U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
My mother is from Berlin, and frankly, I have never seen anything scary or slum like in Berlin. It doesn't smell like rotten eggs anymore since they closed the paper mills, but it isn't bad at all. I am from NY state. Lived everywhere inbetween and all the way to the west coast. California to be exact. If Berlin scares anyone, you better never live in some of the places I've lived. I do feel bad, because a few years back some arsonist burnt down a small stretch of downtown. They did eventually catch him. But it's not like you guys are living with drive-bys and stabbings, etc, etc on a daily or weekly basis..There's not a place in Berlin that would scare me. Seems more like Mayberry. For those of you who think it is so bad, you must come from Mayberry. Berlin's a small city (11,000) that has fallen on hard times. But "scary"/ "slummy/ etc are not words I would ever use to describe Berlin. Boring-yes. Ghetto/ slummy-hel l no! God if they had one murder, you would probably hear about it for years. I guess it depends on where and what you come from. I've lived in cities that would get 1 to 2 murders a day...Berlin is at the other end of the spectrum..Half of my family that I don't ever get to see lives in Berlin. I lived in Berlin when I was two, so I am told. My family owns Santas village. I'm sure most of you know where and what that is. My mother and her cousins all worked there as a kid. I think it's neat that Berlin is one of the few towns that years ago taught their kids in both french and english..Just thought I would throw in that extra..
Hello from Oregon! I know your post is several years out, but I was wondering if your family still owns Santa's Village?
My mother was from Berlin, NH. So I have fond memories of going to visit her family that remained there. Of course we stopped at Santa's Village along the way! I still have family there, and see them from time to time. So I was reading your forum about the condition of life now in Berlin. We will be visiting there this coming summer. Hoping to stop again at Santa's Village!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 09:10 AM

41,478 posts, read 54,269,255 times
I will have to ride up to Berlin this spring or summer and check the place out.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:54 PM

20 posts, read 24,536 times
I know this thread is pretty old but was wondering what the views are on Berlin now after a few years have passed? Im looking to relocate. See 6 months ago I moved to the rural area of Greene County, TN. Nestled at the foot of the Appalachian Mountains. I moved for a change of pace, a more affordable life and a better quality of life for me and my 2 kids. Also I love the mountains and the outdoors. I am from CT so this move has been a complete culture shock and honestly I hate it here. It may be at the mountains but there is no real outdoor life like there is back home. I need to get back to the North and I need snow, cold, small town feel and the mountains. It also needs to be affordable as I am a widowed mother. My husband death has afforded me to not have to worry about work right now while my kids are still young (9yr old twins) so employment isnt a factor. Im more so concerned about the other things. Any advise, opinions and direction would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-13-2015, 09:31 PM

122 posts, read 250,922 times
With a name like that if you were going to move to NH I'd recommend moving to a place that actually has the plant. So pretty much Manchester and south. I dig up Sassafras om my own property, it's one of my favorite plants! Berlin has a pretty depressed economy at the moment anyway, however it may be a good investment opportunity. No guarantees though.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C/O View Post
Well, we did it! Moved all the way up here in the mountains!!! Its amazing here! All the bashing I've read on these posts about this area is crazy....The people here are very kind and welcoming. It's been a great move for my family. It seems like there is always something to do on your days off. So if your looking of moving here, come up for a visit! See for yourself how wonderful this area is.
THANK YOU!!! Its All Ive been waiting to hear! I will be up there October 1st to meet a realtor & look at 8 different houses. I am SO excited!!

Old 10-08-2015, 01:21 PM

82 posts, read 85,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassifrass View Post
I drop by these forums every day, for at least the past year. Guess I am a lurker no more. I have read tons of posts, some from years ago and all the recent ones. The things I have read regarding Berlin have become alarming to say the least. I realize that you all have an opinion, but when all of them are the same, even when some can hardly agree on anything, It makes me think twice.

We may end up moving there, as my husband works in corrections and quite frankly I am worried about the move. We have a youngster, who will be starting first grade this next fall. I stay at home while she is small and had considered taking cooking classes at wmcc.

We had intended to buy a small house in town to begin with, and then purchase a property out of town and build our own place. Where we have been looking is still in the berlin tax base, which is terrible, but the price of a larger tract of land is reasonable.

I have begun to have this gnawing feeling in my gut though that this may be the wrong move for us, based on everything I have read. I look over the Berlin daily sun a lot to try and keep up with local news, and there never seems to be anything happening.

But every post I have read makes me feel like we would be walking into a slum. Is there nothing good about this place? Are we making a complete mistake considering here?

I just read today that the school system is asking for 1 million in extra funding this year for, from what I read, admin or salaries along those lines, and yet threated to cut funding for student programs if they don't get it, cut the admin salary if that is where the problem lies, and leave the kids programs out of it. The real issue is that property taxes cannot support it. They are already at 30/1000 and it is a breaking point for property owners. People are not going to keep their properties up for fear of a higher assessment. People are not going to move here with those kinds of rates and build or rehab, in fact it just encourages more people to leave. So the town starts to slum and it gets worse, as the tax base gets smaller funding goes down, so rates get increased. It is a neverending cycle. I like to keep my place nice, yes, its pride, with fresh paint, flowers, and even the white picket fence and quite frankly I feel that the reason the properties are so run down is because of this. Fear of the added assessment just for having a little pride. I don't care how poor you are, there is no excuse for not being neat and tidy, that comes from my depression surviving grandma.

I fully understand that most places where prisons are built are not that desirable, it is just the way it is. It will also bring a new class of riffraff to a town, maybe a little less here just because of this particular location, the cold, and lack of social services but cheap rent may make up for it, people want to be near their perps if possible. It may not lower the unemployment of a place as much as you would think when families start coming here looking for work, just to be near their inmates. Uggh, enough rambling. Nobody wants to hear that stuff anyway. Its not the shiny side of the coin.

But seriously, if you had to move here for your career, with a young child, would you?

I am not sure if, in this line of work, it is possible not to have to trade off a few things, usually location is one of them. Don't get me wrong, some of the other small towns here, sound ideal, but that isn't where work would be, gotta take the bad lumps with the good ones. We have other options, but I am not sure that they would be any better than here as far as location goes.
If you have other options - take one of them. Berlin is among the last places in the country I would live and living there with kids is unimaginable. There is not much near it either, in terms of nice towns to live in. The absolute closest in terms of a normal town and a decent-enough place for kids would be North Conway, over the mountains on Rt 16 (not sure how long a commute that would be).

Better yet, go across the border a couple miles from North Conway to Fryeburg, Maine where you can send your kids to the private Fryeburg Academy at no cost as a town resident. Fryeburg is very family-friendly, safe, close all kind of shopping in North Conway and not far from Portland, ME - by far New England's nicest city.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:32 PM

82 posts, read 85,812 times
Quote:
I drop by these forums every day, for at least the past year. Guess I am a lurker no more. I have read tons of posts, some from years ago and all the recent ones. The things I have read regarding Berlin have become alarming to say the least. I realize that you all have an opinion, but when all of them are the same, even when some can hardly agree on anything, It makes me think twice.

We may end up moving there, as my husband works in corrections and quite frankly I am worried about the move. We have a youngster, who will be starting first grade this next fall. I stay at home while she is small and had considered taking cooking classes at wmcc.

We had intended to buy a small house in town to begin with, and then purchase a property out of town and build our own place. Where we have been looking is still in the berlin tax base, which is terrible, but the price of a larger tract of land is reasonable.

I have begun to have this gnawing feeling in my gut though that this may be the wrong move for us, based on everything I have read. I look over the Berlin daily sun a lot to try and keep up with local news, and there never seems to be anything happening.

But every post I have read makes me feel like we would be walking into a slum. Is there nothing good about this place? Are we making a complete mistake considering here?

I just read today that the school system is asking for 1 million in extra funding this year for, from what I read, admin or salaries along those lines, and yet threated to cut funding for student programs if they don't get it, cut the admin salary if that is where the problem lies, and leave the kids programs out of it. The real issue is that property taxes cannot support it. They are already at 30/1000 and it is a breaking point for property owners. People are not going to keep their properties up for fear of a higher assessment. People are not going to move here with those kinds of rates and build or rehab, in fact it just encourages more people to leave. So the town starts to slum and it gets worse, as the tax base gets smaller funding goes down, so rates get increased. It is a neverending cycle. I like to keep my place nice, yes, its pride, with fresh paint, flowers, and even the white picket fence and quite frankly I feel that the reason the properties are so run down is because of this. Fear of the added assessment just for having a little pride. I don't care how poor you are, there is no excuse for not being neat and tidy, that comes from my depression surviving grandma.

I fully understand that most places where prisons are built are not that desirable, it is just the way it is. It will also bring a new class of riffraff to a town, maybe a little less here just because of this particular location, the cold, and lack of social services but cheap rent may make up for it, people want to be near their perps if possible. It may not lower the unemployment of a place as much as you would think when families start coming here looking for work, just to be near their inmates. Uggh, enough rambling. Nobody wants to hear that stuff anyway. Its not the shiny side of the coin.

But seriously, if you had to move here for your career, with a young child, would you?

I am not sure if, in this line of work, it is possible not to have to trade off a few things, usually location is one of them. Don't get me wrong, some of the other small towns here, sound ideal, but that isn't where work would be, gotta take the bad lumps with the good ones. We have other options, but I am not sure that they would be any better than here as far as location goes.
Quote:
Just a quick update, we ended up in Tucson, AZ. Its where the employment came through. It isn't out of the question that we will end up in Berlin in a few years. It wasn't in the cards right now I guess. In this economy, we are just thankful for good work. It is hot as an iron here in the summer, but the other eight months of the year are nice, so I guess it could have been worse as far as locations go.
You dodged a bullet on that one. Whew!

Old 05-16-2016, 10:16 AM

41,478 posts, read 54,269,255 times
We still have not, due to a number of things, made that visit to Berlin. Still on the list.

if you do visit Fryeburg, Me there is a great tavern diner just east of town. it is called the Two Dog Tavern and the food, service and ambiance at outstanding.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:19 AM

22,239 posts, read 38,797,715 times
I haven't been through Berlin since about 2006, that was when the paper mill was still operating. We took the drive on highway 3 up to Colebrook, east 26 through Dixville Notch, down to Errol, and south to Berlin on Hwy 16.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,741 times
I have never visited Berlin,NH but I've seen many pictures and it looks like a beautiful mountain town. There is no money there probably because it's in the middle of nowhere. The only people that move to towns like that with no job are the rich retired people. I am born and raised in Boston, MA. Having under 60 murders a year is a good year in Boston. Boston is now know for being one of the nicest and low crime big cities in America if you believe it. We have many prisons here in mass and they are all in very nice low crime towns. You need to make six figures to live in those towns. So my point is, a small mountain town in New Hampshire as some of you call the ghetto, is a complete joke. Come down to Boston and you people will **** your pants. A bad neighborhood to you people is a good neighborhood to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire