01-21-2011, 09:05 AM

That's interesting. You made it work, adapting what it IS to work for you. The air is a lot cleaner now, no doubt, but I would test soils if you grow a garden for foods first.

The river runs cleaner too, but that bottom has gotta be scarey. Some chemicals can sleep a long time buried in the mud.

Be nice to make that town turn around, but safely.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:37 AM

I almost didn't believe the housing prices that you described, so I looked it up... A 2 bedroom HOUSE for 19,000? My word. I'm not sure I'd be willing to sacrifice the potential health and sanity risks of living there, though.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:58 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,751,998 times
Check out the sex offenders that live in that town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire