Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 12:05 AM

147 posts, read 353,735 times

Advertisements

My son and I visited Concord last month. He has applied to the University of N.H. (formerly Franklin Pierce) Law School. We spoke with a few of the students and were amazed at the high rents in the city. A one bedroom apartment in a house going for over $750 with out heat included. Most of the units in the immediate vicinity seemed to be in 1930's houses converted into apartments.
Are there apartments in the city that offer a one bedroom with utilities for less than $600 a month? Are there outlying areas that are cheaper with easy access (within 30 minute drive) to the school that offer cheaper rent?
His fiance should be taking her RN test in NY in a few months. We only noticed one hospital in the area. Would she be able to find work in Concord as an RN?
Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 03:43 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,340,477 times
The rental prices you are seeing are the norm. I doubt you would ever find a 1 bedroom w/ utilitys for $600.

The good news is that there are plenty of good paying jobs for folks in nursing around.

Best of luck.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:50 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,230,874 times
The high rents are just a first step into the astronomical cost of living in NH, and it continues to skyrocket. All those high-paying jobs are going away, but the government continues to tax and companies charge as if we still all get raises and health care insurance through our employers.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:51 AM

39 posts, read 56,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughMcs View Post
My son and I visited Concord last month. He has applied to the University of N.H. (formerly Franklin Pierce) Law School. We spoke with a few of the students and were amazed at the high rents in the city. A one bedroom apartment in a house going for over $750 with out heat included. Most of the units in the immediate vicinity seemed to be in 1930's houses converted into apartments.
Are there apartments in the city that offer a one bedroom with utilities for less than $600 a month? Are there outlying areas that are cheaper with easy access (within 30 minute drive) to the school that offer cheaper rent?
His fiance should be taking her RN test in NY in a few months. We only noticed one hospital in the area. Would she be able to find work in Concord as an RN?
Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for any information.
The cost of living in NH is high to begin with. To find the rent you are looking for you will need to either go much further north, or check the Manchester area. Go there and see Manch for yourself. As with any other town, there are more and less desirable areas. Many advertise using signs in windows rather than in the newspaper; these may be the nicer apts.

Off exit 10 in Hooksett are some nice complexes. The rent for a 1BR may be around $800+ but heat/hot water are included, which is very helpful during the cold NH winters.

There are a few hospitals w/in 30 mins of Concord but again, she will need to at least go online (google NH hospitals) and apply.

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2011, 04:57 PM

830 posts, read 1,532,961 times
These are the norm. I moved here after paying Boston rents, and expected that as a smaller and "less desirable" region, I would be able to find an apartment for about $500... ha ha ha. I paid about $800 for an apartment in a ghetto area of Manchester. The thing is... property taxes are sky-high. It didn't occur to me that as a renter, that cost would get passed on to me... but of course it does. If I had thought about it, I would have realized that. (Of course, my ghetto Manch apartment would still have gone for at least $1200 in Boston.)

There are a lot of lower-priced apartments in the towns surrounding Concord (Chichester, Pittsfield), but your son will be in a very rural area... probably not what he wants as a student. Or, he could consider sharing a house/larger apartment with other students or young professionals. I honestly have no idea how common that is around here... no one I have met since moving here has ever done that, but living in large expensive cities throughout my 20s, that was the norm, even for people in their 30s and 40s.

Oh - regarding RN jobs - that shouldn't be a worry. Concord has Concord Hospital, as well as New Hampshire State Hospital. Manchester, just down I-93 (easy commute) has Elliot Hospital, Catholic Medical Center, and a VA Hospital. There are also several large satellite offices of Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center (one in Concord, one in Manchester, one in Nashua), and of Concord Hospital. (Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center itself is the teaching hospital at Dartmouth College, but it's not a very easy commute from Concord.) There's also Exeter Hospital, which is about a 50 minute commute away. (Seems long, but in this area, a long commute is pretty common.) I'm moving into another area of healthcare, and so I'm pretty well up on the healthcare job environment in this area right now, and it's pretty good. But some do commute to Boston (which would not be a terrible commute if they settled in Manchester - about 15 minutes south of Concord) for hospital jobs.

Last edited by cowbell76; 01-25-2011 at 05:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire