Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 10:11 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,675,023 times

Advertisements

If your thinking a mobile when you move to NH, take a look at condos. Mobiles have very little value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 11:05 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,339,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
It takes hard work and dedication to afford a real house with a nice yard. Nobody wants slackers living nearby in trailer homes or apartments. As far as public assistance goes, if they had real jobs and were hard workers they wouldn't need it. New Hampshire has been traditionally a state which has frowned upon hand outs and I hope they don't lower their standards in the future for people who don't want to put on work boots in the morning.
Did I mention people who are slackers and receiving public assistance? No I mentioned people who work for a living. Never once did I say anything about public assistance. Again, not everyone who lives in an apartment or a trailer is a low life receiving welfare.

Yes it takes a lot of hard work to have a nice house and a yard. But unless you have a trust fund, most people live in an apartment 1st. Those people are welfare low lifes? My husband and I -college graduates- lived in an apartment first after being married- we could not afford a house first thing after college. We worked hard to save for our house. I resent the fact that you imply all people who live in apartments or trailers are welfare low lifes. It is simply not true.

I do agree however about the frowning on handouts part. God knows my husband and I have worked hard enough, I have no tolerance for people living off of me-the tax payer. Everyone should work-two or three jobs if they need to. Do what you need to do work wise to feed your family-don't expect me to. My husband and I have worked more than one job in the past to save for our home, etc. as I know many other people have as well.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:22 PM

354 posts, read 325,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
It takes hard work and dedication to afford a real house with a nice yard. Nobody wants slackers living nearby in trailer homes or apartments. As far as public assistance goes, if they had real jobs and were hard workers they wouldn't need it. New Hampshire has been traditionally a state which has frowned upon hand outs and I hope they don't lower their standards in the future for people who don't want to put on work boots in the morning.
I see we have a bigot in the midst here. You think because someone lives in a mob ile home that they are less than you. How American of you. That would be why most people have such a distaste about their thoughts about Northeastern people and their elitist ways and thought.

I have seen some mobile homes that would cost more than the house you most likely live in. They can range in price from very little money - extremely extravegant. You should see some in Malibu. YES, there are mobile home communities there and even some of the more famous stars own some. Get your head out (you know where) and learn some things before you post your drivel.

Last edited by MOHIllbillyWoman; 07-22-2007 at 01:37 PM..

Old 07-22-2007, 01:36 PM

354 posts, read 325,874 times
Here is a link to an article about one of the most expensive mobile home parks in the nation.

Mobile Homes? Think Of Them as Beach Houses - New York Times

And this next link is to a mobile home that happens to be for sale in said park in Malibue, CA. The asking price for this particular mobile home happens to be $1,800,000, probably more than your home cost you an d the people that live there happen to either work for a living or are retired.

Malibu, CA - Ocean View Property For Sale - Home For Sale - Vacation Home - Second Home

Like I said in the post above, you need to learn more about what you post before you post the ignorance and such you have about mobile homes.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:45 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,106,883 times
You know a mobile home can look just as nice as a regular home. All it takes is putting some vinyl on the outside covering that old tin look and some nice skirting surrounding the bottom. Nowadays, mobile homes come with fireplaces and jacuzzin tubs. something i don't even have in my own block home. I've lived in both block home and mobile home. The only thing i would suggest if buying a mobile home is that you buy a newer one. The older ones were not built as good as they are today. Modular homes are similar but not set on wheels. Modulars are actually built in pieces in a factory and shipped to your destination and put together. These can be placed over a basement even where a mobile home cannot.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:48 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,183,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOHIllbillyWoman View Post
That would be why most people have such a distaste about their thoughts about Northeastern people and their elitist ways and thought.
Please don't "lump" those of us in the northeast with "Torrey" - If you look at his profile, he's in Texas.

Gypsy - We actually looked at a manufactured home before we bought the house we have now - the manufactured home was technically a double wide. It was welded to a foundation that could easily house three cars and was on its own land. It was a "bank-owned" home and it was really a nice home. Unfortunately, it was hard to find financing for a "manufactured home" and we didn't pursue it, so went with a "stick built" instead. Someone else bought it with cash and it's back on the market now <g>. We would have had no qualms at all about buying/living in that house.

The manufactured homes of today are NOT like they were many, many years ago and hopefully you will find something you like.

Frankly, for those who say negative things about people who own manufactured homes, the same could be said about some who live in and own "stick built" homes. "Pride of ownership" does not, in my opinion, apply only to those in "stick built homes" - it applies to anyone - you can have people living in "stick built homes" who don't take care of their property and it can look like crap - it depends on the people! Hope this mini-rant makes sense

Old 07-22-2007, 03:45 PM

562 posts, read 661,457 times
Yeah, I am in Texas. I am from the Northeast, and coming back there. If I don't like apartments and mobile homes near where I live, that's my business and there are a LOT of others who share my opinion who just don't say so.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:04 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,106,883 times
Well i'll be first to say i have nothing against people who live in Mobile homes. Like I said before, they are built today with more of a home feeling to them. I wouldn't hesitate moving into a new one even today and i'm not on any kind of government assistant. In fact, i have 3 years of college, my own business working from home now, my husband and I own our own home, a 4 wheeler, travel trailer and a brand new 2007 truck and 3 other cars. If i was to move into a mobile home today, it would be because i don't want to have a mortgage the rest of my life trying to afford a $200,000 home only to have that "acceptance" feeling from people like you. Not only that but having to get rid of all our extra Toys just to afford our monthly mortgage. Some of us just have more priorities in life like having the extra toys rather than having all our money go into a house payment every month.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:48 PM

562 posts, read 661,457 times
I don't sacrifice having other things to make a mortgage payment. As a matter of fact I own my home now, and don't plan on selling it when I return to New England. I work very hard for my money, and sacrifice a lot of time away from my family to make sure they are well taken care of. I have planned the rest of my life ahead of me so that in my elder years I and my wife will never have to work and will never want a thing.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:41 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,092,024 times
I appreciate the advice here. I believe everyone has the right to his or her opinion.

However, just because a person cannot afford his or her own home, it does not mean they are slackers, stupid, live off the state. Ever check out the prices of homes in my neck of the woods? (go to the Long Island forum). Folks making $100,000 per family can't get by here.

My family would be good neighbors. Just because we don't have a lot of money doesn't mean my husband doesn't work (he does) or I'm ignorant (I have a Master's Degree). Generalizations hurt everyone.

I'm happy you've done well for yourself Torrey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire