Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 03:54 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times

Advertisements

fugedaboudit

with a report like that, even I won't go visit again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 11:57 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,548,448 times
I grew up in Groveton, another paper mill down now waaaaay down on it's luck. I don't remember the Upper Ammonoosuc River ever running orange but it sure was a mess. You didn't eat out of it or swim in it. It stunk, and got foamy. The air quality was really bad as well.

Of course, back then, the joke was ... "Well, at least it's not as bad as Berlin!" A misnomer perhaps, but it just goes to show how perceptions and ideas are passed along.

This has been an interesting thread to read. Seems folks really can't agree on what Berlin "is" these days, so like most things in life, going and checking it out yourself is always the best bet.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:30 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,092 times
My mother is from Berlin, and frankly, I have never seen anything scary or slum like in Berlin. It doesn't smell like rotten eggs anymore since they closed the paper mills, but it isn't bad at all. I am from NY state. Lived everywhere inbetween and all the way to the west coast. California to be exact. If Berlin scares anyone, you better never live in some of the places I've lived. I do feel bad, because a few years back some arsonist burnt down a small stretch of downtown. They did eventually catch him. But it's not like you guys are living with drive-bys and stabbings, etc, etc on a daily or weekly basis..There's not a place in Berlin that would scare me. Seems more like Mayberry. For those of you who think it is so bad, you must come from Mayberry. Berlin's a small city (11,000) that has fallen on hard times. But "scary"/ "slummy/ etc are not words I would ever use to describe Berlin. Boring-yes. Ghetto/ slummy-hel l no! God if they had one murder, you would probably hear about it for years. I guess it depends on where and what you come from. I've lived in cities that would get 1 to 2 murders a day...Berlin is at the other end of the spectrum..Half of my family that I don't ever get to see lives in Berlin. I lived in Berlin when I was two, so I am told. My family owns Santas village. I'm sure most of you know where and what that is. My mother and her cousins all worked there as a kid. I think it's neat that Berlin is one of the few towns that years ago taught their kids in both french and english..Just thought I would throw in that extra..

Last edited by supermanpansy; 07-19-2012 at 03:41 PM..

Old 10-26-2012, 01:00 PM
C/O

2 posts, read 11,318 times
Default Nice

Well, we did it! Moved all the way up here in the mountains!!! Its amazing here! All the bashing I've read on these posts about this area is crazy....The people here are very kind and welcoming. It's been a great move for my family. It seems like there is always something to do on your days off. So if your looking of moving here, come up for a visit! See for yourself how wonderful this area is.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:47 PM

6,569 posts, read 6,732,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C/O View Post
Well, we did it! Moved all the way up here in the mountains!!! Its amazing here! All the bashing I've read on these posts about this area is crazy....The people here are very kind and welcoming. It's been a great move for my family. It seems like there is always something to do on your days off. So if your looking of moving here, come up for a visit! See for yourself how wonderful this area is.
Northern NH is beautiful. Of course your family is doing fine.....you have an excellent job with amazing federal benifits. Most folks up there are in difficult circumstances unless they are older, retired folks from the paper mills. Enjoy

Old 10-26-2012, 05:45 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C/O View Post

Glad you like it! Berlin needs some good people

Old 01-03-2013, 10:09 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
I found my pictures on google and followed one to this thread

Where's windy? Closest I got to Berlin was Walmart last fall in Sept food shoppin' for Muster in the Mountains.

Last summer was rough with less work and so less play dough.. Didn't get to ride to Errol or shop in the gun store there either. so I got no report on Berlin, but with the mills gone, the stink has to be gone too, and so will lots of dirt be gone.

But comon back windy! I always loved a fool who wants tp play.......

Ya know what windy? You didn't add any pics i wanted......

Try out this one........

January 3 rd 1977 first party to make it to summit on Washington for New Years Alive...

1 guy died, about 60 were badly hurt.....

Here's another but I only know it's on the Quay at Mt Adams and my coat is green mid 80's sometime.

And just to prove Berlin isn't too FAR this is Muster in the Mountains at the Mt Washington Auto Rd last Sept 2012 LOL

It's cool my pics end up on google.....

I need to get some OLD Gray Knob pics up, because i can't find any.... Craig Camp too

Maybe Muster in the Mountains???

I just loved reading how far Bartlett is from Berlin...... What a Hoot... Might be all of a hour and a half if you go slow.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:15 AM

What a riot, I had no idea google would find all these images.. Some I took, others i have no idea.

muster in the mountains - Google Search

Old 05-21-2013, 07:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,449 times
Default I Moved to Berlin

I moved to Berlin a couple of months ago. Got a terrific antique house in great condition with a big yard and garden for a third of what similar homes sell for in other White Mountain towns. I see Mt Adams, the second highest mountain in the northeast from almost every room. I am 15 minutes for either Pinkham or Appalachia trail heads and almost instant access to the best mountain hiking, x-country skiing, snow shoeing and biking in the eastern US. The people here are somewhat insular, but without exception friendly and helpful. Though the downtown especially looks down on its luck, people care for their homes and their families. The sound of police or fire sirens is very rare. I regularly see peregrine falcons, which appear to be nesting on Mt. Forist. I've found a great restaurant in Gorham and a fine brew pub on the north side of North Conway. Unless I was quite a bit wealthier and could afford a nice old farmhouse on Randolph Hill, I couldn't be happier. I've been impressed.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabatia View Post
I moved to Berlin a couple of months ago. Got a terrific antique house in great condition with a big yard and garden for a third of what similar homes sell for in other White Mountain towns. I see Mt Adams, the second highest mountain in the northeast from almost every room. I am 15 minutes for either Pinkham or Appalachia trail heads and almost instant access to the best mountain hiking, x-country skiing, snow shoeing and biking in the eastern US. The people here are somewhat insular, but without exception friendly and helpful. Though the downtown especially looks down on its luck, people care for their homes and their families. The sound of police or fire sirens is very rare. I regularly see peregrine falcons, which appear to be nesting on Mt. Forist. I've found a great restaurant in Gorham and a fine brew pub on the north side of North Conway. Unless I was quite a bit wealthier and could afford a nice old farmhouse on Randolph Hill, I couldn't be happier. I've been impressed.
What do you do to earn money for a living. Berlin isn't exactly a hot spot for jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire