Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the Union Leader provide objective and quality news reporting?
Yes 9 56.25%
No 7 43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 08:36 AM

247 posts, read 538,614 times

Advertisements

What is your opinion of the UL.It is a fair and objective news source for NH? Does it provide the reader with valuable information in a timely manner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 09:04 AM

81 posts, read 116,397 times
I've noticed that some articles are relatively objective and tell both sides of an issue although one side seems favored and other articles are totally one sided with apparently no interest in other points of view. It's better than it used to be if that's any consolation.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,827,375 times
The news paper did have decently balanced news presentation along with RW nutcake editorials. Now they put the editorials into the news. There is a free stack of papers at the Exit 4 bus station and I still don't bother with the "Onion Eater".

Old 05-03-2011, 12:00 PM

6,575 posts, read 6,750,656 times
They are as balanced as the Concord Monitor Of course they lean right. Big deal.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:12 PM

223 posts, read 540,603 times
I get both the concord monitor and the Union leader. I think the monitor is much more bias (and to the left). However, being an old fashion conservative, could be I don't much notice a right leaning bias in the Union Leader.....

for Fair and Balanced, you need Fox News, don't you?

Old 05-03-2011, 01:53 PM

One thing i find objectionable is how they reserve the right to reject comments on their website articles that they deem "inappropriate" .It seems biased to me,they should let the readers choose which comments are inappropriate not the person with the agenda behind the curtains.Unless it is blatantly offensive of course but their is computer software that can screen those out.

Also, some their online articles appear to be hastily written by junior high schoolers with very poor editing and paragraph structures.I only read the printed newspaper occasionally,but the given the UL's reputation thought this would be an interesting question.

There are lot's of scared people out there afraid or don't know how to say what is on their mind, this is the antithesis of freedom and gets people nowhere.

"There is nothing so powerful as truth"- Daniel Webster.Coming from a media source this is very "ironic". "The truth is in the gray area,not the black and white"- Me

Old 05-03-2011, 01:57 PM

The Portsmouth Herald & The Nashua paper & the Keene paper & the TV station WMUR ALL lean left......but it's always any right leaning media that seems to get the Cassablanca treatment: "I'm shocked, shocked gambling is going on here". Hence you see Fox News get smeared, but MSNBC CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN the NY Times, the Boston Globe & on & on & on skate without any complaint about bias.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:10 PM

"There is nothing so powerful as truth, and often nothing so strange" is the correct quote .

I agree the liberal media is a dog and pony show and the UL has it's place but that doesn't mean it is exempt from criticism.All media should be criticized equally.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:19 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,378,952 times
I wouldn't even line a bird cage with the UL.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:11 PM

The UL lets its politics bleed into its news just like every single liberal media organ in the country. In a perfect world I would like to see straight reporting, but that's not going to happen. I'm not giving the OP a hard time, but I have to laugh when I see conservative media questioned about bias. Liberal media overwhelms conservative media in this country. And liberal bias is what the mainstream media is all about.

And the Concord Monitor is 10 times worse than the UL will ever be concerning bias in its news stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire