Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:59 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,547 times

Advertisements

Hanover was just picked by Money magazine as the 2nd best town in the country to
live in--you can read the article in the "Living"section of the cnn homepage or
go to the link below for the video...

Best Places to Live 2007 - Money Magazine

Look at that median home price....Hanover is great, if you're rich. i will say, it's nice to be able to take advantage of Hanover's attributes without having to pay to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 01:07 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
Hanover was just picked by Money magazine as the 2nd best town in the country to
live in--you can read the article in the "Living"section of the cnn homepage or
go to the link below for the video...

Best Places to Live 2007 - Money Magazine

Look at that median home price....Hanover is great, if you're rich. i will say, it's nice to be able to take advantage of Hanover's attributes without having to pay to live there.

I often wonder what the criteria are for these "picks" from year to year. Nashua NH was picked as best town to live in several years in a row just a few years ago. Nothing has changed. It's still a great town to live in, it just doesn't get "picked" by the powers that be.

As for housing costs in Hanover, you are right on. However, if you're easily able to afford Hanover, then you can afford other great places as well - many of which are a lot closer to NH's short, but beautiful coastline.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:08 PM

793 posts, read 3,122,159 times
Sort of strange, Hanover is so tucked away in a corner, most in-state don't even think of Hanover, even w/ the presence of an Ivy league college. I have no issue with Hanover and it is a gorgeous area, but these surveys are so god-awful with the criteria utilized, it is hard to take seriously: simply a way to garner some attention and revenue, rather than offer some varying criteria for varying tastes. Some of the towns high on the list are overly congested surbia hell-holes, such as Lake Mary, Fla. Not everyone cares about a good school system with movie theaters, malls and Applebees within five minutes. Probably this is how Salem of all places got mentioned as the one other town besides Hanover representing NH in the top 100. I too recall Nashua being on this list years ago and when I read the overview, that was actually when I really began to mock the absurdity of these "best of" lists, whetherr they be towns, colleges, etc... . I recall it being stated that Nashua was just a 20 minute drive to Boston. How much research would it take to validate the absurdity of that statement, even without traffic tie-ups?

Old 07-17-2007, 04:21 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,162,803 times
I think these articles are about selling magazines. Who in their right mind could think there is one best town in the USA?
I will say one thing, these articles have been the ruin of many a nice town that was picked as a move-to target by too many people after reading about someone's dart-board "research" and conclusions.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:11 PM

121 posts, read 563,330 times
Hanover is nowhere as nice or great as this crazy list makes it out to be. There are a dozen towns in NH alone that offer more cultural, educational, and recreational opportunities than Hanover and at a better price!

Old 07-17-2007, 05:59 PM

42 posts, read 161,283 times
Default Diversity a large factor

I just received my Money Mag and as I read I noticed that all or most of the picked towns had a higher percentage of diversity. Maybe Hanover has a larger population of different races as opposed to Nashua.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:39 AM

793 posts, read 3,122,159 times
That is another point about why this sort of marshmellow fluff survey is to be ignored. One of the criteria that eliminates a town from consideration is, and I quote ...
<<Screen out retirement-oriented communities, places where income is less than 90% or more than 180% of the state median and towns that are more than 95% white.>>
I guess its due time again for me to apologize for being Caucasian and not broadening my horizons. Even better, note the 95%WHITE reference, not ONE RACE as well. Is this criteria presuming one to be a skinhead if they live in such a place? I'm glad I cancelled my Money subscription years ago- my money management skills have actually improved since.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:11 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
I heard this morning that the current issue of Family Circle magazine has a list of 100 best small towns (under 24,000 population, I believe). The top five were discussed on TV this morning. I caught the discussion about one town in Colorado, I believe it was -- and it showed a median income of about $88K, with the median home price in the area of $550K. Now, I'm still trying to work the numbers to figure out how a family earning $88K can afford a home at that price...or, how they can think it's one of the best places to live if they can't even get close to a home in the median price range. Remember, "median" does not mean "average".

I haven't seen the list myself and wondered if anyone has.

Last edited by swbtoo; 07-18-2007 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: add line

Old 07-18-2007, 03:40 PM

121 posts, read 563,330 times
According to Family Circle Hanover is NOT one of the 10 best towns in America. HA HA. I guess Hanover is overrated.

And the Winners Are:
1. Castle Rock, CO
2. Diamond Bar, CA
3. Morton Grove, IL
4. Cedar Park, TX
5. Derby, KS
6. Cooper City, FL
7. Madison, MS
8. Franklin, MA
9. Kennesaw, GA
10. Chanhassen, MN

Old 07-18-2007, 04:58 PM

42 posts, read 161,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
According to Family Circle Hanover is NOT one of the 10 best towns in America. HA HA. I guess Hanover is overrated.

And the Winners Are:
1. Castle Rock, CO
2. Diamond Bar, CA
3. Morton Grove, IL
4. Cedar Park, TX
5. Derby, KS
6. Cooper City, FL
7. Madison, MS
8. Franklin, MA
9. Kennesaw, GA
10. Chanhassen, MN
Diamond Bar, CA???? Wait a minute......I live about 1/2 hour from there and it is NOT a place you'd want to live. Home prices are in the upper $600K and it's mostly an Asian community with mostly Asian markets and shops. Who are these people that decide where the best places to live are???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire