Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the political temperature in NH?
Conservative 12 33.33%
Liberal 3 8.33%
In between 6 16.67%
Depends on the town/city 9 25.00%
Not Sure 6 16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 09:47 AM

409 posts, read 1,748,346 times

Advertisements

You don't have to give me your personal view, I am just curious as to the overall general politicl view of NH. I hear the motto "Live free or die", but couls someone elaborate on that? Forgive my ignorance, but I would love to hear from people who live there rather than just read up on this type of thing or guess. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2006, 03:21 PM

104 posts, read 467,138 times
I think people here overall tend to be more conservative than people in Mass. and definitely more so than in Vermont. I'd say NH may be the most conservative of the New England states. But many of the people moving up here from Mass. bring their political viewpoints with them. There is a pretty equal mix here, including a lot of independents and libertarians. Many of the people here tend to be rugged Yankees who have made their way to success by working hard, and for whom the liberal platform doesn't jive. But I know a lot of liberals too. Pretty much, anything goes here!

Old 08-21-2006, 04:36 PM

439 posts, read 721,278 times
New Hampshire was once one of the most conservative states 25-30 years ago- and the most republican/conservative in the northeast. That has changed however, the state has been 'blue' in the presidential elections of 1992, 1996, and 2004. Yes many have moved from neighboring Mass. and brought their political views with them, but also the 'radical' right wing, which is what most of the GOP has become, has turned off many in New Hampshire which may hold conservative views on economic issues, but tend to be liberal on social issues.
And therefore, it has joined the rest of New England in becoming a 'block of blue states' in the region.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:47 AM

86 posts, read 367,213 times
New Hampshire has a strong libertarian streak. In fact, the Libertarians have targeted New Hampshire, encouraging its members to move here, and become involved in politics. Libertarian in the sense that NH wants minimum involvement by the government in their lives. There are a minimum of laws, regulations, etc. The flip side is that there is a minimum of public services and public redress of grievances. Courts favor the plaintiff. Judges are not elected.

In terms of voting, I think NH would like to vote moderate Republican given a chance - very frugal, but not ideologues. Our senators and representatives call themselves conservative, but they are not conservative by the standards I now see in Washington. They are fiscally conservative, but don't have an ideological agenda.

This describes almost all of New Hampshire. The major exception is Hanover, a college town - Dartmouth College - which votes Democratic.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:04 AM

409 posts, read 1,748,346 times
Thanks for the description. I was also asking about Hanover in another thread, so you answered both of my questions. Thanks.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:26 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
What kind of conservative are most NH conservatives? Are they the working class, traditional values, old-fashioned type? Or the old money type? Or both?

Just curious.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:20 AM

104 posts, read 467,138 times
I'd say they mostly tend to be self-made working class people which hold to traditional family values, as most native New Englanders do. Not too much "old money" here in NH! I heard many of them call in on Massachusetts talk-radio shows and they usually express moderate conservative viewpoints, which include favoring traditional values, smaller, less-interventive government and favoring tax laws that make it feasible for small businesses to thrive, as opposed to bleeding them dry.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthangel1776 View Post
I'd say they mostly tend to be self-made working class people which hold to traditional family values, as most native New Englanders do. Not too much "old money" here in NH! I heard many of them call in on Massachusetts talk-radio shows and they usually express moderate conservative viewpoints, which include favoring traditional values, smaller, less-interventive government and favoring tax laws that make it feasible for small businesses to thrive, as opposed to bleeding them dry.
I'm all for policies that promote small, locally-owned businesses. But I'm all for policies that bleed dry Big Business (since Big Business hurts the locally-owned businesses).

Does that make me a liberal or a conservative?

Old 08-22-2006, 11:41 AM

439 posts, read 721,278 times
Mark S.

I would say you are center to slightly left- the current GOP cares nothing for small business-only the huge corporate monsters and their overpaid CEO'S

Old 08-22-2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
the current GOP cares nothing for small business-only the huge corporate monsters and their overpaid CEO'S
I could not agree more. Further, that seems the very antithesis of freedom to me. I love NH's motto: "Live Free or Die." If that holds true, isn't it time for NH to kick out Big Business and invest in their own economy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire