Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 10:41 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times

Advertisements

Sevdie,

We've been looking into various locales throughout New England. I ran across this and thought you might find it useful:

"Bethlehem is a popular resort town for relaxation. Part of its popularity comes from the air, which in summer has a reputation for being nearly pollen free. For years the town was a haven for people suffering from hay fever. It was once the site of the national headquarters of the American Hay Fever Association." -- Celebrate the States: New Hampshire, by Steve Otfinoski, Benchmark Books, 1999
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2006, 06:58 AM

409 posts, read 1,747,581 times
Thanks! This may be a place worth visiting during the summer to see how my husband reacts to it.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:01 PM

639 posts, read 3,526,841 times
Talking Allergies

Hi Sevdie,

When I lived down in Boston I never had allergies in all the years living there, but as soon as I moved to NH I got the red, watery, itchy eyes; so I went to NE Allergy down in Andover, MA. to this Dr. Johnson (he's on channel 5 up here alot of times) and I had the scratch test done. I figured it was from moving from the city to the country. Well, come to find out it was DUST and DUST MITES. See how you never know? I couldn't believe it. I was told that allergies can develop any time to any one through the years, not necessarily when you're young and not just because you moved, they can lay dormant. So I did the Patanol eye drops for a while, then when that didn't work I started the shots up through this clinic and stayed with the shots for a good 3 to 4 years until I didn't have to go back any more and you went once a week, then it was twice a month and all that for so many months until a new serum started up and you had to start up once a week again etc...Now once a year for about 2 weeks I only have to use eye drops (the Patanol) and that's it. So it wasn't pollen or anything like that, I seriously thought for sure that's what it was with all the trees, shrubs and flowering gardens around here, but it wasn't. I lived in a condo in the city that had the older radiators and oil heat and never had one bit of trouble, ever and you'd think that would be dustier? Course not! When I moved to NH the house has base board gas heat and wham that did it for developing allergies for me. It was brutal until I went to NE Allergy and had them figure it out on what it was.

Old 09-01-2006, 05:24 PM

Tell me more about the shots. I read somewhere (I can't remember where) there is a shot you can get every three months for allergies.

Old 09-03-2006, 07:19 AM

65 posts, read 305,400 times
I had a tests and was also allergic to dust mites but only minor. But I was also allergic to mold, milk protien, egg whites ( freaked me out)and juniper/cedar. I was sick for 5 months this year.

I think it was the combination of spring time and juniper at the same time. My wife and I on on our way to San Antonio texas early Monday to check it out. I know its still somewhat humid there but she wishes to see her sister she has not seen in 5 years.

Then we are going to El Paso Texas in December which is more arid desert drier heat. You may have allergies any where in the country you just need to visit them to find out. If you are seriously considering NH then come in the dead of winter to see if you think the cold is too much. But if allergies are a big deal then perhaps early summer.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the advice. I will have to come in the summer for sure. The winters is something we know we want and living with the allergies would be worse for him than living with bitter cold and snow.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:40 PM

19 posts, read 66,759 times
You are right Mark, everyone says that of Bethlehem, up here. I live in Littleton and my little one had allergies in Spring, not bad though. We are also surrounded by trees so I am sure that adds to it. I have also read in a book about New Hampshire, about Bethlehem's air being so clear.. Good luck to all of you, New Hampshire's Welcome sign, when you enter the state says "Welcome to New Hampshire, you're going to love it here!" that is no lie, and the motto is "Live Free or Die" it is on our license plates, I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire