Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:50 PM

40 posts, read 128,639 times

Advertisements

Here is an article I just wrote that provides a good summary of the issue:
Top 5 Reasons to Support or Oppose Proposed “Northern Pass” Transmission Line | Northern New England Villages

I'm curious as to what folks here think of the idea? Good, bad, just plain ugly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 10:09 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,731 times
Good summary. One point I didn't see mentioned was that the line will enable wind developers to tie in their projects at a greatly reduced cost, since they won't have to build their own lines. The area surrounding the line could be inundated with proposed wind projects.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:20 PM

40 posts, read 128,639 times
Be Free, from what I've read the line could not be used by any other power source. However, if what you say is true that would certainly be a point in support . . . do you have a source? Although given the level of opposition the transmission line is drawing, I would bet that such a surge in wind projects would also draw their ire.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:04 PM

Here's where I read it:

Proposed NU-NSTAR merger could boost wind power, transmission

Unless they're not talking about the same transmission line?

Old 02-02-2011, 09:53 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times
I would say they summed up the pros and cons pretty well. I consider most opportunities to get energy via ways that don't involve buying it from people who hate us to be a good idea.

My concerns are basically appearance, environmental impact, and property ownership issues. I feel like these issues can be resolved in a reasonable way though... Likewise I've seen big power lines and I don't feel like they "ruined" the area I was in. Actually a lot of wildlife LOVES the forest edges around it...

Old 02-02-2011, 01:19 PM

477 posts, read 899,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
I would say they summed up the pros and cons pretty well. I consider most opportunities to get energy via ways that don't involve buying it from people who hate us to be a good idea.

My concerns are basically appearance, environmental impact, and property ownership issues. I feel like these issues can be resolved in a reasonable way though... Likewise I've seen big power lines and I don't feel like they "ruined" the area I was in. Actually a lot of wildlife LOVES the forest edges around it...
A very good post and one I whole heartily agree with.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:21 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times
Thanks.

The company needs to do its part; but I think this could be a very worthwhile project. Likewise I'm not going to stop heading north because there is some power line...

Old 02-03-2011, 05:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
This will bring the NIMBY's out of the woodwork trying to stop any progress they dislike.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:20 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,456 times
Does anyone have the proposed route(s) of this project? I've heard they are either considering existing line paths, or constructing a new path.

I ask because we're looking at a house and decent piece of land that possible could be effected, and although I'm no NIMBY, I don't want want parts of my land taken from me via eminent domain(for example) for this, or anything for that matter.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:02 AM

motoracer - there's a map at the link I posted, but it's from November and not very specific. If you can find their SEC filing, there may be more specifics in it. I assume they've also done or will have to do an Environmental Impact Statement. That will have exact locations for the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire