Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:26 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
RIght, but that is only for a small group at the low end of the income scale. Once you get to $34k, you are paying 7%. If you only make $34k it would be tough to afford to live in VT...
The sad fact is probably most VT'ers aren't making much more than $30K due to the poor economy here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 08:31 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Motoracer, I am not following you on NH. I know carry law in VT just is with no more than a drivers Lic. Nh if you are a resident you get a ccw version called lic. It costs 10 bucks and is good 4 years.

If you have a ton of money you can buy a machinegun and or a suppressor with the papaers and the tax stamps.

I am not sure what 'slight correction' means to you. The only laws i know that changed recently were before the last election and about automatic blades which became legal last Spring.

Oh! maybe you mean the right to bear arms when you belive a threat is imminent, which passed Jan 9th I think. Pretty much that boils down to you may remove a fire arm from it's holster, and if a bad guy or a fool see's the weapon he won't stand much of any chance to whine and dance.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The sad fact is probably most VT'ers aren't making much more than $30K due to the poor economy here...
I am not sure but that seems to be a problem in NH too.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:53 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,116,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Motoracer, I am not following you on NH. I know carry law in VT just is with no more than a drivers Lic. Nh if you are a resident you get a ccw version called lic. It costs 10 bucks and is good 4 years.

If you have a ton of money you can buy a machinegun and or a suppressor with the papaers and the tax stamps.

I am not sure what 'slight correction' means to you. The only laws i know that changed recently were before the last election and about automatic blades which became legal last Spring.

Oh! maybe you mean the right to bear arms when you belive a threat is imminent, which passed Jan 9th I think. Pretty much that boils down to you may remove a fire arm from it's holster, and if a bad guy or a fool see's the weapon he won't stand much of any chance to whine and dance.
I was referring to the election results, and the gains made by more conservative candidates. Who knows if this will change for the better as a result, but in the end, it seems like pretty much every state is sliding downhill. Some faster than others. The advantage NH has over all the others is the structure of it's government in my honest opinion.

There is no owning of suppressors in VT. Other than the oppressive $200 tax, suppressor ownership is quite affordable ( about $500-$1000), and it's environmentally friendly.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:23 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The median family income (family of 4) in VT in 2009 was $77k:
Income Data - State Median Income - U.S Census Bureau

Old 01-26-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
I was referring to the election results, and the gains made by more conservative candidates. Who knows if this will change for the better as a result, but in the end, it seems like pretty much every state is sliding downhill. Some faster than others. The advantage NH has over all the others is the structure of it's government in my honest opinion.

There is no owning of suppressors in VT. Other than the oppressive $200 tax, suppressor ownership is quite affordable ( about $500-$1000), and it's environmentally friendly.

Ok, but the slight correction thing threw me off. I think we need a little more correction in NH state Gov., man that Govnor likes spending.

Single handed he created a Traffic Safety Unit equal to the state police, with cars and uniform 180 degrees out from what the state police have.

In other words where a state trooper's uniform is green the other unit is a deep tan, and where a state troppers uniform is that deep tan the other unit is green.

Same thing goes for the cars, painted 180 degrees out.

Now we had Border Patroll, Staties, Fish and Game the most powerfull of all, Townies, sheriffs, plus DMV with guns, and it's cars and it's safety patroll, and NH is a dinkweed sized state.

We don't need no more stinking police, and we really don't need no more new units of any kinds of police. At this point just about every other person is a cop, and if we get any more cops, it will be cops busting cops, since almost everyone but little old blue hair ladies is gonna be a cop.

Me, I can take my cops and or I can leave them. I am pretty neutral, they serve some worthy functions in society, but we don't need every single person in the state to be the cops.

If we do who are the cops gonna bust? They don't do a very good job of busting themselves or even policing themselves.

It is getting harder as I age to command any dollars and then be taxed hard, but then see cop cars parked in much better driveways to much better houses than most non cops.

More or less I think cops should be a private affair, where who ever wants protection pays for it. Like if a guy doesn't want to own a gun he can buy police protection, and pay a $1,000.00 TAX a year for the privilege of not owning a gun.

2 years ago at 9:00 pm I ran my motorcycle into the back of a jeep. The jeep had just hit a moose. Mostly I was stopped, and trapped as the moose rolled off the jeep and the read bumper pinned my ft fender.

I was expecting a nasty ticket for that. But I got lucky. The cops didn't believe the jepp moose me were the correct accident, so I had to argue that before they left the scene the least they could do was finish off the moose. They did and then roared off north looking for the correct moose crash incident. Go figure?

The problem was no one was hurt, no one. Both occupants of the jeep were fine, I was fine, and so was my loving bride. We were all supposed to be dead. I was carrying too, but had a few ideas that if I shot that moose to end it's misery with in 300 ft of the road it would have been me heading off to jail and meet some fancy schumk lawyers, who can simply tap a wallet dry and do, not much else.

So yeah NH is a Police State, and I am not sure how that is in VT.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:26 PM

Seamus, this is worth a read:

http://www.vhfa.org/documents/housing-wages-2010.pdf

This report paints a pretty bleak, and accurate, picture of things in Vermont...

Old 01-27-2011, 08:39 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
ArcticHomeSteader,
Despite that, the unemployment rate in VT is 5.8%, well below the national rate. MA is at 8.2%. AK is 8.1%. When I think of VT, I think of skiing and vacations. I know I could never move there as what would I do for work? If you look at the largest employers in the state, it is a lot of tourism and healthcare:
America's Career InfoNet: Largest Employers

Old 01-27-2011, 09:47 AM

Yeah, the politicans keep harping on our "low" unemployment rate here, but it doesn't tell the whole story. A part time min. wage job doesn't do much good here. A high cost of living, and few jobs that pay enough to live on without either assistance or sharing with family or a roommate. The tourism focused economy is a large part of why this state is so unaffordable.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:57 PM

395 posts, read 458,381 times
Oh boy, another NH vs. Vermont thread. I usually have my comments removed from these threads because I tell the truth about just how much Vermont sucks.

High taxes, no jobs, everyone worried about maintaining the postcard image..........no thanks.

People in NH are too busy living their lives to be caught up in all of the superficial BS that Vermonters love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire